Natural Disaster Thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Re: Natural Disaster Thread

Post by PeteC »

Hawaii's Mauna Loa, the world's largest active volcano, erupting for first time in almost 40 years

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mauna-loa- ... waii-2022/

Numerous sources of video and story. Just search: Moana Loa Eruption.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Is it just me, or has there been an excessive amount of "Tectonic Activity" recently?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:17 am Is it just me, or has there been an excessive amount of "Tectonic Activity" recently?
Nature is pissed off. I would be. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Earthquakes in Turkey - Thousands Dead :(

Turkey Earthquake: The Eyewitnesses Who Captured the Quake on Social Media

"The sheer scale of the devastation of the earthquake and its aftershocks can be seen in social media photos and videos posted by people in Turkey and Syria. Eyewitnesses have also been speaking about what happened. BBC News has been pulling together and verifying information.

The tremors of the main quake - which happened at 04:17 local time - were felt more than a hundred miles in each direction from the epicentre - across southern Turkey and in northern Syria.

Witnesses described being shaken from their sleep and running to their cars for safety from the damaged buildings.

"I have never felt anything like it in the 40 years I've lived," said Erdem, living in the city of Gaziantep. "We were shaken at least three times very strongly, like a baby in a crib."

BBC News has been piecing together what happened as the tremors struck and reverberated across Turkey and Syria - using personal testimony and social media posts which we have verified."

More details, videos, photos, maps @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64541194
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Tragic I lived in Rhodes for 3 years which is close to Turkey. We regularly had small earthquakes but not as powerful as these. k
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, the confirmed "Death Toll" has passed 7,200 and looking at and reading reports, it looks certain to go significantly past 10,000 - devastating.

I worked in the area of Gaziantep and Adana some years back for quite some time over several visits and still have a number of friends there - loved my time there, so I must admit this one certainly grabs my attention..... Unfortunately all for the wrong reasons this time :(
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Earthquake death toll in Türkiye and Syria rises to more than 19,000 as search for survivors continues

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-09/ ... /101954670

The death toll has risen to more than 19,000 after Monday's earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria as hopes start to fade of finding survivors from beneath the rubble of collapsed buildings.

Emergency crews working through the night in the city of Antakya were able to pull a young girl from the ruins of a building and also rescued her father two hours later on Thursday, news agency IHA reported.

Rescue crews told the man his daughter was alive and they were taking him to the same field hospital for treatment.

"I love you all," he faintly whispered to the rescue team.

In Diyarbakir, east of Antakya, rescuers freed an injured woman from a collapsed building in the early morning but found the three people next to her in the rubble dead, the DHA news agency reported.

Turkish authorities said on Thursday that the death toll had risen to more than 16,100 in Türkiye, with above than 64,000 injured.

On the Syrian side, which includes government-held and rebel-held areas, more than 3,100 have been reported dead and more than 5,000 injured.

Tens of thousands are thought to have lost their homes.

In Antakya, former residents of a collapsed building huddled around an outdoor fire overnight into Thursday, wrapping blankets tightly around themselves to try and stay warm.

Serap Arslan said many people remained under the rubble of the nearby building, including her mother and brother.

She said machinery only started to move some of the heavy concrete on Wednesday.

"We tried to clear the debris on our own, but unfortunately our efforts have been insufficient," she said.

Selen Ekimen wiped tears from her face with gloved hands as she explained that both her parents and brother were still buried.

"There's been no sound from them for days," she said. "Nothing."

First 72 hours 'critical'

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was scheduled to travel to the quake-hit provinces of Gaziantep, Osmaniye and Kilis on Thursday amid ongoing criticism that the government's response had been too slow.

Experts say the survival window for those trapped under the rubble or otherwise unable to obtain basic necessities was closing rapidly, but it is too soon to abandon hope.

"The first 72 hours are considered to be critical," Nottingham Trent University natural hazards expert Steven Godby said.

"The survival ratio on average within 24 hours is 74 per cent, after 72 hours it is 22 per cent and by the fifth day it is 6 per cent."

