Traveling in Thailand during the time of Covid

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Traveling in Thailand during the time of Covid

Post by joelle »

Decided to go away for a few days despite the actual situation, needed a change. Thought some of you might want to know what's happening when going to some places.

Wednesday 2nd of June we drove all the way to Khanom, not a single control.

At the entrance of Khanom there was a big tent across the road and temperature was checked. The same happens when you go in to Donsak, only on the way in. At 11h30 everyone disappears, probably for lunch break.

On Saturday 5th we went to Koh Phangan as, at Donsak pier, we were told there was no problem. But when we disembarked it was another story.

First we parked the car and queued to enter a room where the body temperature is taken. Following this we needed to go in another queue, there was 3 lanes, one for people coming from a red zone, a middle one for those coming from none red zone and a 3rd one (?).

We said we came from Khanom and were directed to the middle lane. After a very long wait in the heat came our turn and there big problem, we were in the wrong queue and had to go in the red zone lane, Nakhon Si Thammarat is red zone.

We were told we have to quarantine for up to 14 days and are not allowed to get out of the resort but could leave the island before the 14 days were up.

After heaps of papers were filled (Thailand way of course) and a phone call to the resort to make sure we had a room booked we were allowed to go. It was also said that somebody would come and check us every day.

The following 4 days all I had was a phone call from the hospital: " how are you today? - Fine - Ok goodbye" nothing asked about my husband, no visit at the hotel.

Left Wednesday drove all the way back to Cha Am, not a single control.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Traveling in Thailand during the time of Covid

Post by Dannie Boy »

It sounds like you won’t be rushing to do it again?
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 am It sounds like you won’t be rushing to do it again?
555 actually it didn't bother us too much, and after the phone calls, the hotel told us we could go out
We were of course taking all the proper measures "DMHTT", wore mask and kept our distances, which wasn't difficult as not many people around
Only 2 rooms/bungalows including ours were occupied out of 70 ! So finally quite enjoyable
The worse part was at the pier, the long time queuing and waiting for all the paperwork in the heat !
buksida

Post by buksida »

Last month we tried to book a hotel less than an hour away from where we live in the neighboring province, Chumphon. They said if we're coming from Prachuap province we could stay but couldn't leave the room.

The place was packed with Bangkok hi-sos over the last long weekend. This ilk can operate with impunity it seems. :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 am Last month we tried to book a hotel less than an hour away from where we live in the neighboring province, Chumphon. They said if we're coming from Prachuap province we could stay but couldn't leave the room.
We did not have to stay in the room, only in the resort, and we could walk along the beach providing we wore our masks despite the fact that there was not a sole on the beach.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Also out this week (MTW), for some business at Krung Thep Monday. Was going to extend more than the 1 day necessary to visit with daughter, but she was feeling very under the weather. Nothing different except less vendors, a bit more mask wearing. Dined at local street food (food court) & delivery, out of laziness & damn muggy. In hotel brekkie the next morning was quite strange, one other couple there for breakfast, and we, wife & I, had to sit at adjacent tables, sharing same bench seat. Strange hotel (assuming) policy.

We did sleep together 🤣 Along with tables no further away, than if I had been sitting across from her, maybe 1/3 meter further away. I could literally reach over and touch her, without stretching. Surprised they didn't make us get a 'twin beds' room. 🤣

Hopped over to Samut Songkram for another night. Very lax restriction at resort, none. Then popped over to Ratchaburi on the way home, the next day, take some photos at empty attraction, hillside wat. No monitoring, since only people there.

Headed back home, and no check points at all, any where. Stopped at a new small shopping mall on 37, upscale OTOP, and waste of time. One 'disturbing' aspect, parked and wife went window shopping, I went different direction, toilet, drain the ol' bladder, on the way toward shopping area (toilet farthest right) and next to, temp check, man at desk of, mask completely under chin 😲 why bother, then to top it off, reaches over touches me, while placing colored sticker on my shirt, and now we are face to face ... WTF, again, why bother.

Ever stranger, unless using the toilet, shoppers weren't screened, as that station was at farthest end from where people parked. Totally ridiculous. TIT, sadly not just Thailand, but whole world has gone nuts.
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

joelle wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 am
buksida wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 am Last month we tried to book a hotel less than an hour away from where we live in the neighboring province, Chumphon. They said if we're coming from Prachuap province we could stay but couldn't leave the room.
We did not have to stay in the room, only in the resort, and we could walk along the beach providing we wore our masks despite the fact that there was not a sole on the beach.
This was a "should I" debate and in no way meant to be pedantic :naughty: but I'm not surprised you didn't see a sole on the beach as they tend to live on the seabed with SpongeBob Square pants :laugh: :laugh: :duck:
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Topspin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm
This was a "should I" debate and in no way meant to be pedantic :naughty: but I'm not surprised you didn't see a sole on the beach as they tend to live on the seabed with SpongeBob Square pants :laugh: :laugh: :duck:
:laugh: :laugh: saw him when we went snorkelling and on the beach not a soul :wink: :cheers:
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

:laugh: :laugh:
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty:
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Topspin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm
It looked a little strange to me at first glance, until I defined sole as the bottom or under surface of a foot. Then it made perfect sense regarding what was missing from the beach ;)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's just a typo. It should be 'soul'.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:36 pm It's just a typo. It should be 'soul'.
liked it with "sole." We do need more humor on the forum.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Scout wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:44 am until I defined sole as the bottom or under surface of a foot. Then it made perfect sense regarding what was missing from the beach ;)
Or, that other 'sole'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish)

Apparently no sole meaning to the word 'sole' ... :duck:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Ooops
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

So many (understandable) comments about a spelling error ! lol
I would like to read about the experiences of other members so please :offtopic: