Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Post by hhinner »

OK. Agreed, it's stupid. Not much use if you're using a PC.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I find it frustrating, but it is part of life in Thailand. As I have said, it's kids coming out of college, where they've learnt new skills. They just try to impress by using them at every opportunity, regardless of suitability. That is not a problem, and happens the world over. Where it falls down is nobody seems to check the application before it is released here. Or if they are, they don't seem to have the correct criterion.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another example of Thailand's obsession with QR Codes. I think those who have previously registered for Covid vaccination need to scan this code and enter their ID Card number to confirm they are in the system.
code.jpg
(209.92 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
The big problem is most Thais will be seeing this on their only device, their phone. They need to scan the code with their phone, so how? Why not just provide a simple URL ( http://203.157.159.10/covid19.php ), which can be clicked? Of course, a practical, boring URL doesn't look as sexy.

It amazes me that these clowns actually have the intelligence to use QR Codes in the first place. Who is doing the QA checks if anybody? They must be just as stupid.

Don't forget the technical ability of most of the people who this code is targeting - Thailand's older generation.

These people actually walk amongst us :shock: .

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

How to scan on phone? Screenshot or download picture. Crop to qr code only and save. Use qr code app or official app to scan qr code from file rather than camera.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Google translate
IMG_20210501_092844.jpg
IMG_20210501_092844.jpg (210.4 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here is another example:
Another one.jpg
Another one.jpg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Url: https://line.me/R/ti/p/%40475ptmfj

Thais need to scan this code to access the online vaccine registration.

FFS, this is life saving stuff being hidden behind technology :?

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think that these QR codes will be on posters where showing a QR code is easier than an URL. As far as I recall people can go into, or phone, a public hospital to be registered so don't have to use technology.

I would also expect that public health volunteers will be doing the rounds in villages in the less "sophisticated" parts of Thailand.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

In fact many people in HH will be registered already when Hua Him Hospital did manual registrations around the communities a month ago.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Many, but not all. My wife was told she was the first, but putting her ID Card into the output from the first QR Code shows nothing. So it is not very reassuring. Did her registration work? Does she need to do it again? These are old, vulnerable people. They shouldn't have to rely upon QR Codes, and if they do, they then have to wonder if the output is telling them their registration did not work, or is it the usual story of Thai technology not working.

Or do they think by using QR Codes, not only does it look pretty, nobody will actually be able to access their poor programming?

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 am How to scan on phone? Screenshot or download picture. Crop to qr code only and save. Use qr code app or official app to scan qr code from file rather than camera.
I have no idea of what any of that means. How do you expect an elderly Thai person to understand it? Or, were you explaining it for people other than digitally handicapped?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:16 am Many, but not all. My wife was told she was the first, but putting her ID Card into the output from the first QR Code shows nothing. So it is not very reassuring. Did her registration work? Does she need to do it again? These are old, vulnerable people. They shouldn't have to rely upon QR Codes, and if they do, they then have to wonder if the output is telling them their registration did not work, or is it the usual story of Thai technology not working.

Or do they think by using QR Codes, not only does it look pretty, nobody will actually be able to access their poor programming?
QR codes are very convenient when on a sign or poster. I agree that when information is given on a web site an URL is much more convenient. Perhaps the original web sites that these pictures were taken from also include the URLs?

I think your wife may have been the first to register at the hospital, but iirc that was after the community registrations had started. Your wife's piece of paper may well have been overlooked. Maybe you should use the web form and register again. And try for yourself as well. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

She registered at the Red Cross. I too am thinking she should register again, but I'll wait a bit. The response the site is giving at the moment indicates it is just not working i.e. nothing happens.

If my wife's registration hasn't gone through, I guess everybody needs to check. So I will update progress.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Still nothing happening on the 'check' site, after a day of registrations. I would have expected something to have happened by now. I will try again tomorrow and Monday. If the response is still nothing, I will register her again.

hhinner, you say you have registered, have you been able to get any response from the 'check' site? I suspect it is just another failed Thai IT Project, launched before it was ready.

Talking failed Thai IT projects, I see Morchana has come to an untimely end.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Like I said on the vaccine thread, I was able to check my wife's. And then I did mine. Though when I checked mine again this evening it said invalid id number. But now there's a BP report saying pink card holders can use it.

I'll check again tomorrow.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So if it worked for your wife, I'd better get my wife registered again. Thank you.

Points 48; Position 20