Is tap water safe to use boiling water in a kettle for coffee

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Is tap water safe to use boiling water in a kettle for coffee

Post by Hahuahin »

I have all the years in Thailand used water I buy in this 5-6 water containers from either Tesco or any other reasonable store when I boil coffee water but have started to wonder if its not a waist of money because after all its boiled. When that said I drink a :oops: lot of coffee both the instant Gold Nescafe original and their Decaffeinated one so would like to hear what others say about safety of boiled tap water.
Thank you
hahuahin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Is tap water safe to use boiling water in a kettle for coffee

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:16 pm I have all the years in Thailand used water I buy in this 5-6 water containers from either Tesco or any other reasonable store when I boil coffee water but have started to wonder if its not a waist of money because after all its boiled. When that said I drink a :oops: lot of coffee both the instant Gold Nescafe original and their Decaffeinated one so would like to hear what others say about safety of boiled tap water.
Thank you
hahuahin
I should imagine that many Thais do exactly that - slightly different but my wife always cleans her teeth using tap water and hasn’t come to any (obvious) harm. Having said that, I always used bottled water for everything that goes inside my mouth, probably over-cautious but the fact that the big five gallon bottles of water are only 10 Baht from our local supplier, cost is not an issue.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Tap water in Thailand is not safe. It needs to be boiled for 20 mins before drinking.

Why even bother? For 12 - 15 baht, you get a huge bottle of filtered water. There are dispensers everywhere now for safe drinking water, again for just a few baht.

A couple I know was using the water from the tap and both developed Bell's Palsy. It was always assumed that it was because they were too mean to spend a few baht on safe water. There are much deadlier diseases that you can catch.

Don't even think about it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I too use the tap water for cleaning teeth, but always use bottled water for everything else. When cooking, Mrs BB always uses bottled water. As Dannie says, at 10฿/5 gallons, cost isnt an issue. I sue tap water for cleaning teeth through laziness, I guess.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Even the WHO agree that the water is safe for showering and cleaning your teeth, but not for drinking. When you clean your teeth, the amount you actually consume is very very small.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Like others I brush my teeth with tap water. I will cook with it using it to boil stuff that is not too absorbent. I'll let it boil a while before I put anything in it.

I use it for eggs, hot dogs
I don't use it for pasta
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Thank you all for replying then that issue is cleared. I too brush my teeth and shower in the tap water but drink only the Singha or Nestle water. For cooking I normally use the Tesco's own brand, think its 29 baht now. The container water to 10-15 baht is unfortunately not to get delivered to my condominium.
hahuahin
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Once in Hua Hin, I tried using well boiled tap water for making tea, to avoid a trip to the shop and it had an after taste that made it pretty nasty.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

I use bottled water for all consumption & cooking, but I brush my teeth using tap water because it is not in jested. Plus a very small exposure to any Thai bugs per day can help develop stronger immunity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've been using a Stiebel countertop water filter for 7 yrs. I change the filter every 6 months. it amounts to 200 baht a month for water. I got tired of buying, carrying, storing & paying more for water bottles than it costs to buy filters. Also, I prefer the taste of the filtered water. I brush my teeth and shower with tap water.