Banks and Piggy Bank Cash

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Banks and Piggy Bank Cash

Post by Big Boy »

It's that time of the year when my Piggy Bank needs smashing, and replacing with a newbie. I put all of my loose change into a piggy bank.

The last time we did this, we spent about an hour counting and bagging the money. We took it to the bank to pay in. The bank duly de-bagged all of the coins, and put them through their counting machine, charging me a small % for their work. No problem with the %, it was dead money anyway. Just a tad upset we'd spent so much time counting and bagging it.

This year I said we'd just take all of the coins, and pour them straight into the counting machine.

Arrived at the bank, handed over the bag of coins, and the clerk immediately called for assistance. I thought I must have looked like a bank robber. Kasikorn Bank no longer accepts coins because of Covid. I was public enemy number 1. Paying money into a bank, what a ludicrous idea. FFS, my coins have been sat in my pig for many months - any Covid bug would be long dead. If they don't accept coins, where do banks get their coins? What is the difference between a bag of coins and a bag of paper money?

A bank that doesn't accept money - I've heard it all now. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Mrs BB is now counting/bagging all of this 'dirty' money. I think we'll be shopping with coins for the next month or so. :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Piggy Bank Cash

Post by buksida »

Banks are increasingly looking down upon their customers as a burden - they've had it too good for too long and have forgotten that their job is to take care of their customers who are allowing them to make profits from other people's money. Coins are legal tender so under the law the bank cannot refuse them (unless the ever-changing covid laws have overridden it).

You get the picture - I hate banks!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they pointed towards several notices, in Thai, around the branch, which Mrs BB confirmed as saying they don't accept coins because of Covid. If a coin can carry Covid, why can't bank notes?

Maybe they need to look inside somebody's Piggy Bank to find the origins of Covid :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Covid is increasingly becoming a popular excuse for shitty service and not bothering to do jobs properly or think rationally.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm fcuked then. Was going to cash my piggy bank in to replace the crazy amounts of money I've had to pay Thailand for the forthcoming trip.

On the subject of legal tender, but in the UK, it used to be that a shop had to accept coinage up to a certain value. It happened to me once and the shop accepted it but only after I pointed out the law.

Dunno what the situation is here but I'd be inclined to walk into 7-11s etc, buy something for 76 Baht and hand it over in coins. Fcuk sake, they're the ones pricing stuff at just below "real" numbers, so they can get stuff back.

And one time I'll never forget, I was a bit pissed and bought some beers and ciggies from the local Lotus. They gave me 6-700 THB in 20 notes. I refused them, asked for my 1,000 back, told them to restock their shelves and walked out.

They've been good to me since.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ It's been my experience that 7-11 has no problem taking loads of coins.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We will be ordering a few Christmasy bits and bobs from Ham & Bacon. They are always looking for change around Christmas time, so we think it's sorted.

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Interesting, I volunteer/ work for a company in the UK. They use a lot of small change and have to get it from the bank.
The bank charge for this service (I do not know how much). When the covid started the company would only accept card payments. Since the lockdown ended, they are accepting cash but a few places are still saying card only. It is so much easier than handling cash.
My point is the shops may want the small change to save them going to the bank for it, could be worth asking when you go shopping. Myself I use very little cash now and have got used to not having cash in my pocket.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Covid is increasingly becoming a popular excuse for shitty service and not bothering to do jobs properly or think rationally.
Abso-bleeding-lutely!

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Banks charge for everything. My wife withdrew some money from her acct. at the Government bank and they charged her a withdrawal fee.

In the US I only banked at Savings and Loans. I despise banks.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't objecting to a small charge. In fact I was expecting it. It would have been worth it to save an hour of me having to count and bag the money. My problem was the bank would not accept my 'dirty' money. If banks no longer want money, what is their purpose?

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Banks are anal - they make billions in profit from your money using fractional reserves which means if everyone withdrew on the same day, they'd go bust as the money isn't there because the bank has loaned it out. They charge for "services", restrict what you can do with your own money, and offer no interest in return so, in today's day and age, banks are pretty much defunct.

This is why decentralized cryptocurrencies have become so popular recently (especially amongst millennials and those skeptical of the financial system), it's now a 3 trillion dollar industry.

Down with the bankers! :guns:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:33 am I wasn't objecting to a small charge. In fact I was expecting it. It would have been worth it to save an hour of me having to count and bag the money. My problem was the bank would not accept my 'dirty' money. If banks no longer want money, what is their purpose?
I agree that the Bank should be the “place of last resort” where you can take your money if nobody else will. Whilst in the UK, my brother in law did exactly as you tried BB taking money from a piggy bank, bagged it up and took it to his bank with no problem. Slightly aside, while shopping somebody had given me an “old” £1 coin and unbeknown I tried to use it in a shop and the cashier (correctly) refused to take it but said that I could exchange it at a bank. Not that it was that much money, but I thought I’d give it a try and sure enough they exchanged it for a shiny new one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Old £1 coin? I still remember £1 notes :shock: . How does the old £1 differ to the new £1 coin?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Banks and Piggy Bank Cash

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Old £1 coin? I still remember £1 notes :shock: . How does the old £1 differ to the new £1 coin?
The new one is bi-metal “gold and silver” but the shape of the old thruppeny-piece just nearly twice the size - apparently more difficult to counterfeit than plain circular!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk