Amazon Prime Deals ... limited time

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Amazon Prime Deals ... limited time

Post by KhunLA »

This may interest a few in the market, considering some of the conversations of late, about HDs, laptops & Phones. None really interest myself, as a bit flush in ext. HDs. Some 'all-time low prices' available.

@ 3 minute mark, talks about items above. Of course if actually in Thailand, shipping may offset any savings, but still may work out cheaper than local vendors. If in USA or EU / UK, should be some bargains for you.

Happy Shopping
buksida

Re: Amazon Prime Deals ... limited time

Post by buksida »

Can you even get Amazon Prime in Thailand?

Last time I tried using my UK account they wouldn't ship here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 am Can you even get Amazon Prime in Thailand?

Last time I tried using my UK account they wouldn't ship here.
Yeah, but you have to have an account registered at a USA address then you can ship to any address, but the customs and shipping to here will kill any "special sale day" savings for sure. There are only certain items as well that are eligible for shipping to Thailand. They'll tell you on the selection pages once you tick that it's to be shipped to a Thailand address.

Edit: There's also an Amazon, Singapore store, but I've never tried it and no idea what the shipping and Customs deal is with Thailand.

https://www.amazon.sg/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Not an Amazon fan either, just for the shipping & custom duty fees. But a lot, most of forum members don't live here, so thought it would interest a few.

I do, have used them in the USA, to USA address, then have shipped via 'slow boat' to here. Other vendors more, as Amazon not the cheapest. Matter of fact, just started filling another box over there, just don't need anything else or saw a good sale on anything of interest. Once full it be shipped over, though takes a couple months, but depending what purchased, saves quite a bit.

Sort of 'off' topic, but has anyone here, ordered from Amazon, and got a partial or full refund of 'custom duty' after receiving, as per the T&C, after shipper reports back, or not, then full refund of duty. TIA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I get partial Customs refunds often, usually associated with a big yearly order(s) around Christmas. It's never much, a few dollars usually, and arrive 30-60 days after the fact. They're credited directly to the credit card you used for the purchase.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I couldn’t be bothered with all the hassle of trying to get something shipped to Thailand with the risk that custom duties would end up making the goods too expensive, however I did buy some wine using Amazon Prime yesterday, for friends in the UK who have done me some favours and this was my thank you, whilst saving me 23%.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Whatever you buy from the US, if it amounts to over 1500bht., due to shipping, duty & tax, will end up costing you double the price, i.e. if it arrives at your house and isn't "lost" after it arrives in Thailand.

In the past, I've had 5 packages disappear after being sent from the US and UK. I gave up after that.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:08 am I get partial Customs refunds often, usually associated with a big yearly order(s) around Christmas. It's never much, a few dollars usually, and arrive 30-60 days after the fact. They're credited directly to the credit card you used for the purchase.
Thank you, good to know, just in case they have something worth the extras.

"In the past, I've had 5 packages disappear" ... Had that problem when I first got here with magazine subscriptions, strangely. Guess they liked looking at the dive photos, though could have delivered after done viewing. Solved with a PO Box, then all of the sudden they appeared monthly. So local end delivery postal worker was the issue, who was finally fired for that. No problems since with deliveries to the house, though do keep a PO Box, for important docs, or if I know I won't be here to receive.

Actually excellent delivery service here, if not to PO Box, my experiences anyway, as I left money under the motorbike seat, or taped to column in carport, and instruct delivery person what to do when needed, collect & hide package, or put in motorbike, if fitting and only 1 delivery if we are out & about. Rarely order anything not COD.

USA to Thailand shipping, brother in law's ex, ships to us, and slow boat route avoids any risk of added custom duty. Of course depends what one is buying, to offset shipping cost, along with not needing right away. We get a box or 3 every year of things not available of silly priced here.

Aside from that, I don't order anything from overseas vendors any more, that is heavy or expensive, as customs is a joke, and add on what ever fee they want. Used to help a little by using Thai name & address (Thai script) but even that doesn't seem to help any more.

Last kitchen appliance we ordered, they tacked on 80% of cost/value, sadly still cheaper than buying here, but we disputed it, and it came down to 30%. On the books, it should have been 10%, and the dispute took 6 weeks to settle, and only after we said, F' it, send it back or lower the fee. WTF.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Not an Amazon fan either, just for the shipping & custom duty fees. But a lot, most of forum members don't live here, so thought it would interest a few.
It was useful to me. I just ordered another Kindle from Amazon.de, it was cheap enough to be worth buying to keep at work for idle moments.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I have redeemed local Citibank points on Amazon, but if I remember correctly you need to have an Amazon account and the transaction is in us dollars. It was a long time ago so need to check..
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Most of the time the Thai local post does a good job. Now, if anything in Thailand comes via the post office, we request that it be sent EMS then, it usually arrives the next day.

Recently two packages were sent to us, 1 week apart, from Bangkok, via regular post and never arrived.

It's even worse in the US. I sent a piece of mail to Florida, The PO here said it would take 2 weeks to reach the US. After that it took another 6 weeks to be delivered. Everything is being blamed on Covid-19 but I doubt that that is the only reason for the poor delivery service.

In the US, the Trump appointee to the post-master generals position is doing his best to destroy the postal service as he wants to turn it into a private, profit making business.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm
It was useful to me. I just ordered another Kindle from Amazon.de, it was cheap enough to be worth buying to keep at work for idle moments.
Good to hear ... 👍👍

Other thought, USPS has always been crap. How an enterprise which held a monopoly for so long, never turned a profit is testament to anything the gov't is involved in.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I order from time to time, from both Amazon in the UK and US. Sometimes, one will will deliver to Thailand, the other not. At other times, one has what I want in stock (new book), the other you have to pre-order.

But my last two orders told me the full price, including duties, in advance. For both orders, I subsequently received refunds for overpaid duty. That bit was automated.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

KhunLA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 pm
STEVE G wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm
Good to hear ... 👍👍

Other thought, USPS has always been crap. How an enterprise which held a monopoly for so long, never turned a profit is testament to anything the gov't is involved in.
The USPS can't couldn't and can't turn a profit because of the amount paid out in pension plans. At this point, there are thousands of retired employees collecting pensions and 36 cent stamps aren't going to pay for them. There are several delivery services that could do the job but there is very little mail going out. In this day of digital wonderment, very few people use the postal service.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'd like to thank my fellow forum members for reminding me about Amazon Prime Day. I'm now about £250 worse off than I was first thing this morning... Oh well, easy come, easy go! :laugh:
This is the way