Thai red tea

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
butch
Rookie
Rookie

Thai red tea

Post by butch »

have you ever heard of thai red tea having any medicinal qualities?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: red tea

Post by HHTel »

Lol. It's red because it's coloured with food colourings. Add milk and it'll turn orange. No matter what the colour, the base is just TEA!
The base of a Thai iced tea is tea, spices, and (surprise, surprise!) food coloring. Thai tea comes out a dark red color when brewed but the addition of milk turns it into bright orange.Jul 7, 2020
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai red tea

Post by handdrummer »

There is a South African red tea called Rooibos (sp?) that has reported medicinal properties.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm There is a South African red tea called Rooibos (sp?) that has reported medicinal properties.
I've been drinking Rooibos for a few months now. It's quite tasty and is available at Tops or online at Lazada. Cost about 220 baht for 24 sachets.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Rooibos is not actually a 'tea' rather a brew using dried leaves from a shrub grown in SA. It is not related to real tea.
However it does appear to have beneficial qualities.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ro ... ITLE_HDR_3
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

All teas have health benefits. Best without milk and sugar inn the case of black tea.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'll stick to gin and tonic. That always makes me feel good......
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I do like that Thai tea, I buy that No. 1 Brand that comes in a red and white tin. You brew the tea and then pour it over ice and add evaporated milk and sweeten with condensed milk.
I find it refreshing after a cycle ride or long walk.
I doubt it has any health benefits beyond black tea but it works as an energy drink.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This one? Seems to have a long history. See link at bottom.

51szgDwTJ5L._AC_SX466_.jpg
51szgDwTJ5L._AC_SX466_.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 577 times

https://www.cha-thai.com/0
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve only tried one Thai tea, can’t remember what brand it was but didn’t like it one bit, but that’s the benefit of choice - I’ll have my Brooke Bond Red Label, Steve can have his Thai Tea Mix!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So Thai tea all comes from the same plant, i.e. black tea. It's then improved by blending and adding various spices.

The ingredients of Thai Tea Mix above is:
strongly-brewed black tea, often spiced with ingredients such as star anise, crushed tamarind, cardamom, and occasionally others as well (often making this beverage a favorite among masala chai tea fans). This brew is then sweetened with sugar and sweetened condensed milk, and served over ice.

The various colours are all down to food colouring:
What makes Thai iced tea so orange? The bright orange color is from the red and yellow food coloring that's in the Thai tea mix.

I think all tea has similar benefits. The key is just to find a blend you like.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:33 pm I'll stick to gin and tonic. That always makes me feel good......
You do know they don't add Quinine to tonic these days don't you..... :wink: :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 pm
HHTel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:33 pm I'll stick to gin and tonic. That always makes me feel good......
You do know they don't add Quinine to tonic these days don't you..... :wink: :D
As long as gin is added :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:01 pm This one? Seems to have a long history. See link at bottom.

51szgDwTJ5L._AC_SX466_.jpg

https://www.cha-thai.com/0
Yes, that's the one, you can get it in the supermarket next to Power-buy. Being away from Thailand for so long, I'd forgotten about the stuff but next time I'm in the Asian shop here, I'll look if they have any.
butch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by butch »

shit.ok. i'am still going to drink it. love the stuff and now that i have found a source here in USA i can dye my inside as red as a beet.