Mobile Phone Providers & Plans

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Mobile Phone Providers & Plans

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:54 am I'm a mid/low user of calls but high user of mobile data. Im thrilled to get everything I need(unlimited, superfast speeds) for £3.60/month.
Yes, also interested in unlimited, high-speed internet for just 160 baht a month - if real I can cancel the home broadband. Link, please?
My speed mobile data Nong Kae /Soi 94 area Image

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:54 am I'm a mid/low user of calls but high user of mobile data. Im thrilled to get everything I need(unlimited, superfast speeds) for £3.60/month.
Yes, also interested in unlimited, high-speed internet for just 160 baht a month - if real I can cancel the home broadband. Link, please?
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.3zpWq

buksida

Post by buksida »

Hard to decipher that, but it doesn't appear to mention a data limit.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Hard to decipher that, but it doesn't appear to mention a data limit.
Typically on Lazada site, other buyers have already asked all the relevant questions re speeds, limits etc

But you can ask again....

buksida

Post by buksida »

No good for me - I live in an area where mobile signals are not as good as Hua Hin. We've only just got 4G here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:No good for me - I live in an area where mobile signals are not as good as Hua Hin. We've only just got 4G here!
Confused. If you've got 4G then I would've thought signal good?? But clearly it isn't!

Must be patchy 4G I guess

Yep, need good signal if youre going to ditch home WiFi. But incidentally I could stream netflix etc perfectly well even at the min 8mbps guaranteed speed(reasonable signal assumed).

I don't actually need the extra speed(50Mbps) that I get in my room

buksida

Post by buksida »

4G works in the town and it runs at a maximum of around 8Mbps here. I'm currently getting over 100Mbps on the new broadband set up so it would be a step backward for me.

Anyway, it could be an option for the OP.

To add, I've been on prepaid AIS One-2-Call for about 20 years and hardly ever use the call function as it can all be done over WiFi. I reckon I spend less than 500 baht a year on mobile topups.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've looked at the Lazada page, and must say, it looks interesting i.e. it states:
8++ Mbps, unlimited internet, no speed reduction
Also:
Free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time
The above swallows my current package, which is costing 399฿/month.

I am tempted.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I've looked at the Lazada page, and must say, it looks interesting i.e. it states:
8++ Mbps, unlimited internet, no speed reduction
Also:
Free calls to all networks 30 minutes / time
The above swallows my current package, which is costing 399฿/month.

I am tempted.
Still terrific value at 2199

I might buy my renewal now....

As you seem to be able to translate can you please see if there's any small print in there that says the card needs to activated within a certain period of time??

I don't need it for another 3 months but I'm concerned this package may not be available in October, so I might buy now and switch it on in October

Finally, I would remind anyone interested...you *might* be stuck with the new number that comes with card(although you get a choice of about 20 numbers, some of which are easier to recall etc)

Thanks

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't translate, but this is my laptop's translation:
plan.png
(129.62 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I can't translate, but this is my laptop's translation:
plan.png
Thanks, this I what I needed to know Image

buksida

Post by buksida »

The only concern I would have is the data limit. These packages usually throttle the speed once a set amount of bandwidth has been used up (the 1,790 baht Net Marathon one said 100GB per month - the MAXX sim card is just 20GB). However - there is no mention of any of that with this one making it a good deal for those that want always-on mobile data if there truly is no data limit.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That would be my worry also, but I'm sure there are some very cheap packages out there with decent data. As you know, pre-Covid I used to travel on football supporters buses regularly. All the Thais on the bus seem to have unlimited TV streaming on their phones. When I wanted to watch the Rugby World Cup Final whilst attending the Thai FA Cup final, AIS charged me a fortune, just to watch England get their arses handed to them on a plate.

My theory is they see the colour of our skin, and we get offered Farang packages.

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks to you all for recommendations / suggestions.
the second phone is i guess emergency only and requires next to no data needs.
hope this topic helped a few others as well.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:That would be my worry also, but I'm sure there are some very cheap packages out there with decent data. As you know, pre-Covid I used to travel on football supporters buses regularly. All the Thais on the bus seem to have unlimited TV streaming on their phones. When I wanted to watch the Rugby World Cup Final whilst attending the Thai FA Cup final, AIS charged me a fortune, just to watch England get their arses handed to them on a plate.

My theory is they see the colour of our skin, and we get offered Farang packages.
Yes that's something to definitely look out for when searching for these types of 1 year deals

But the one with the link i sent is truly unlimited(data & calls)

Other T&Cs

SMS are charged for... 2.14 baht but when do we need to send SMS nowadays? LINE WhatsApp have taken over

Calls to AIS call centre are free(unlike Tru)

International calls are normally 18 baht per min but using 00 3 44 (UK) then only 7 baht. So a 10 min call to e.g your Doctor or Lawyer in UK would cost £1.57.

And I've got one of these and can confirm there are no extra charges

If anyone is interested, I stress once again *you won't able to change to your old number* not even if it's an AIS number like mine is(or certainly you should assume that for now, I'm still digging)

Personally I found getting a new number last year not that much of a ball ache at all. I'd do it again for such a good deal

Timing update(following BB's earlier post) this promo must be registered before 28 Feb 2022 so plenty of time