Any idea what making holes in the ceiling?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Big Boy

Re: Any idea what making holes in the ceiling?

Post by Big Boy »

Rats (dead now) removed, and new traps set. :dance:

At least if we catch another one, we'll know what to expect. That was some serious noise at 2am.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

The noise is like an unintended alarm that comes with the traps to let you know they have caught a rat. The smell is the other way they let you know. :twisted: :twisted:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

After the noise, we had to get it investigated before there was any chance of a smell. I'm just a bit disappointed that it took exactly 1 month to catch them.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think good idea to try to determine how they get in there. Nearby tree branches...something leaning on an outside wall they can climb on up to the roof openings etc. There is an answer...somewhere. :?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is something I've been wondering about. Basically the only logical (to me) access is through the building plot behind the house, which regularly becomes overgrown. It's literally a mini jungle, and a full time job keeping the growth down. We chop it back, but 2 days later it is twice as bad. However, I still don't see how they get into the roof space - there are no holes.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another way is through the waste water drainage troughs next to the house. If there's any shoddy construction that left small gaps in the concrete where the pipe meets the trough they could get into the walls that way, and then up to the inner roof. Houses settle with age and things open up that aren't supposed to open up.

One may never find it. I think I would pop some rat poison down in the troughs monthly for a few months. You don't need a company to do that, just buy some.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, there is an old saying: "like a rat up a drain pipe"!

There is no way that a house can be sealed completely where the roof overhangs the guttering. That is, assuming that there is guttering!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A couple of years ago we noticed a leak at the bottom of one of the buttresses that enclosed a down pipe from an upstairs bathroom. It involved breaking into the buttress to identify the leak. There was evidence of rat droppings and gnawing on the pipe causing the leak. No sign of a rat. After fixing the leak, I put a couple of handfuls of rat poison in the space around the pipe before resealing the buttress.

The only way for a rat to get there would be down the pipe. How? No idea!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There wasn't guttering when we moved in, but there is now :D. Of course, yes that has to be where they are getting in. Probably up the foliage on the building plot outer wall and across to the guttering until they find the way in. I guess we may have a few more sleepless nights ahead, but at least I'll know what it is when it happens.

Points 48; Position 20
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Look for a gap between the last two roof tiles where they meet under the capping tile at the end of any hip. It normally requires a mitred joint between the two tiles to prevent a gap. Poor workmanship will result in a gap giving direct access to the roof space.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll get our Mr Fixit on the case.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The saga continues....................

I went to bed last night, and asked Mrs BB if she’d farted. She said no, but she’d just taken a poo (this can be a problem with en-suites :shock:). Well, I’m gasping for breath, trying to think what she had eaten. It was really strong (something I'd be well proud of if I'd produced it :D) as I drifted to sleep.

Obviously we both got used to it while we were sleeping. I didn't notice anything when I woke up - maybe helped by the heavy duty air purifier on all night.

I’ve walked through our bedroom to the toilet for a pee a couple of times today still thinking what Earth did she eat? Mrs BB mopped the house, including the bedroom and the smell improved, but it was like rose scented shit (sorry, no better description).

About an hour ago, Mrs BB said she wanted to lay down for an hour – she came right out again, saying it smelt as if something had died. We just looked at each other, and basically both asked at the same time – is there another rat?

Mrs BB called the exterminator immediately, and knowing he'd cleared the loft yesterday, he thoroughly checked the bedroom (looking for bodies under the bed :shock:, etc). He found nothing.

So, it was back into the roof space. Sure enough, they had missed not 1, but 2 more rats. They have now been removed. We've now all doors and windows open, air purifier working overtime, air freshener sprayed by the tin load and fans blowing full. Hopefully the bedroom will be habitable by bedtime.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

You have the makings of a fine sitcom. At Home With the BB's.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To bring this story to a happy conclusion, every Wednesday we have a family Zoom meeting with many family members in the UK. Hearing my story last week, my 98 year old auntie, wrote and read this out at today's meeting.

Your news this month is ratty
Its ratty through and through
Rats with hobnail boots on
Stamping to the loo

Accusing poor Suphannee
Of breaking smelly wind
We open doors and windows
To let some fresh air in

Rats marching in the garden
Frightening poor Boo
Rats in every corner
I know what we’ll do

We’ll send them off to Russia
Let Putin have a few
In our imagination, that will keep him busy
Neal’s rats will be a blessing
For a peaceful free Ukraine

I thought it was excellent from a 98 year old.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Brilliant, your auntie is very witty 😊😉