External Hard Drives.

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
londongeorge

External Hard Drives.

Post by londongeorge »

Just over a year ago I bought a 5TB Seagate hard drive for between 4,000 - 5,000 Baht. Today I went to check out prices at Banana I.T. and the asking price for the same one now is B7,850. I noticed that 4 TB ones have also gone up by between 40 and 50%. Anyone know when and why this has happened????
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: External Hard Drives.

Post by Dannie Boy »

londongeorge wrote:Just over a year ago I bought a 5TB Seagate hard drive for between 4,000 - 5,000 Baht. Today I went to check out prices at Banana I.T. and the asking price for the same one now is B7,850. I noticed that 4 TB ones have also gone up by between 40 and 50%. Anyone know when and why this has happened????
Semiconductors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

londongeorge wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:08 pm Just over a year ago I bought a 5TB Seagate hard drive for between 4,000 - 5,000 Baht. Today I went to check out prices at Banana I.T. and the asking price for the same one now is B7,850. I noticed that 4 TB ones have also gone up by between 40 and 50%. Anyone know when and why this has happened????
Increased shipping costs for one. Also an increase in the price of materials from raw to finished. Definitely not because of increased wages. You probably have to factor in greed on the part of manufacturers who are listed on a stock exchange. The price of everything is inflating.

An aside; A friend, who works for Seagate, told that the one thing that you can guarantee about a hard drive is that at some point it will crash.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I bought a 5 TB 'Passport' at the beginning of April through Lazada.

Price: 3,251 baht.

Made by Western Digital. Have had an earlier one of the same make for several years and still working well.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:41 pm I bought a 5 TB 'Passport' at the beginning of April through Lazada.

Made by Western Digital. Have had an earlier one of the same make for several years and still working well.
That would kind of point to a Banana I.T problem. Covid has some companies in a desperate situation and perhaps losing their common sense in trying to recoup falling revenues.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:41 pm I bought a 5 TB 'Passport' at the beginning of April through Lazada.

I, too, have had a passport for many years. No compaints!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As I mentioned above, and although I’m not an IT expert (novice in fact), I’m fairly certain that hard drives like most electronic devices rely heavily on semi-conductors and the global shortage is pushing up the prices significantly, so any device that uses them will be impacted accordingly.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Dannie Boy wrote:As I mentioned above, and although I’m not an IT expert (novice in fact), I’m fairly certain that hard drives like most electronic devices rely heavily on semi-conductors and the global shortage is pushing up the prices significantly, so any device that uses them will be impacted accordingly.
100% correct here DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But still shows a massive price difference between high street and online.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:36 pm But still shows a massive price difference between high street and online.
Have you checked the current price for the same item - they’ve probably gone up?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

OMG. You're absolutely right. In just 6 weeks from 3,250 up to 5.099 baht. I obviously bought just at the right time!

:bow: :bow:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Hard Drive Prices Skyrocket In Asia Due to New Chia Cryptocoin, Scalpers Capitalize

Forget GPUs, hard drives are the new gold

A report from China last week pointed out that cryptocurrency miners were buying up hard drives and SSDs to farm Chia Coin, a cryptocurrency that isn't scheduled to start trading until May 3. While the situation hasn't gotten to the point of a global shortage, new reports from two other Asian publications have confirmed that hard drive pricing has soared through the roof in some regions, and hard drive maker Seagate has confirmed in its quarterly financial earnings that it sees a surge in demand related to cryptocurrency mining.
More at the link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard- ... aking-bank
buksida

Post by buksida »

Quick heads up to be aware of fake/dodgy hard drives being sold on Lazada. If they're around half the price of the rest of them, there is a reason for it. Avoid at all costs and always read the reviews, you won't get a refund (I learnt the hard way).

Just like Facebook, Lazada has started pedalling fake merchandise and unscrupulous outlets.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Did you report the seller to Lazada?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As I've said before, always check out the seller. Many have their own websites, shops etc. It's relatively easy to check them out. You can even contact the seller in most cases.
"You won't get a refund!" - Never had a problem on that score.

Contact Lazada regarding any problems with the seller. They will and have kicked merchants off the platform. At the end of the day, Lazada only provides a platform and I've found in the past that they will intervene with any dispute between you and the seller.