Mobile Phone Providers & Plans

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
bigston
Professional
Professional

Mobile Phone Providers & Plans

Post by bigston »

We always have had a " tourist " sim card for our yearly visit to Thailand
As we are residing permanently in Pranburi after August, im hoping to get your suggestions as to a decent plan or are they fairly similar
2 phones will be in use, id think the most they will get used is using the
"we are watching everywhere you go "apps.
apart from that, very few phone calls and minimal internet, perhaps the occassional google maps etc
thanks.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Mobile Phone Providers & Plans

Post by thecolonel »

bigston wrote:We always have had a " tourist " sim card for our yearly visit to Thailand
As we are residing permanently in Pranburi after August, im hoping to get your suggestions as to a decent plan or are they fairly similar
2 phones will be in use, id think the most they will get used is using the
"we are watching everywhere you go "apps.
apart from that, very few phone calls and minimal internet, perhaps the occassional google maps etc
thanks.
Buy a 1 year SIM from lazada.

You get so much more bang for your buck than paying monthly

I paid 1920 incl delivery vat etc for a 1 year AIS SIM. No monthly charges after that. That's 160 a month. It would 300+ if monthly and not as good package

Unlimited data at min 8 mbps (sometimes get 60+!) netflix streams perfectly when hotspot my laptop

Unlimited calls to ANY network
SMS will be charged at small rate

I'll be getting another in October when it expires for certain

One possible downside..... Not sure you can keep old number, or you may have to pay AIS shop in MV a fee fur changing it??

Good luck

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Have used all three carriers are some time or other and am now using a Truemove 299 baht package, but realistically a little over 300 baht depending on usage. It has 1Gb of fast internet, after which it slows down but is unlimited. I think 100 minutes of talk time after which you will be charged per minute, seldom sms but those are charged at 3 baht per sms. The package includes access to True wifi at the shopping centers so it does not eat into your high-speed allowance. I have a separate wifi service provider at home which is why I have this minimalist package. Overseas calls do not break the bank if you use voip. I feel Truemove has better nationwide coverage overall. Have not felt any urgency to change carriers yet.
วินเชนท์
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

If you need very little internet, you don't need a package. I have a dtac SIM card and use internet at home with a fiber line. Normally I have a phone bill of 3 Baht a month, when extending the value of my SIM card. I use Google Maps without interent, I just have to load my route once at home. If I really need internet, I buy a 24h internet package from dtac for 29 Baht.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Similar to pitsch, I’ve been living here fo 10 years and have survived very well using a PAYG Sim Card as I rarely make many phone calls and use it with internet when I’m at home. I think I can count on one hand, the number of times I’ve had to turn in 4G when I’ve been out, so unless your life depends on it, I’d also recommend going PAYG.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

PAYG is probably best suited to your needs as already stated. Should you want to go down the subscription path I would avoid True as although their coverage is good I am one of many who has had no end of trouble when wanting to cancel the package. I use AIS and have found them to be very good and would recommend them but there are many deals out there and it is probably best to talk to people in your area to see who offers the most reliable service as that is the main place you will use the phone. When in areas with a more concentrated population all of the big players are likely to have a good presence.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 am I would avoid True as although their coverage is good I am one of many who has had no end of trouble
I can't disagree with that statement. I have been one of many who has suffered similar experiences.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I switched from Tru to AIS and I'm well happy with service, and I doubt I return to Tru.

Depends where you live/use phone

Yes, the OP may be better off on PAYG

But, I think the most important question for OP is.... What's he planning to do re wifi in home??

Typically that's 600 baht/month for min 1 year contract

Because, now he's permanently residing, I think his choice of mobile sim package depends on whether he wants wifi in home and/or whether he's paying for it(or it's free)

I'm a mid/low user of calls but high user of mobile data. Im thrilled to get everything I need(unlimited, superfast speeds) for £3.60/month.

Incidentally that would be £50 in UK I reckon, and not unlimited either. Not a reason to have it per se, but it's the right set up for me anyways.

I simply don't need my 600 baht/month WiFi(landlord pays it) and if it went down I've got my mobile as back up.

But yes, outside of the home, if low user then you could be throwing away eg £2 month doing it 'my' way

Depends on home WiFi situation...

-Free home wifi... Get a PAYG as low user

-Need home WiFi and need to pay for it - consider a package like mine

That's my tuppence worth

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Prepaid pay-for-use also makes a lot of sense but you will have to keep it topped up. I have a 'spare' 2G phone with a 3G DTAC sim card in the car for emergency use, it costs 10 baht per month to keep the Sim alive and has about 200 baht of credit in it.
Prepaid sims may also need a separate internet add-on, and, as with a friend who did use this, he found that costs sometimes escalated beyond that for which a monthly package would have been preferable.
Start out with a prepaid card, you can always 'upgrade'. And since you'll be using two phones, it would makes sense to use prepaid on at least one of them. Not sure if they will issue two sims with the same number and a joint package.
As to the problems with True I wouldn't know as I have not tried to cancel my plan.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

VincentD wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:59 am As to the problems with True I wouldn't know as I have not tried to cancel my plan.
The problems come before the attempts to cancel, but if you haven't noticed, I guess you are one of the lucky ones.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:54 am I'm a mid/low user of calls but high user of mobile data. Im thrilled to get everything I need(unlimited, superfast speeds) for £3.60/month.
This isn't the first time mentioned such an amazing deal. I think it was a different provider last time. Could you share the name of the package please?

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:54 am I'm a mid/low user of calls but high user of mobile data. Im thrilled to get everything I need(unlimited, superfast speeds) for £3.60/month.
Yes, also interested in unlimited, high-speed internet for just 160 baht a month - if real I can cancel the home broadband. Link, please?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
Yes, also interested in unlimited, high-speed internet for just 160 baht a month - if real I can cancel the home broadband. Link, please?
Sure, happy to help....

As mentioned can only get from Lazada NOT AIS shop

And must be 1 year pre paid to get such value

See photos below

1. Copy of my order last Oct

2 & 3 & 4 When I click on my order I get the updated promotion, price is higher and all in Thai language so I cant see all the T&Cs

5. My mobile data speed in my condo

Need to be sure its unlimited data(sometimes capped)
Need to be sure speed doesn't drop
Need to be sure that calls are to ALL networks(sometimes they are not)

However sometimes the 'restrictions' aren't too bad, but mine is all inclusive full speed

Naturally international calls not included but AIS have great rates for that (eg dial 00 3 44 for UK)

As stated may not be able to change to old number(ask the lazada shop or AIS may change for fee)

More photos will follow

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
OrderImage

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
Current promo Image