Contacting HMRC UK from Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Contacting HMRC UK from Thailand

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi,

I am trying to contact the HMRC on-line to check my Personal Tax Account. https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Unfortunately I reach the bit where they state they have sent me the 6 digit code to my telephone ...... but it never arrives.

I tried using the Express VPN connected to London, but exactly the same outcome.

Is it possible to connect to your UK Personal Tax Account from Thailand?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: HMRC UK

Post by Dannie Boy »

Don East Stand wrote:Hi,

I am trying to contact the HMRC on-line to check my Personal Tax Account. https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Unfortunately I reach the bit where they state they have sent me the 6 digit code to my telephone ...... but it never arrives.

I tried using the Express VPN connected to London, but exactly the same outcome.

Is it possible to connect to your UK Personal Tax Account from Thailand?

I’ve always been able to do it - I’m normally using a VPN set to the Uk. I haven’t tried this year, but unless there’s been a change then I’m assuming it will be same as normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I often get caught in this 'code sent to your phone' situation where the code only lasts so long and if for some reason your connection is a bit slow it arrives, if ever, too late. I have a UK number and normally keep that phone turned off as even texts to Thailand are expensive. When I know I am going to have this problem I usually turn the phone on and wait until I have had a few of the normal 'Welcome to Thailand, we will charge you the earth for your calls as you are in a roam further destination' message which proves that the phone is receiving messages. Only then do I try to log in knowing the 'code' will be sent. It doesn't always work and is guaranteed to take a while but usually I get there in the end.
At present I am trying to sort out my back NI voluntary contributions but have, after having issues as above, found out I have to submit various documents by post as a scan is not acceptable. The form is online only and you have to print it out once completed but that is another issue for me as I work on a ship and the internet connection is lousy and I can only get a phone signal in port to get the dreaded code. I tried to find a way to communicate via email but it seems that the inland revenue have still got a way to catch up to the modern world and snail mail/phone calls seem to be the way to communicate. Surprising as it is money going to them which you would think they would be pleased to receive.
Best of luck with your dealings with HMRC and I hope you can get things sorted.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Just tried it, first time using VPN and worked as usual. No issues with the pone OTP. Might I suggest you clear all cookies and browsing history.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Re: Contacting HMRC UK from Thailand

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi

Thanks for all the helpful responses. They all confirmed that it is possible to contact HMRC from Thailand.

The problem was obviously with me! :|

After further investigation and a little bit of detective work, I discovered that my UK mobile phone had been disabled! :shock:

No idea exactly when, although it had been working 2 weeks prior to my attempts to contact HMRC

So switching the phone off and then back on again did the trick! :? :roll:

I was able to receive the 6 digit code from HMRC and complete my business. I did not need to use the VPN or clear cookies ....... it was all so simple and straightforward!

Once again thanks for the replies!