Current Sunday Roast availability

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Re: Current Sunday Roast availability

Post by huahinjim »

thecolonel wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:17 pm
Mikeyb wrote:Le Pub is the best roast around for me
Word on the street is that quality has gone off a bit since Gary left....

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Was there today at Le Pub at 2.30pm (roast pork) and last Sunday (roast chicken).
My opinion - Both very good and didn’t seem any different from the many times I’ve eaten there in the past.
Staff very good and service good.
Of course peoples experiences differ.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Harry's on Soi 6 is doing a Sunday roast chicken dinner for 195 baht.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

huahinjim wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:17 pm
Mikeyb wrote:Le Pub is the best roast around for me
Word on the street is that quality has gone off a bit since Gary left....

Was there today at Le Pub at 2.30pm (roast pork) and last Sunday (roast chicken).
My opinion - Both very good and didn’t seem any different from the many times I’ve eaten there in the past.
Staff very good and service good.
Of course peoples experiences differ.
To be fair I ate there myself yesterday and it was very good, no drop off in standard

HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Just heard that Gary from Le Pub will be taking over Sabai Sabai in soi 102 sometime next month. A new address for Sunday Roast maybe?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still like the Andreanna's Sunday Lunch. Great food, live music and the nice garden setting.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I still like the Andreanna's Sunday Lunch. Great food, live music and the nice garden setting.
Good roast there but you're obviously not bothered about your food being properly hot then.

To be fair, the majority aren't that bothered in my experience. But like you're fussy about sausages I've got OCD about my food being hot.

Andreannas buffet style means luke warm veggies mash etc

Le pub know me well and they get it just right for me.

I'll try the roast at Nits on Sunday, did you see the photos on Facebook someone posted? Looked good

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:08 pm
Big Boy wrote:I still like the Andreanna's Sunday Lunch. Great food, live music and the nice garden setting.
Good roast there but you're obviously not bothered about your food being properly hot then.

To be fair, the majority aren't that bothered in my experience. But like you're fussy about sausages I've got OCD about my food being hot.

I'll try the roast at Nits on Sunday, did you see the photos on Facebook someone posted? Looked good

I have two pet hates when it comes to food - ordered items being served in dribs and drabs, such that you might have “finished” your meal by the time the last item comes along. The second is food that is not hot - I’m definitely not a fan of luke warm food!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:08 pm

I've never had a problem with my food not being hot at Andreannas, but maybe I've been very lucky.

Regarding Nits Sunday Lunch - my son was suggesting it a few days ago. We'll probably try it when the next 'Sunday window' arises. We're regularly very busy at Sunday lunchtime, and settle for a sandwich.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Nit has the same problem that she had in Soi 94 years ago. The Yorkshire puddings are like cakes. I think this is caused by making the batter too thick (it should have the consistency of cream) and/or opening the oven door whilst the puds are cooking.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HarryVardon wrote:Nit has the same problem that she had in Soi 94 years ago. The Yorkshire puddings are like cakes. I think this is caused by making the batter too thick (it should have the consistency of cream) and/or opening the oven door whilst the puds are cooking.
I've not had her roast yet

But I've had proper traditional Yorkshire pudding and they are like a flat cake(designed to fill you up so you need less meat!)

I prefer the more popular aerated 'puffy' versions though

How is her roast otherwise?

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I do remember my mother's Yorkshire Puddings. Made in a large roasting tin and yes they were flat. It was cut into squares. Sometimes to be eaten as a starter with gravy, served with the main meal, and often as a 'pudding' spread with jam or treacle.

The modern individual 'puffy' yorkshires are a relatively new adaptation, but I do prefer them to the 'old style' ones.

Yes, I am a yorkshire man born and bred.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My gran (from Huddersfield) made the best Yorkshire puddings I have ever tasted and she made hers in something like an 8” round flan tin, so largely flat and just came up at the edge, enough to retain plenty of gravy!! And as HHTel says, often eaten on their own before the main course and afterwards with something sweet (Golden Syrup was a favourite). Nowadays it seems to be more about the rise and whilst there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s the batter consistency that’s more important IMO.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Haha. Yes there's another anomaly. We always called Golden Syrup as treacle, which of course it's not.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:Haha. Yes there's another anomaly. We always called Golden Syrup as treacle, which of course it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I wouldn't call Nit's roast fantastic but it's OK. The Yorkshire puddings are too "cakey" for me but I can eat them. For a "normal" price Sunday Roast then Nany's is about the best (along with Bistro 88) although the quality at Le Pub and Rafferty's is better if you are willing to pay more. I am not keen on the buffet style serving at Andreas and I have not tried the roast at restaurant 99 or the two Irish restaurants in town for a few years.