Contemplating move to Thailand 2021-22

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Contemplating move to Thailand 2021-22

Post by dtaai-maai »

Image Various posts moved from the thread "Covid questions for the forum", that don't pertain to the Covid issue.
To see the opening post and Covid related replies go to viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39281&p=539246#p539246

CWinUK wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am So here is my point- the political situation in the UK is now desperate- really scary.
Hi, CWinUK, and welcome to the forum. I left Thailand 4 years ago, so I can't help you with the main part of your question, but I'm curious as to how scary the political situation in the UK would have to be to make you want to bring up your kids in a (pretty unstable) dictatorship. Is this just about Covid? Can you afford private education in Thailand?

Don't feel obliged to answer, I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but an annual family holiday is a long way removed from a permanent move with all that that entails.
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 am
CWinUK wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am So here is my point- the political situation in the UK is now desperate- really scary.
Hi, CWinUK, and welcome to the forum. I left Thailand 4 years ago, so I can't help you with the main part of your question, but I'm curious as to how scary the political situation in the UK would have to be to make you want to bring up your kids in a (pretty unstable) dictatorship. Is this just about Covid? Can you afford private education in Thailand?

Don't feel obliged to answer, I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but an annual family holiday is a long way removed from a permanent move with all that that entails.
While you're waiting, read and learn as much about the Thailand, past and present and you can. There are many videos on you tube, pro and con, about living here; these include locations, cost of living, life styles, etc.

I would recommend learning as much of the language as possible. It takes years to become fluent in Thai and the sooner you begin, the better.

Politically, no one knows what will happen day to day. If you know anything about the history of Thailand, you know that there have about 30 coups since the 1930's and things can change quickly.

Thailand may look like paradise from afar but up close it can be a challenge to live here.

Most of the ex-pats who live here are married to Thai women, who help them navigate the regulatory & communication landscape, both of which can be treacherous.

I don't mean to scare you off, just give you some things to think about in order to be prepared.
buksida

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by buksida »

CWinUK wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am the political situation in the UK is now desperate- really scary.
That is exactly how I would describe the political situation in Thailand. :shock:

Some good advice above, don't rush into anything. Feel free to ask away on the forums, plenty of good info here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Covid questions for the forum

Post by caller »

If you think the political situation in the UK is scary, when in reality it is just about the most stable of democracies anywhere in the World, with a first class public service, a World renowned and obedient armed forces and Police (although that last one needs a bit of attention), then if I was you, I wouldn't travel anywhere, yet alone to one of the most unstable and corrupt political and judicial systems in the World, where a few families rule the roost and with an armed forces that worry more about their businesses and maintaining control of the people, rather than anything else and who have brought this Country to its knees.
Talk is cheap
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^^ And here is an Amen to what Caller had to say. Spot on . . .

I might also add I would not dream of bringing children into Thailand where they cannot speak the language and the education is mostly crap. It's almost cruelty to do so IMO.

Thailand is a place to retire to once the rest of your worldly business has been taken care of.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I would agree that the level of education in Thailand is a good reason not to subject your children to. However, the language is not a barrier. Children in general pick up a new language incredibly quickly. My Thai daughter came with us to the UK when she was 6 years old. Straight into school where of course nobody spoke Thai and she knew zero English. A month later, she was bringing friends home and communicating quite well. After 3 months she spoke English pretty much as well as others in her class.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:28 pm I would agree that the level of education in Thailand is a good reason not to subject your children to. However, the language is not a barrier. Children in general pick up a new language incredibly quickly. My Thai daughter came with us to the UK when she was 6 years old. Straight into school where of course nobody spoke Thai and she knew zero English. A month later, she was bringing friends home and communicating quite well. After 3 months she spoke English pretty much as well as others in her class.
If you spoke English at home, she would have been familiar with the sounds and as a comparison, English is far easier to hear than Thai. Not many subtleties of tone in English.