According to the disaster management agency, more than 110,000 rescue personnel were now taking part in the effort and more than 5,500 vehicles, including tractors, cranes, bulldozers and excavators had been shipped.

The task is monumental, however, with thousands of buildings toppled by the earthquake.

Mr Erdoğan, who is up for re-election in May, acknowledged problems with the emergency response to Monday's magnitude-7.8 quake, but said the winter weather had been a factor.

The earthquake also destroyed the runway at Hatay's airport, further disrupting the response.

Teams from more than two dozen countries have joined the local emergency personnel in the effort.

In Syria, aid efforts have been hampered by the ongoing war and the isolation of the rebel-held region along the border, which is surrounded by Russia-backed government forces.

The earthquake's toll has already outstripped that of a magnitude-7.8 quake in Nepal in 2015, when 8,800 died.

A 2011 earthquake in Japan triggered a tsunami, killing nearly 20,000 people.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

No words really - it's just horrific. Sadly, there's no doubt that the death toll will rise considerably :(
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Death Toll now above 32,000 and agencies expecting this figure to double. NOT GOOD!!

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:51 am Death Toll now above 32,000 and agencies expecting this figure to double. Image NOT GOOD!!

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
Well, 48,000 plus confirmed dead and the count not yet finished...

And now this.... Jesus!

"Three people have died after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck southern Turkey on Monday, weeks after a deadly quake devastated the region.

More than 680 people have been injured in Turkey and Syria.

Turkey's disaster and emergency agency Afad said the tremor occurred at 20:04 local time (17:04 GMT), followed by dozens of aftershocks.

A 7.8-magnitude quake struck the same area on 6 February, killing more than 44,000 people in Turkey and Syria.

Those killed by Monday's tremor were found in Antakya, Defne, and Samandagi, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said, urging people not to enter potentially dangerous buildings.

Mr Soylu said 213 people had been injured in Turkey.

Witnesses told the Reuters news agency there had been further damage to buildings in Antakya, while the mayor of Hatay, in southern Turkey, said people were trapped under rubble.

"I thought the earth was going to split open under my feet," Muna al-Omar, a local resident, told Reuters, crying as she held her seven-year-old son. She was in a tent in a park in central Antakya when the latest earthquake hit, she said.

Turkish authorities have recorded more than 6,000 aftershocks since the 6 February earthquake, but the BBC's team in the region said the latest tremor felt much stronger than previous ones."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64711228
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not quite a disaster but unusually closer to home, Pharvey:
'The whole house shook' - Earthquake felt in South Wales just before midnight

Google's Android Earthquake Alerts System said it was 4.2 magnitude.

"I'm in Rhymney and felt the house shake, looked online to see if anyone else did.. and it was an earthquake in South Wales. I think I need a change of trousers,"
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/th ... 4606191bc9
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not all that far from Chez Pharvey. Did the earth move for you, Pietro?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:53 pm Not all that far from Chez Pharvey. Did the earth move for you, Pietro?
Not that I noticed DM - but then again, it hasn't for a while!! :roll: :oops:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

broken wand.jpg
(194.07 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Kinda related ... Sushi anyone?

Japan releases water from Fukushima nuclear plant, China furious

Japan began releasing wastewater from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean on Thursday, prompting a furious China to ban all seafood imports from its neighbour.

The start of the discharge of around 540 Olympic swimming pools' worth of water over several decades is a big step in decommissioning the still highly dangerous site 12 years after one of the world's worst nuclear accidents.

Live video provided by plant operator TEPCO showed two engineers clicking on computer mouses and an official saying -- after a countdown -- that the "valves near the seawater transport pumps are opening".

Japan has repeatedly insisted the wastewater will be harmless, with its position backed by United Nations (UN) atomic watchdog the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

But China has warned it will contaminate the ocean, and immediately responded Thursday by blasting Japan as "extremely selfish".

China then banned all Japanese seafood imports "to comprehensively prevent the food safety risks of radioactive contamination".

Local fisherman in Japan have also voiced opposition to the release.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/26347 ... na-furious
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson