Has Hua Hin shrunk?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Re: Has Hua Hin shrunk?

Post by wenshidi »

My apologies, a quick search seems to indicate 4 - 5,000 expats living in HH.
I do not think that this includes the snowbirds, especially as so many of them were on short term tourist visas.
Even so, this number still feels quite low, especially when I think about all the different areas where expats are concentrated.
There is an article here saying that "according to the Thai Land Department 30% of all land in Hua Hin and Pattaya belong to foreigners"

[Mod edit: no hua hin real estate links please]

Also I wonder how many mainland Chinese have arrived in the last five years or so. They are more difficult to spot but are still a good number.
And how about the Japanese golfing contingent? Are they still here or have they all returned home, as is the case for many Japanese in BKK?

Finally, if there are only 120,00 in all of Thailand, how are they divided up?
Most places only seem to have a handful. Does that mean that there are 100k divided between BKK< Pattaya and CM?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

In 2010 there were 27,357 Westerners living in the northeastern region, 90 percent living with Thai spouses,

They're everywhere!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

All of these stats can be taken with a pinch of salt, especially ones from real estate agents whose job it is to embellish the truth.

Hua Hin has to be tiny in terms of percentages of the total when compared to Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Whatever the official figure for Farangs in Hua Hin. my guess is that 70% are out of the country at the moment. Most of my adult students have returned to their own country during Covid, and don't intend returning until restrictions are eased.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes disregard those claims - as we know it’s not possible for a foreigner to own land in Thailand, so not even 3% let alone 30%.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Unless the term "land" includes condos. Then the number may have some accuracy. The Chinese have been buying up Condos in Bangkok, Pattaya and I would guess Hua Hin heavily for the past few years.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:Yes disregard those claims - as we know it’s not possible for a foreigner to own land in Thailand, so not even 3% let alone 30%.
The linked article says it includes land registered to wives and nominees. The author of the article goes on to dispute the accuracy of the 30% claim by the land department, and suggested that it probably includes condo floor area rather than actual land.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just had a weekend there and it is very quiet - I'd say 70% of the shops in the center are now closed up with for rent/sale signs on them.

The soi 94 area and hinterland seems to be booming with a lot more nightlife-oriented places and restaurants cropping up.

Traffic on Petchkasem was horrendous on Saturday afternoon - 80% Bangkok SUVs, the rest of the time the roads were quiet, especially the further away from the center you get.

We had the whole floor and pool of our hotel (up soi 88) to ourselves and I did not see another farang in the building aside from my mate who lives there permanently.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

I looks like the owners of Plearn Wan chose a good time to shut up shop.
I wonder what is happening at places that are even further out of town.
Venezia was always a disaster but what about Santorini, or god forbid, The Energy?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The whole of the downtown area could effectively turn into one big slum. If everything remains closed due to greedy landlords demanding astronomical rents, there will be no reason for anyone to go there which further depreciates the area. The landlords won't care as they're already rich and don't need the money (hence the refusal to drop prices).

The out of town places won't have the ridiculous rents so will probably try different businesses. More Seven Elevens? :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now the life has been sucked out of the downtown area, the slum status has basically arrived already. However, I dont worry too much yet because I've seen the same happen in many UK towns. We just need to hope the phoenix rising from the ashes doesn't turn out to be a dodo.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:51 pmVenezia was always a disaster but what about Santorini, or god forbid, The Energy?
Venezia always looks closed, even when open.

Santorini has been closed every time I have driven by.
Talk is cheap
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:09 pm Now the life has been sucked out of the downtown area, the slum status has basically arrived already.
Agreed, and it has been like this for ten years already.
Just look at all the closed business on Sra Song Road due to the ridiculous rents.

Some places are doing well though.
I passed an open air restaurant on Petchakesem Road near Market Village that was absolutely rammed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:39 am Some places are doing well though.
I passed an open air restaurant on Petchakesem Road near Market Village that was absolutely rammed.
That restaurant is attracting people by participating in the 50/50 scheme and the scheme that offers 7,000฿ free money. Lets see what happens when those schemes run out. Yes, they've joined the schemes, which showed initiative and is to their credit. They are now benefitting, and I'm amazed more places didn't join. However, the success might be short lived. As is Thai style, several similar businesses are popping up with a much better ambience.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 50/50 scheme?
Do you have a link where I can find out more about this?
Who gets 7,000 baht and why does that make the restaurant so busy?

My thanks in advance.