Champions League 2020-21

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Champions League 2020-21

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 pm I would really like to see Manchester City and Chelsea in the final. We'll know later tonight.

If it comes to pass, I would have to pick Manchester City to take the cup.
I think we had our chance last week in Madrid. We should have come back with a win. We didn't.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think City will be favourites who ever they play, and good luck to them. :( :cry:
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Likewise, this from a lifelong Man Utd. Manchester born supporter, however I would like to see them kick some Real Madrid arse. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Seems Man C vs PSG was a fairly bad tempered affair - a sending off for stamping, a little "neck grabbing", not to mention the referee being reported for telling two PSG players to "f**k off" (personally I think he should be rewarded :wink: ).

Seems PSG have a fair few problems of late.....?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 pm
PeteC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 pm I would really like to see Manchester City and Chelsea in the final. We'll know later tonight.

I think we had our chance last week in Madrid. We should have come back with a win. We didn't.
I'm supporting Real Madrid today caller so, don't worry, you'll be fine. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 am
caller wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 pm

I'm supporting Real Madrid today caller so, don't worry, you'll be fine. :D
Indeed - all all English final, although Man City will be favorites, Chelsea can’t be written off - could be an open entertaining game with goals aplenty!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I worry about the venue. Turkey is choking on Covid, and only 3 weeks until the final.

Edit: Two British teams, nothing wrong with holding it locally, in a neutral city..
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 am I worry about the venue. Turkey is choking on Covid, and only 3 weeks until the final.
That’s sufficient time to rearrange the venue, hopefully wisdom will prevail?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Champions League final: Fans should not travel to Turkey, says UK government

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57029583

Chelsea and Manchester City fans should not travel to Turkey for the Champions League final, the UK government has said after adding the country to England's travel red list.

The final is due to take place in Istanbul on 29 May.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps said Covid-19 red list countries "should not be visited except in the most extreme circumstances".

He added that the government was open to hosting the game in the UK.

Uefa had hoped to give both clubs a minimum of 4,000 tickets each for the game at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium.

Schapps said that the Football Association is in talks with Uefa about switching the game, but that it is "ultimately a decision for Uefa".

"The UK has a successful track record of hosting matches with spectators so we are well placed to do it," he said.

"So we are very open to it, but it is actually in the end a decision for Uefa to make. But given it is two English clubs in the final, we look forward to hearing what they have to say."

The BBC understands that the government will look at solutions for whatever circumstances arise around the final, including exploring travel exemptions for players and club staff.

UK citizens returning from red list countries are required to quarantine at a government-approved hotel for 10 days.

A quarantine could potentially have an impact on players involved in Euro 2020, which starts on 11 June.

If the final was to switch to the UK, Wembley Stadium, which is the most obvious venue, is already set to stage the Championship play-off final on 29 May.

It is understood the plan remains to go ahead with the play-off final at Wembley.

However, if asked to move by Uefa, it is understood the EFL would consider it and the board would make the final call.

Chelsea Supporters Trust says it will meet Uefa this week and will request that the final is moved to the UK, while Manchester City fan groups say they will be renewing their calls to move the game from Istanbul.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ridiculous to even consider Istanbul - especially now that the final is between two English clubs. Obviously much to do ahead of time, but surely problems could have been seen with regards to Covid in Turkey and the "possibility" of an all English final?

I guess the F1 must also be in question?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Last night's Premier League result makes the upcoming Champions League match a toss up probably. I wonder what the odds for the final were before the below, and then after?

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 11.40.47.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 11.40.47.png (11.76 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 am Last night's Premier League result makes the upcoming Champions League match a toss up probably. I wonder what the odds for the final were before the below, and then after?

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 11.40.47.png
Clearly, a reverse of the shoreline is more than possible, if not likely.

One things almost certain, if they get a penalty and Aguero is playing, somebody else will take it!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 pm Ridiculous to even consider Istanbul - especially now that the final is between two English clubs. Obviously much to do ahead of time, but surely problems could have been seen with regards to Covid in Turkey and the "possibility" of an all English final?
So, Istanbul is out. Excellent, but obvious, decision. With two English clubs in the final, the equally obvious decision is to move it to the UK. But no, apparently not. Let's all go to Portugal... :? :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57051804
Champions League final: Portugal could host final rather than Wembley

Portugal is a strong candidate to host the Champions League final after Uefa did not gain guarantees of exemptions it wants to move the game to Wembley.

Uefa, UK government officials and the Football Association met on Monday to discuss moving the game between Chelsea and Manchester City from Istanbul.

Uefa has decided it will be moved after Turkey was put on England's red travel list meaning fans cannot travel.

Portugal is on the green list so fans would be allowed to attend on 29 May.

The match could still be played at Wembley but it would require a major shift from the government, who have so far failed to reach an agreement with Uefa.

European football's governing body feels in Portugal it is going to be easier to gain access for sponsors and broadcasters, who would need to be compensated if they were unable to attend the game.
The key sentence, of course, is the last one: "...who would need to be compensated if they were unable to attend the game." It's all about the money. UEFA's money, naturally, not the supporters'. :banghead:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

City and Chelsea fans doing us proud in Portugal. Bet everyone's rubbing there hands at the thought of British tourists arriving again.

Honestly, the British are the worst travellers in the world. Total tossers. Any country you visit, you can guarantee to bump into drunken British louts. I'm surprised folk still let us in. :?

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

European football: Away goals could be scrapped in Uefa's club competitions

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57286931

The away goals rule in European football has moved a step closer to being scrapped after Uefa's club competitions committee decided to abolish it.

The rule, used since 1965, decides drawn two-legged games by favouring the team that scores the most away goals.

Both Juventus and Bayern Munich were knocked out of the 2020-21 Champions League by this method.

The decision will be taken to Uefa's executive committee for approval.

If passed the Champions League, Europa League and the Europa Conference League will no longer use the rule.