Short Changed in 7 Eleven - My opinion

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Short Changed in 7 Eleven - My opinion

Post by thecolonel »

So yet again(see below) in 7 Eleven i was short changed last night

I spotted it as she was counting out my approx 740 baht change from a 1000 note

obviously the computer display tells her how much money she should give me back plus receipt

Fortunately, i was watching her count out and it looked wrong

(sometimes they count twice to be fair)

so i never moved, counted it in front of her, it was 100 short. And then comes the faux(yes, my opinion) "oh sorry" shock face....

im convinced the youngsters are pressured into doing this by the more senior staff. I spotted another staff member say something to her as she was getting my change, and for some reason i just got naturally suspicious!

and yes i think they target farangs

it happens 3 or 4 times a year to me. i go to a 7 11 once but max twice a week. And ive spoken to others who have had it happen to them more than 2 or 3 times

Of course some mistakes are genuine human error, big volumes of transactions etc, but erm sorry(not sorry)im just not buying it that they are ALL genuine mistakes

Always check your change, especially in(but not exclusively) 7 Eleven!

Yours,

Admittedly Cynical(doesnt mean im wrong per se!)

ps ive yet to be given too much change, just saying....
Big Boy

Re: Short Changed-My opinion

Post by Big Boy »

I've actually had the opposite happen to me a few times this year. The till rings up e.g. 56฿ and displays change 44฿. They keep giving me back the higher sum. I used to tell them, but it's happened so many times now, I've given up. It's only a few ฿, which is neither here nor there to me. I do wonder if their screen display leaves a lot to be desired/is confusing.

I've also asked my daughter-in-law to buy me something while she's gone to 7-11, and she's brought me too much back in change. I tell her she's given me too much, but she smiles and says, "Discount."

This isn't just happening in 7-11's close to home, but it happens around the country.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm in 7/11 every day and spend around 500 baht, sometimes more. In all my years I've only once picked up on being short changed which I do believe was an accident. (most of the servers are still at school/uni to be fair). Twice in the last month I've been undercharged. In both cases an item was scanned just once when it should have been keyed as a multiple. I usually have a good idea of the check out before they calculate. Obvious differences stand out.
In general, mistakes at the check-out are just that - mistakes.

P.S. I did point out the 'under charge'. I'm not so desperate as to benefit from a hundred or so!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:16 pm I've also asked my daughter-in-law to buy me something while she's gone to 7-11, and she's brought me too much back in change. I tell her she's given me too much, but she smiles and says, "Discount."
There is sometimes obscure discounts but is always shown on the till receipt. 'Buy one get the second at a lower price', 'Buy one get one free' etc. These are not always shown on the shelf display.

It's often pointed out at the check-out. "You can get another one of these for free!" Usually she'll send someone to get it if they're quiet.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I know they have obscure discounts, but the till displays purchase price and change. I am regularly given the purchase price amount, not the change amount displayed. My purchases rarely exceed 100฿, and I usually tender a 100฿ note.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, didn't take in your post correctly. What you point out is either lack of training, concentration or indeed confusing screen. Either way I stand by what I said. I don't subscribe to stories of intentionally short changing. Not in the main although I'm sure there are isolated cases.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Never happened to me, why always happening to the same ???? 555
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My Thai wife always counts her change. She says, "Never trust anyone." Of course she'd never say, "Don't trust Thais," but that's all there are here.