I had the same experience with 5 and 6 yr. old's, who only spoke English, learning Spanish, in school in Spain. Children do learn languages quickly and should be taught them immersively (is that a word?), at a young age.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 pm Not many subtleties of tone in English.
That's not strictly true. I can tell some to f*ck off in a number of different tones, all meaning something quite different.
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 pm Children do learn languages quickly and should be taught them immersively (is that a word?), at a young age.
Yes, it's a technique of language learning while in the bath. :thumb:
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 pm Not many subtleties of tone in English.
That's not strictly true. I can tell some to f*ck off in a number of different tones, all meaning something quite different.
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 pm Children do learn languages quickly and should be taught them immersively (is that a word?), at a young age.
Yes, it's a technique of language learning while in the bath. :thumb:
I tried saying f*uck off, using several different tones, and each time I got slapped. :?

Of all the things that I've learned while in the bath, a language wasn't one of them and now, in Thailand, I have only a shower so I can't experiment with a language. Although, I can still say f*uck off and it's a safe space to do so. :roll:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thai has just 5 tones. Whereas English has as many tones as the speaker can handle!!

(not meant to be a scientific answer before someone quotes linguistics to me)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:59 pm Thai has just 5 tones. Whereas English has as many tones as the speaker can handle!!

(not meant to be a scientific answer before someone quotes linguistics to me)
Do the tones, in English, convey completely different, unrelated meanings?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely. I've always prided myself in telling someone what I really think of them but with a 'smile' and a 'light hearted' tone. I've said what I've wanted to say without getting my head kicked in because whoever is on the receiving end thinks you're joking.

Yes, a different tone can certainly convey a different message (not really unrelated though) even if the words remain the same.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not quite sure how we got here as we're way off 'Covid questions' but here goes. Mods feel free to form another thread for the last several posts.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:12 pm Absolutely. I've always prided myself in telling someone what I really think of them but with a 'smile' and a 'light hearted' tone. I've said what I've wanted to say without getting my head kicked in because whoever is on the receiving end thinks you're joking.

Yes, a different tone can certainly convey a different message (not really unrelated though) even if the words remain the same.
Message, yes, unrelated meaning, no.
CWinUK
Novice
Novice

Post by CWinUK »

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my question.

There's some good advice in there and the main purpose of the post was to get a flavour for whether you guys thought it was a good idea or one to park for a while and see what unfolds.

So it looks like we are going to do the latter and see how things develop both here and in Thailand.

Having been 20+ times in the last 15 years, we aren't under any illusion that it's all fresh seafood and cold Chang. That's why I would come out on my own for a month or so and stay away from the 4* beach hotels, bars etc... to get a better feel because as dtaai-maai said, a permanent move is a different ball game to a family holiday! It's our kids we are mainly concerned for so comments about education and language etc.. are especially appreciated.

dtaai-maai, in answer to your question - many of us here in the UK are now concerned of the mission creep we are seeing from Johnson's government. Back in January it was "jab the elderly and vulnerable and it's back to normal" then it was the over 50's, now it's all adults. Today they are now talking about banning students from University & campus if the aren't double jabbed - so next it will be our kids. If they get vaccine passports in for theatres and stadia - next it will be pubs and cafes and soon after they will go for a Social Credit system like China and to be honest they aren't even denying any of it now. The most sinister thing here though is the press & broadcast media not covering any of the debate - just peddling government narrative. There are big protests going off all over Europe and the media don't show a thing. Macron has gone full scale dictator in France & Johnson seems determined to follow him.

I know the political situation in Thailand is less than ideal but everyone knows that and so you deal with it. At present the UK is not a functioning democracy and the few Tory MP's that were speaking up have gone very quiet. Starmer and labour may as well not exist. Johnson is now pushing forward with legislation that could see journalists imprisoned for up to 14 years for "disclosing material that embarrasses the government and/or ministers." When I went to school that was what happened in the USSR or East Germany. Many here have been deliberately terrified by the government they seem unable to think for themselves now - you even see young people on their own in cars, masked up!

Anyway, thanks again everyone. Will hold fire for a bit - but may come back with a few questions from time to time.

I imagine some of you are enjoying the exchange rate recently?

Regards
CW