PayPal Thailand closing for individuals/foreigners

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: PayPal Thailand closing for individuals

Post by buksida »

Got the same notice. PayPal has burnt its bridge with me, I've made alternative arrangements and won't be going back to them again, simply don't trust them anymore since they can hold your account and funds to ransom.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PayPal wins reprieve from local regulators

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... regulators

PayPal has won a reprieve from local regulators and says it will be business as usual for existing customers of its consumer and business services until the end of the year.

By then, the international payments company hopes to be in full compliance with local regulations as it completes the transfer of its business to PayPal Thailand.

Earlier, the company had said it would have to suspend PayPal account services for consumers on March 7, while the accounts of freelancers, small-scale entrepreneurs and casual online sellers would have “limited functionality”.

“With the support of the Thai authorities, we have been able to keep existing PayPal accounts open for consumers and freelancers/casual sellers, and cancel the account limitations which were scheduled to take effect on March 7, 2022,” the company said in an email to customers this week.

“This extended functionality will remain in effect while we continue to work on updating our products and processes.”

The limitations announced earlier had been a major concern for thousands of small-scale online sellers who have customers outside Thailand. It was believed that they would have to re-register as juristic persons in order to use PayPal’s international money transfer service.

This is no longer the case, the company said, and they can continue to use their existing accounts with full functionality while it works out compliance details with the Bank of Thailand.

However, the company said it would be unable to accept new accounts until further notice.

The company said it would soon post an updated FAQ page on its website to explain procedures for all types of account holders.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

You can, you can't, you can, you can't ... looks like PayPal will be back off the table again soon for farangs anyway ...

Got this email from them today:
We would like to provide an update on the ongoing relaunch of PayPal’s services in Thailand, including some action you will need to take in advance.

As we shared in early March, we will be seeking to transfer your account to PayPal Thailand later this year (if it is eligible) as part of the relaunch.

For us to transfer your account to PayPal Thailand, you must be enrolled in the National Digital ID (NDID) platform. As Thailand’s digital identity verification service, NDID will allow us to authenticate your identity in a standardized, reliable, fast and safe manner.

To enroll in NDID, you’ll need to take a few simple steps either using your Thai bank’s mobile app, or by visiting your bank branch. You can find instructions on our website (please refer to Q2 of the ‘Consumers/Non-registered businesses’ tab). Please note that a Thai national ID is currently required to enroll in NDID.

From August 2022 onwards: We will be seeking your consent to transfer your account to PayPal Thailand, as well as collecting some information to enable us to verify your identity.
From October 2022 onwards: The transfer of accounts (which have opted in and been successfully verified) to PayPal Thailand will take place.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

OK, I won't use PayPal. Credit card, bank transfer, bank acct. app., all work.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you have a U.S. registered PayPal account you wont have a problem - its only Thailand making these restrictions and preventing foreigners from using it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 am If you have a U.S. registered PayPal account you wont have a problem - its only Thailand making these restrictions and preventing foreigners from using it.
I’m fairly certain that I didn’t register my PayPal account in Thailand - I’m sure it must have been in the UK because that’s the only place where I have a Debit and Credit card account that can be used with PayPal, I’ve never used my Thai bank with PayPal, but they’ve written to me using the same wording as mentioned below, anyway I’m not particularly bothered so will do without it.
buksida

Re: PayPal Thailand closing for individuals/foreigners

Post by buksida »

PayPal deadline approaching, foreigners will be cut off from Dec. 15 according to the email I received today.

Unless you comply with their new rules (register for Thai national digital ID which only Thai ID card holders can do) they'll limit the account. (And I thought banks were bad!)
other forms of identification which do not have a 13-digit Thai national ID number, such as a non-Thai passport, work permit, non-Thai Identification card (pink ID), or Thai Permanent Resident Permit cannot be accepted
https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/t ... le.x=en_TH

I managed to regain access to my UK PayPal account whilst there so will use that as a backup if I need to use this poxy company again.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You have a 13 digit Thai ID number either from your Covid Vaccine certificate, or your Yellow book, or both. You could try that.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is one on the pink ID card also, but this seems to be a move by Thai financial regulators to prevent farangs from using it since it said the pink card was not accepted and foreigners cannot have a NDID account. Its another form of financial surveillance so I wouldn't do it even if I could digitize my ID in Thailand and hand it over to the junta.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:39 am There is one on the pink ID card also, but this seems to be a move by Thai financial regulators to prevent farangs from using it since it said the pink card was not accepted and foreigners cannot have a NDID account. Its another form of financial surveillance so I wouldn't do it even if I could digitize my ID in Thailand and hand it over to the junta.
I have very rarely used PayPal in Thailand and I’m going to do my best to avoid the need in the future rather than try and jump through hoops.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I use my wife's credit card on PayPal and Citibank just changed the exp. date and CV #. I tried to get into PayPal to change it and it was another Kafkaesque experience. I gave up.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:There is one on the pink ID card also, but this seems to be a move by Thai financial regulators to prevent farangs from using it since it said the pink card was not accepted and foreigners cannot have a NDID account. Its another form of financial surveillance so I wouldn't do it even if I could digitize my ID in Thailand and hand it over to the junta.
Can't use the pink card. The banks and ATMs require a card with chip to verify id. It's not a manual process for the ndid verification.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:14 pm Can't use the pink card.
Yes, that has already been established and confirmed by PayPal as mentioned above.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

But it is Paypal's choice not to allow an alternative.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its more likely that PayPal is being told what to do by state regulators if they want to keep operating in Thailand. Why would a company that profits enormously from forex spreads and transaction fees prevent overseas customers from using it? It certainly does not discriminate against non-nationals in other countries.

Anyway, its all moot, I won't be using it again but the big fear now is that the same could happen to crypto exchanges and currency transfer companies which could become "Thai only". :guns: