Quiz: Are you older than you thought?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Quiz: Are you older than you thought?

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:45 am 37 ... got all the tech but not all the kitchen items and WTF is a carpet beater?
When you used to hang the carpet over the washing line and give it a good beating!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What you use to beat carpets until they're dead.

Long before fitted carpets, you'd lift the carpet and hang it over your washing line outside. Then you'd smack it repeatedly with your carpet beater to get the dust out.

I remember them being used. Often you couldn't see the 'beater' for dust.

Now you have vacuum cleaners.
Last edited by HHTel on Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You beat me to it DB.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Being born in the mid-70s, our carpets were all stuck to the floor!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think I bought a house you'd once owned. The carpets were literally stuck to the floor! After spending hours in one room trying to lift them, I used the old carpet as underlay in others
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

45 of 50. I must be younger than I am.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am I think I bought a house you'd once owned. The carpets were literally stuck to the floor! After spending hours in one room trying to lift them, I used the old carpet as underlay in others
Being born in the late 50's,my mother( Hyacinth Bucket :laugh: ) would never allow such horrors :duck: :naughty: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am ... I used the old carpet as underlay in others
And for buksida's benefit, underlay is the Spanish word for 'go on'...
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:31 pm
HHTel wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 am ... I used the old carpet as underlay in others
And for buksida's benefit, underlay is the Spanish word for 'go on'...
That's better than your cap comp. submissions :lach: :lach:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nothing to do with a quiz. I came across this article referring back to the TV regulations in the 50's. I can remember the time quite well. Early in the article the question a family had to decide upon. A car or a TV. They opted for a 14" TV!

A nostalgic read:
At 6pm every evening the screen went blank’: the outlandish tale of the UK’s TV blackout

It’s 65 years today since television sets had to stop broadcasting to allow parents to put children to bed. How did it ever seem like a good idea?
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... s'%20truce.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It’s 65 years today since television sets had to stop broadcasting to allow parents to put children to bed. How did it ever seem like a good idea?
Really? I guess those old black and white sets were ahead of their time!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm
Really? I guess those old black and white sets were ahead of their time!
I was born in 1939 & didn't grow up with TV and in 1991 my inlaws gave us a TV. We plugged it in, turned it on, watched it for about 10 mins., turned it off, and gave it back. The next one was in 2004. My housemate had one, I rarely watched it. Today, my wife is addicted to TV and her iphone. I'd rather read. TV seems inane and the supreme waste of time. To each his own.