USA smartphone prices vs Thailand?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

USA smartphone prices vs Thailand?

Post by Hahuahin »

A far out relative coming here in November (well if covid-19 permit so) and he travel economy ++ so are allowed some extra luggage and ask me if I need something from USA! With a weaker Thb and actually having and can get most things here the only thing I can think about is a new phone (actually ok with what I have but my wife describes it as pre historic) :oops: so I allow me to ask here if someone know if a smartphone is cheaper or more expensive in USA compared to Thailand and can a smartphone bought in USA be used in Thailand at all?
Thank you :)
hahuahin
PeteC

Re: USA smartphone prices vs Thailand?

Post by PeteC »

My experience is that they are less expensive, sometimes considerably, as are laptops and most electronic equipment.

They work anywhere in the world, just put in your SIM card. Be careful though that your relative doesn't buy one that is locked into a specific USA phone service. Make certain he buys "unlocked". :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Need to be aware of the frequency bands the phone will work with. And whether you want 2 active Sims or not.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Okay thank you, wifey win then :oops:
hahuahin
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Also for an expensive phone you might think about warranty.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Not a great bargain but can probably be better deals found.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/apple ... 10498.html?
Thb 25900,- USD 770,-

Thb 23985,- USD 729,-
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

I believe the unlocked phones are considerable more expensive than when purchased while signing up with a server, as they want to lock you in as a customer. Your monthly service fee pays for that 'discount' and they know you'll probably stick with them after 1st year. If not, they've lost nothing.

Also many of the better spec'd / value priced phones aren't offered in USA, I think.

Just price compare USA products for things that are cheaper, and many are in the USA, even things made in Thailand are sold cheaper there. My Sony camera gear a fine example. Along with Remington razors, which I had sent over from USA, but only private (slow boat) shipping to defer cost.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

A couple years ago my wife wanted the latest I-phone. She didn't go to the US that year. When I went to buy it they told me it would be locked. I passed that on to my wife and she said no problem, there are lots of people over here that can unlock it. Guess what, no one could do it out of the 15-20 people we took it to. She had to wait a year to use it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.