Pet hates

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Pet hates

Post by HHTel »

I believe many new cars come with voice commands to operate the infosystems
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:35 pm I believe many new cars come with voice commands to operate the infosystems
Yes, it's a female voice (that I have seen/heard). It is one of my hates, I already have a female voice that always tells me what to do!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:48 pm
HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:35 pm I believe many new cars come with voice commands to operate the infosystems
Yes, it's a female voice (that I have seen/heard). It is one of my hates, I already have a female voice that always tells me what to do!!
So does Pharvey. :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

All joking aside, many of these “robots” are far from foolproof and you may very well not get what you ask for. The latest VW group is an example where there has been almost universal complaint about their latest technology - I’d be surprised in the new models don’t receive a mid-life refresh that reinstates some of the traditional controls the last models had.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yet another pet hate, the rising tone at the end of a sentence, effectively turning a statement into a question. Apparently it's called the high rising terminal...
The high rising terminal (HRT), also known as upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI), is a feature of some variants of English where declarative sentence clauses end with a rising-pitch intonation, until the end of the sentence where a falling-pitch is applied.

Empirically, one report proposes that HRT in American English and Australian English is marked by a high tone (high pitch or high fundamental frequency) beginning on the final accented syllable near the end of the statement (the terminal), and continuing to increase in frequency (up to 40%) to the end of the intonational phrase. New research suggests that the actual rise can occur one or more syllables after the last accented syllable of the phrase, and its range is much more variable than previously thought.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:45 pm Yet another pet hate, the rising tone at the end of a sentence, effectively turning a statement into a question. Apparently it's called the high rising terminal...
The high rising terminal (HRT), also known as upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI), is a feature of some variants of English where declarative sentence clauses end with a rising-pitch intonation, until the end of the sentence where a falling-pitch is applied.

Empirically, one report proposes that HRT in American English and Australian English is marked by a high tone (high pitch or high fundamental frequency) beginning on the final accented syllable near the end of the statement (the terminal), and continuing to increase in frequency (up to 40%) to the end of the intonational phrase. New research suggests that the actual rise can occur one or more syllables after the last accented syllable of the phrase, and its range is much more variable than previously thought.
Definitely near the top of my list and I blame the Aussies for this one and Neighbours in particular. Had some fun with that one in the 90's with uni students, my responce "I'm sorry are you asking me a question?" :banghead:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

The rising tone complaint reminded me of my pet hate, I have to cover my ears and shout lalalala. The national anthem at sporting events when the (usually) soprano sings the last word in a high note
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:37 pm The rising tone complaint reminded me of my pet hate, I have to cover my ears and shout lalalala. The national anthem at sporting events when the (usually) soprano sings the last word in a high note
Yes, and the overdone versions of the US national anthem when it's jazzed up (or down) and sung as if it were Amazing Grace. It's a decent tune, don't mess with it!
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:51 pm I already have a female voice that always tells me what to do!!
So does Pharvey. :laugh:
[/quote]

Indeed...... :roll: :(
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

On the subject of car technology, we test drove a Tesla S a while back. The performance I loved, but all touchscreen, cameras and the terrifying idea of hands-free driving - something that I was certainly not going to try!!

Christ, I remember my old man saying there was no way he'd have electric windows in a car as it was just one more thing that was bound to go wrong......
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:07 pm
arcadianagain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:37 pm The rising tone complaint reminded me of my pet hate, I have to cover my ears and shout lalalala. The national anthem at sporting events when the (usually) soprano sings the last word in a high note
Yes, and the overdone versions of the US national anthem when it's jazzed up (or down) and sung as if it were Amazing Grace. It's a decent tune, don't mess with it!

Best ever!! :duck:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Alternatively... :laugh: :laugh:

This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yeees, but that lady (Britt Johnson?) has also gone onto my pet hate list.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 am Yeees, but that lady (Britt Johnson?) has also gone onto my pet hate list.
Christ - I couldn't get as far as the Anthems......