YouTube Vanced

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

YouTube Vanced

Post by buksida »

I'm probably not the only one to notice that YouTube has become pretty intolerable to use lately with all the incessant and non-stop advertising. Listen to a song? cheesy ads ... Watch a doco? ads and more ads ... watch the news? bombarded by Shopee ads first ... and forget about movies. On a mobile, it shuts off if you switch the screen and try to do something else at the same time. The (cr)app has just become a pain to use.

Fortunately, there is a solution called Vanced, which appears to be a skinny version of YouTube without all the ads and bullshit. Now there are lots of versions of "vanced" on Google's Play Store, but being Google, it doesn't want people using its software without it making money out of them so none of them really work properly.

You need to go back a couple of years and download the APK file. I've found the 2019 14.10.53 version works well but I haven't tried any of the newer versions yet, you can download it here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/team-vanc ... 3-release/

You will need to enable "install apps from third-party sources" to install it else Android will flap. Enjoy pure streaming and never be forced to listen to an annoying ad on YT again! And there's more, you can switch to other apps/tasks on the phone and it'll keep playing!

#####

On a related note, I've been getting back into my music during lockdown, restringing the axes, learning some blues, and expanding the MP3 collection. I'm not one for subscribing to streaming services as I'm not permanently online so like to store a lot of music on the phone. As a result of Spotify and the like, MP3 is getting harder to find, especially obscure stuff. Now YouTube has pretty much everything so this handy little website will convert any YT music video into MP3 which you can download and keep forever: https://mp3-convert.org/v6/

Rock on: :party:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
electricwarrior

Re: YouTube Vanced

Post by electricwarrior »

buksida wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:35 am On a related note, I've been getting back into my music during lockdown, restringing the axes, learning some blues, and expanding the MP3 collection. I'm not one for subscribing to streaming services as I'm not permanently online so like to store a lot of music on the phone. As a result of Spotify and the like, MP3 is getting harder to find, especially obscure stuff. Now YouTube has pretty much everything so this handy little website will convert any YT music video into MP3 which you can download and keep forever: https://mp3-convert.org/v6/

https://www.mp3juices.cc/en6/

A lot easier :cheers:
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Worked great, Thanks!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Can you download a free adblock on a phone? I use one on my computer and never see ads on youtube.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If anyone downloads and tries any of the newer versions of Vanced (the latest is 16.29.39 released on Aug.9), please share your findings here. I occasionally find that when apps are "updated" they're often worse than they were before.

electricwarrior wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:37 pm https://www.mp3juices.cc/en6/

Works well, thanks. The only issue with these sites that rip from YT is the low bitrate (128-192 kbps) which is noticeable when you have a decent speaker. While we're on the subject, does anyone know any good sites to browse and download MP3 or FLAC (something like Napster or Audiogalaxy)? The usual torrent places are pretty skinny of late with virtually no seeders on anything remotely obscure or more than ten years old.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just to update this, I've been using the latest version of Vanced (16.29.39) for a week or so with no issues. :thumb:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Quick thank you to Buksi for mentioning this. Bloomin' fantastic not having ads and being able to close the phone while listening to youtube when out and about. Cheers pal.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:58 am The only issue with these sites that rip from YT is the low bitrate (128-192 kbps) which is noticeable when you have a decent speaker.
Found this similar site which downloads in 320kbps - https://mp3-juice.com/
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Just to update this, I've been using the latest version of Vanced (16.29.39) for a week or so with no issues. :thumb:
I got 2 warning messages it was a trojan so went back and deleted it

I followed your link to get it and selected the above mentioned version

Is there a way to avoid these malware attacks and install safely?

Thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

Its not a trojan - are you sure you're downloading the right apk? Maybe your antivirus software is a bit hyperactive? I get no such warnings from Malwarebytes and know a few others that use Vanced.

Google will probably complain that it is not "trusted" because its not from the Play Store so you have to enable apps from third-party sources.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/team-vanc ... 9-release/
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Its not a trojan - are you sure you're downloading the right apk? Maybe your antivirus software is a bit hyperactive? I get no such warnings from Malwarebytes and know a few others that use Vanced.

Google will probably complain that it is not "trusted" because its not from the Play Store so you have to enable apps from third-party sources.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/team-vanc ... 9-release/
I did enable from other sources....

Yesterday after I posted i got the vanced version from the play store

But of course 1. It's slow 2. Picture is crap and 3. It's not your normal account so you have to start from scratch.

I'll give your link another go

buksida

Post by buksida »

Don't use the Play Store ones, they're loaded with ads and crap and don't work.

Use the link I posted above to download the apk directly, its clean and works well.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Don't use the Play Store ones, they're loaded with ads and crap and don't work.

Use the link I posted above to download the apk directly, its clean and works well.
I binned the play store one after 10 mins yest

Downloaded your apk twice.... won't open!

Where is the setting to allow third party apps?

Thanks

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:
buksida wrote:Don't use the Play Store ones, they're loaded with ads and crap and don't work.

I binned the play store one after 10 mins yest

Downloaded your apk twice.... won't open!

Where is the setting to allow third party apps?

Thanks

See screenshotsImageImage

buksida

Post by buksida »

Depends on the flavour of OS, this should work though: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enab ... id-phones/

You may need the APKMirror app (perfectly safe) if your phone doesn't want to install apkm files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... elper.prod