Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Post by Big Boy »

:rant:
Thailand and it's use of QR Codes is really starting to P me off.

We ordered something online 2 days ago from a company we have used many times previously. Everything was paid for, and the item was dispatched. Tracking details were provided.

The tracking stated the package would arrive yesterday, so we made sure there was somebody at home all day. Nothing arrived.

I checked the tracking today - a failed delivery. We would have to collect from the office today. Not happy, but TIT. We've had similar untruths from the post office - it is an inconvenience. Incidentally, the plethora of delivery firms all insist on a phone number these days. No card in the mail box, and no phone call either.

I'm just mildly upset at this point. Lets find the office. I'm presented with this:
QR.png
QR.png (34.79 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
FFS, all I want is an address. So I grab my phone, scan the code, and it wants me to download an app.

Now, I've written on here before what I think about downloading unsolicited apps, and this one is worse because of the origins of need - they are telling untruths, and if I want my item that I have already paid for, I can only do it if I download their app.

So where does that leave me? I've lost my money because I won't play their games. I've written to my supplier advising them they've lost a regular custom because they are probably saving a few Baht using a delivery company that doesn't do deliveries. Hopefully they will resolve it, but in the meantime, I've ordered from elsewhere.

So why in Digital Realm? Thai IT is an arse. The smart programmers learn a new trick, and then create applications to show how clever they are. Why a QR Code when a simple address will do? Since living here, I've noticed this time and time again with Thai applications. IT should make things easier.

In this case, I had to find my scanner (phone), scan the bar code, download and install an app, etc. Once I''d jumped through the hoops (which I would never do), I'd probably have to do an enquiry to receive the address that I'd requested 30 minutes ago.

I used to test software, and I always knew when it was from a newbie programmer because of exactly this type of shite. They'd learnt a clever trick at college, and tried to write it into everything they wrote to show how clever they were - I wasn't very popular when I rejected it with a reason of 'Tail Wagging the Dog'.

Some Thai QR Code applications are very clever, such as the 50/50 thingy. But trying to make me jump through a dozen hoops to get an address to resolve their incompetence is a definite no.
:rant:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Thailand - Tail Wagging the Dog

Post by buksida »

QR codes are actually very useful.

However, Thailand being what it is - they try to over-complicate everything which appears to be the case here. It reminds me of my Kafkaesque experience when trying to book accommodation in a national park online, utter mind numbing lunacy.

They also assume that everyone has a smartphone and is comfortable using them. I had spoken to a few older Thai people recently who have missed out on govt handouts because they don't have a smartphone or a clue what a QR code even is.

As you say, Thai IT is at a -2.0 level most of the time, definitely not user friendly.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I agree. My wife has this 50/50 thingy, sorted by our daughter, but I have to drive it for her - she hasn't got a clue. Probably one of the smartest applications I've seen in Thailand. I am very critical of most applications because of my previous work, but I can't fault the 50/50...................... yet :D

I've also found the use of QR Codes useful at tourist spots. I've often found myself looking at something wondering what it is, and have seen a nearby QR code. Scan the code, and its a mine of information.

However, asking for an address and receiving a QR code is a definite no. In my opinion it is like fraudsters putting their own code behind a button on a web page. Click the link, and you could be downloading anything to your device.

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Post by VincentD »

It gets worse. I used to be able to pay a certain company but credit card, this year the sales rep sends me a picture of a qr code and an app to download to be able to use this. When I insisted on using the cc instead of having to download an app that could access my bank account all I got was just another picture of the qr code. They will not get my business and more. At least with acc you have a record of the transaction and some recourse if something goes wrong. Not so with a direct bank transfer.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 am I am very critical of most applications because of my previous work, but I can't fault the 50/50...................... yet :D
:laugh: In my best Victor Meldrew voice, "I don't believe it!"

50/50 was down earlier because the system was overloaded. :lach:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

50/50 means it only works 50% of the time ... just like that Chinese vaccine they're buying ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:09 pm 50/50 means it only works 50% of the time ... just like that Chinese vaccine they're buying ... :duck:
Do you mean the vaccine that China isn't going to sell to Thailand because Thailand isn't considered a poor enough country to deserve the Chinese vaccine?

The goobers better sign that agreement to let the Chinese build that high speed railway if they want to buy that vaccine.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:04 pm 50/50 was down earlier because the system was overloaded. :lach:
I've found out what happened now. It seems everybody was given just 24 hours to accept this ฿7K Covid hardship handout, and in their wisdom they are managing it on the same system. The 50/50 scheme was capped. Every man and his dog seems to qualify for the ฿7K Covid hardship handout. All they had to do yesterday (and today) was confirm the province they were living in, and it crashed the system. Methinks there is trouble ahead for the ฿7K Covid hardship handout scheme if they don't upgrade soon.

How to turn a raving success story into disaster overnight. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've never used a QR code in my life but out of curiosity, I just pointed my phone at the one above and the name J&T Express appeared and with Google I found this:
https://jtexpress.co.th/index/query/gzquery.html?bills=

They have an office here:
114/36 Petchkasem Rd, Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110, Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that is one of the problems. Courier companies are the new perceived cash cow in Thailand. They are becoming more popular than 7-11s. They have several offices on Petchkasem Rd, and many other places. Trying to resolve this, we did visit a few Petchkasem offices. They would tell us the package was in Nong Khong, but wouldn't tell us where in Nong Khong.

Eventually, somebody gave us a phone number, but even the office wouldn't give us an address (I can only assume it wasn't an office, but being run from somebody's front room). They insisted we'd have to wait for the item to be delivered, eventually. Clearly their tracking system is also wagging the dog because they are feeding it with false information to manipulate their stats. So even if I had jumped through all of their hoops, it wouldn't have helped one bit.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just for info purposes - you don't have to download any dodgy Thai apps to read QR codes there are plenty of generic ones on Google Play that will do the job without exposing your device to potential security threats: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=qr%20reader

I have one called Lightning QR.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Reading the code is not a problem. It is the url they then present, and the actions you have to take to make further sense of the output. In the case of the QR Code in Question you have to follow the url, which is an app download.
150032940_348497393246415_1079004303329385814_n.jpg
(95.51 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, that does sound ridiculously over-complicated just to get an address, but this is the land of everything backwards!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Just go to jtexpress.co.th.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And guess what that brings up when you go into Find a Branch :banghead:

Woof, bloody woof!!!