Home Generators

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Home Generators

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 pm
handdrummer wrote:Rained heavy in Snoreprong, electricity out for 4 1/2 hrs. Same thing happened when someone sneezed.
Power in our part of the Phrong went out too. Only for about 5 seconds though. But the freezer part of the fridge (inverter type) stopped freezing. Fortunately I noticed after about an hour and powered it off for a minute then back on. OK after that.
Any recommendations for a generator that will power the whole house? Minimum appliances: refrigerator, 1 air conditioner, TV, computer, lights; maximum 300 watts at one time, water pump.
buksida

Re: Home Generators

Post by buksida »

Also interested in responses here. Our power has gone out for more than 40% of the days over the past month.

Currently have a rudimentary solar setup, but wouldn't mind supplementing it with a quiet generator for night usage.
handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 pm Maximum 300 watts at one time,
I think you'll find the a/c unit and water pump will use a lot more than 300w - especially on startup!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 pm
hhinner wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 pm
handdrummer wrote:Rained heavy in Snoreprong, electricity out for 4 1/2 hrs. Same thing happened when someone sneezed.
Power in our part of the Phrong went out too. Only for about 5 seconds though. But the freezer part of the fridge (inverter type) stopped freezing. Fortunately I noticed after about an hour and powered it off for a minute then back on. OK after that.
Any recommendations for a generator that will power the whole house? Minimum appliances: refrigerator, 1 air conditioner, TV, computer, lights; maximum 300 watts at one time, water pump.
Is that figure correct - 300 watts seems very low?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 pm Also interested in responses here. Our power has gone out for more than 40% of the days over the past month.

Currently have a rudimentary solar setup, but wouldn't mind supplementing it with a quiet generator for night usage.
handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 pm Maximum 300 watts at one time,
I think you'll find the a/c unit and water pump will use a lot more than 300w - especially on startup!
I was referring only to the lights on at one time. Sorry for the confusion.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm in the market for a new lawnmower and came upon this brand that also sells generators. My daughter in the US has a Honda generator and swears by it as Honda seems to be the go to choice in many countries. They must have them here as well, but I don't know who distributes them. Anyway, below is info on Husqvarna units.

https://www.husqvarnathailand.com/en/ca ... /generator
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Obviously I haven't been in Thailand for a while but the last time I was there, Global in Pranburi had a range of generators including some pretty large completely enclosed ones that looked like they would power a house.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

When I lived in the far north east of America the weather would get very rough and we lost electric often. I didn't but some people had their generators rigged up so that if electricity went off the generator would kick in.

Not sure if it was a factor of the generator or of the switch.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I looked up Honda generators and Thailand and nothing appeared.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Global House
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Husqvarna mentioned above is a Swedish company with some relationship with Austria as well. I would think their quality would be quite good.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:I looked up Honda generators and Thailand and nothing appeared.
https://powerproducts.honda.th.com/dcs- ... cale=en_US
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

When living in China, we had regular issues with the power - the government would regularly cut power for several hours. This mainly in summer obviously where demand was at it's highest (A/C etc.)...

There were many petrol/diesel units readily available - ranging in sizes, but have to say were noisy. I think you'd have to look at some type of noise dampening/ soundproofing - on that score, this is worth a look https://www.acoustiblok.co.uk/soundproof-generator/

Some links to Chinese makers which may be useful - https://www.made-in-china.com/products- ... rator.html (Obviously min orders through this site, but will give you an idea of makers possibly available in Thailand).

:cheers: :cheers:

[EDIT] With regards to powering the fridge/freezer etc. for a few hours, I think you need to look at the power. Lights and Laptop no problem for a smaller unit I would have thought.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Handdrummer said:

"I was referring only to the lights on at one time. Sorry for the confusion."

Hence the semicolon after 'lights'. Confusion only by the reader!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:03 am Handdrummer said:

"I was referring only to the lights on at one time. Sorry for the confusion."

Hence the semicolon after 'lights'. Confusion only by the reader!!
Simply adding my comment further to comments by others who perhaps were looking for further info.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A basic solar kit will suffice if all he wants to do is power the lights and a couple of fans. I built one sourcing parts online for about 5,000 baht that does the job as a backup during the outages (which are every other day at the moment).

If you want more juice its going to cost more naturally, bigger panels, more batteries etc. The Hua Hin solar companies will charge the earth which is a deterrent to most, but it can be done on a budget and built up in modular fasion.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson