Tennis US Open (2021)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The US Open (tennis)

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:13 am She only went and bloody done it, didn't she!!!

History maker.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Superb - really enjoyed that :thumb: Lots to come methinks from this girl - cracking play. Not dropped a set throughout.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Sports personality of the year - shortlist of one. Well done, kiddo, brilliant throughout. And well done to Fernandez too, who battled throughout, then got a bit upset at the delay, but gave Emma a genuine hug at the end.

It seems I might have to start watching women's tennis after all, at least when Emma is playing...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I thought she would have more problems with Fernandez being a lefty than she did. Congratulations to her. :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

:D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:49 am Sports personality of the year - shortlist of one. Well done, kiddo, brilliant throughout. And well done to Fernandez too, who battled throughout, then got a bit upset at the delay, but gave Emma a genuine hug at the end.

It seems I might have to start watching women's tennis after all, at least when Emma is playing...
Sure, Emma's box needs filling. Leylah's box looked full. Fnaaarf Fnaaarf :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The best womens tennis I have ever seen. Both girls were excellent players, they both also did brilliant interviews at the end. Emma Raducanu will hopefully be a force to watch in the future.
First open winner from the qualifiers and never lost a set in 10 games, composure and self control amazing.
They both were a brilliant example to teenagers across the world. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I`m not a massive tennis fan but this was compulsive stuff. The women`s game is easier to follow rather than the wham bam shots in the men`s game.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Love it! :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Sadly I'm seeing a lot of bigoted comments on Linkedin about Emma's parentage and British citizenship. I wonder if there are any such similar behaviour in Canada as Leylah has a South American father and Canadien mother of Filipino descent or is it just good old fashioned British racism at play?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

sateeb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm Sadly I'm seeing a lot of bigoted comments on Linkedin about Emma's parentage and British citizenship.
On LinkedIn? Are you sure?

Twitter or Facebook I could understand but I've not seen LinkedIn be a forum for those kinds of comments. It's usually more business-oriented than anything, at least in my experience of it.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:17 pm
sateeb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm Sadly I'm seeing a lot of bigoted comments on Linkedin about Emma's parentage and British citizenship.
On LinkedIn? Are you sure?

Twitter or Facebook I could understand but I've not seen LinkedIn be a forum for those kinds of comments. It's usually more business-oriented than anything, at least in my experience of it.
I guess it depends on who you are Linkedin with. Through an ex colleague(thankfully) I see loads of crap about Covid and the vaccines. It seems to be another breeding ground of mis information and hate. On the vaccine thread I posted a snapshot of a graph that must have been crayoned by a 4 year old.

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm....... or is it just good old fashioned British racism at play?
Do not class all British as racist - I'm far from it, and I'm a devoted Brit! Unfortunately, there are racists, jealous twunts and Muppets throughout the world,

British, Chinese or Romanian, the girl has done amazingly well - as a Welshman, can't help but support her!! :neener: :butt:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ I'm not, but recent events are worrisome(Euro's penalty takers etc). The question I posed was if Leylah's parentage and citizenship were being targeted by social media bullies. :cheers:

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 pm /\ I'm not, but recent events are worrisome(Euro's penalty takers etc).
Yes you are. And with regards to the ENGLISH WENDYBALL FANS - Let's leave (the minority of) those low IQ Muppets out of it....

[EDIT] Just to clarify, not calling all football fans low IQ there - just the fcuk knuckles who are violent and racist!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source