YouTube Vanced

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: YouTube Vanced

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Depends on the flavour of OS, this should work though: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enab ... id-phones/

You may need the APKMirror app (perfectly safe) if your phone doesn't want to install apkm files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... elper.prod
The first link didn't work

The other app I installed

It then prompted me about installing other apps, allowed

But then failed

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

"System issues" - that seems to be the source of your problems and as such I'm not sure I can advise any further without knowing what issues the system has.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Might be worth starting again, with help from the developers, from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app- ... n.3758757/

Go down to installation instructions and note the special link for installing in MIUI.

If you feel up to it. Image
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:Might be worth starting again, with help from the developers, from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app- ... n.3758757/

Go down to installation instructions and note the special link for installing in MIUI.

If you feel up to it. Image
Thanks for the info, appreciated but I read that link and I got information overload!!

I'd really like to give my phone to someone 'skilled' and pay him to put Vanced on here and not fcuk up my phone!

Any ideas? Maybe Golf, the computer guy in HH shopping mall 2nd floor?

Also I want to ask, does Vanced operate your whole YouTube account or just your phone version of YouTube ?

In other words if I watch my YouTube account on my smart tv will that be ad free too because of Vanced?

TIA

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Which bit do you feel uncomfortable with? There are really only 2 major steps if you're going to use vanced manager and your phone isn't rooted
1. Turn off MIUI optimization
.........a: Turn on developer mode
.........b: Turn MIUI optimization off

2. Install Vanced
.........a: Download Vanced manager from the given link
.........b: Open Vanced manager
.........c: Install microG
.........d: Install YouTube Vanced

3. Optionally turn MIUI optimization back on.

I for one would certainly never hand my phone over to someone else to do who knows what with it.

Link for instructions, including other methods:

https://telegra.ph/How-to-install-v15-on-MIUI-02-11

Unless YouTube Vanced is evil-ware there's nothing that can screw up your phone. Step 1 above is normal Android settings activity. Step 2 is YTV and that's what you want to install.

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:Which bit do you feel uncomfortable with? There are really only 2 major steps if you're going to use vanced manager and your phone isn't rooted
1. Turn off MIUI optimization
.........a: Turn on developer mode
.........b: Turn MIUI optimization off

2. Install Vanced
.........a: Download Vanced manager from the given link
.........b: Open Vanced manager
.........c: Install microG
.........d: Install YouTube Vanced

3. Optionally turn MIUI optimization back on.

I for one would certainly never hand my phone over to someone else to do who knows what with it.

Link for instructions, including other methods:

https://telegra.ph/How-to-install-v15-on-MIUI-02-11

Unless YouTube Vanced is evil-ware there's nothing that can screw up your phone. Step 1 above is normal Android settings activity. Step 2 is YTV and that's what you want to install.
Ok, when my hangover has gone I'll give it a go! Image

Thanks

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ps how does it work re my YouTube account in Google has all settings/subscriptions /likes/history etc etc

With Vanced do you have to start all over again? And how do you sign in etc

Thanks

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I don't think it would/could change any account settings except any that you initiate.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:I don't think it would/could change any account settings except any that you initiate.
Forgive me, I truly do appreciate your help but I find this answer really vague

To be clear I now have 2 YT apps on my phone. One is my YouTube (Google) account and they clearly know who i am due sign in,likes, history, subscriptions etc etc

The second is my YT Vanced and excuse my ignorance but it doesn't know me from Adam!

Hence my Q. do I have to start from scratch with subs history etc? Do I sign in and as who? Are google OK with their customers using Vanced?

I appreciate I could listen to music on Vanced now ad free and look at other apps without pausing but when I open YouTube Vanced it's obviously nothing like looking at my account, and nowhere near as convenient

Excuse my ignorance but I'm nowhere near your league on these things

Also separately, since I've done this a few weird things happened to my phone

1. Many app permissions were lost (hopefully no big deal)

2. A few app icons have gone from circles to squares..... Odd!

3. All my what'sapp contacts are now just phone numbers not names as before, bit of a pain...

Probably other things I've not found yet

Do I need to switch anything back (miui optimisations etc) or leave as is?

Thanks and sorry to be thick

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So you installed YTV and microG then. You can turn MIUI optimization back on and see what happens.

Check this out:

https://youtu.be/EGg16P3IOCk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Just tried turning off MIUI optimization and the same thing happened to my WhatsApp contacts. This is caused by the app permissions being cleared. After I allowed all the permissions and force closed and restarted WhatsApp out was back to normal. I don't have any round icons so didn't notice anything there. Expect other apps have permissions turned off as well, but no biggy, usually they will complain.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@thecolonel Are you OK now?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:@thecolonel Are you OK now?
Yes I think so

Fixed WhatsApp first as you described

By then 80% of my icons had gone square so then turned back on optimisations and then went to circles again(Any idea what the squares indicate?)

I logged into YouTube Vanced via Google bit it's early days in terms of whether I have all the bits and pieces, I expect and hope it will be as per YT account

I'm not quite sure what microG does/did....

Thanks for all the help

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:
hhinner wrote:@thecolonel Are you OK now?
Yes I think so

Fixed WhatsApp first as you described

By then 80% of my icons had gone square so then turned back on optimisations and then went to circles again(Any idea what the squares indicate?)

I logged into YouTube Vanced via Google bit it's early days in terms of whether I have all the bits and pieces, I expect and hope it will be as per YT account

I'm not quite sure what microG does/did....

Thanks for all the help

Ps when I say signed in via Google I meant using microG(that takes you to Google sign in as I recall)

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Great.

MicroG is an open source replacement for Google services which vanced uses rather than the real Google services. People who are paranoid about tracking prefer it in custom roms as tracking and some other features of Google services are bypassed.

Apps are usually developed with both circular and round-corner square icons. It depends on the os, user interface and theme which icons get used. It might even be configurable in settings somewhere.

Anyway enjoy YTM.