Dual-pricing in Thai Hospitals

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Dual-pricing in Thai Hospitals

Post by handdrummer »

The entrance fees are a pittance compared to the hospital fees.
Blood test for kidney disease at Bangkok Hospital, Hua Hin: 4000 BHT. At a local blood test center: 1400 BHT. At Govt. hospital 1240 BHT. 20-30 wait at Bangkok Hospital, 1-2 hr. wait at Govt. hospital, 5 min. wait at local blood test center. Excellent test procedure at Bangkok Hospital & local center, horrible procedure at Govt. hospital. You pays yer money and you takes yer cherce.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the 'farang tax'?

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:58 am
Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 pm I read a very long thread about Richard's dual-pricing cause on an Expat Facebook Page yesterday. It was quite incredible, but I'd say 95% were supporting dual-pricing. Of course, this is only to have been expected in the current crazy mixed up world where everybody wants to disagree with anything sensible that has been said.
The Facebook generation has been brainwashed to disagree with everything they would normally agree with and argue just for the sake of it. :banghead:

The hospitals are different IMO, since you can get the Thai price at the Thai hospital, of course, private ones will charge ten times more - its all a choice.

National parks with the 10x charge get boycotted, as do attractions. Though I have got into a couple recently for the Thai price using the pink ID card - all depends on how much of a power trip the trumped-up attendant wants to have on the day.
The "Thai price at the Thai Hospital" is 30 BHT a visit. That's not what foreigners pay.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Afaik, to get the 30 baht charge, you have to be registered locally.
If you're registered in BKK then you can't claim 30 baht in Hua Hin Hospital and vice versa.
That's how it used to be, unless it's changed.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, farangs working here and paying national insurance would get the 30 baht hospital rate - unlike national parks where work permits are largely ignored these days and you still have to stump up 10x. Again, hospitals in tourist towns will charge what they like - those in normal places have similar rates for everyone.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 pm Afaik, to get the 30 baht charge, you have to be registered locally.
If you're registered in BKK then you can't claim 30 baht in Hua Hin Hospital and vice versa.
That's how it used to be, unless it's changed.
My youngest Granddaughter has spent sometime in a Bangkok Hospital recently, and is still having follow-up visits, Because she was referred by Hua Hin Hospital, her medical care has been free. I paid for a private room to enable her mum to stay with her - of course, that was full charge i.e. same as anybody else, Thai or Farang.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good result, BB. I know that kids are exempt from the 30 baht charge. Not sure to what age.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

She's a few days under the age of 16. Yes, an excellent result. The unfortunate thing is they have to get a referral letter from Hua Hin Hospital everytime they have a follow-up appointment in Bangkok.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:Yep, farangs working here and paying national insurance would get the 30 baht hospital rate - unlike national parks where work permits are largely ignored these days and you still have to stump up 10x. Again, hospitals in tourist towns will charge what they like - those in normal places have similar rates for everyone.
Nope. In this case they would be in the social security (national insurance) system, not the 30 baht gold card system and would be covered by that if using their nominated hospital. The 30 baht rate wouldn't apply, although other charges would if outside the listed treatments and medicines (this also applies to Thai citizens using the universal 30 baht gold card system).

When on occasion I used outpatient service at a hospital in Bangkok that accepted patients under both schemes there were actually 3 queues: paying cash, social security, 30 baht. This may no longer apply.

Also, I'm sure you remember the fuss last year when government hospitals issued comprehensive price lists wherein the Thai and farang prices are specified for all treatments and medicines. The farang prices apply whether or not you have a pink card, yellow tabien baan or blue tabien baan.

I have PR and used to get the Thai price at HHH but with some service charges. Now, the service charges are still there, but the prices for treatment and medicines are higher also.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the clarification, looks like things have changed a lot since the last time I went to a hospital. If those with PR are getting fleeced with dual pricing what hope is there for the rest of us.

As said before, its all state endorsed and encouraged, which is why it is only going to get worse with the junta cementing power for decades to come. Whats next? Cinemas, retail stores, utility bills, tech, gas stations, supermarkets?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Medical costs, perhaps this should have a topic on it's own? In my experience, I had always used my company medical insurance over the mandatory social welfare medical contribution, which I believe is capped at 1,000 baht per month and deducted from your pay.
When I had to leave the company, the social welfare department gave me a refund on all my contributions, which amounted to quite a lot (yes I was surprised) and they gave me the option to continue with no time limit at the minimum sum of 440 baht per month as a personal account. This is only possible if you are already contributing and has to be done within a 6 month window of leaving your company. I did, and now pay 440 baht per month.
They assign you to a hospital of your choice from their list, so you can't go anywhere else or you will pay full price.
Everything I get done at the assigned hospital is covered under that 440 baht.
I get medical treatment which has been far in excess of my monthly contributions so for that I am thankful.
BTW, I am also PR, but that has nothing to do with the system.

As for the 30 baht system, I believe you have to register at the hospital, and that becomes your assigned hospital. You will be charged the full price if you don't go there, Thai or farang. A case in point. Last week, the son of a Thai friend upcountry had to bring a neighbour's daughter to a small provincial hospital with suspected appendicitis. They did not have the facilities to do it, and told them to go to the hospital the child was registered at. So, though they were much closer to the big hospital at Chonburi, he had to drive to Chachengsao where the child was registered. The procedure was done, and the child is safe.
Price difference, Chonburi 10,000 baht, Chachensao 30 baht.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If the hospital had referred your neighbour;s daughter, it would have been free (maybe 30 Baht) as with my granddaughter. I've also known a Farang friend referred to Petcharat Hospital from Cha-Am the same way, but that was about 5 years ago..

Points 51; Position 21
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The girl was visiting someone so the hospital she was brought to was not her assigned hospital. She can only be referred somewhere if she is at her assigned hospital. Only that hospital has the authority to do so. Yes, it may sound silly in an emergency, but that is the system.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, fair enough - I missed that bit.

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

we already have ID cards, they're called passports and they have visa stamps in them.
What about dual pricing at hospitals?
Bangkok hospital wanted to charge me 4000 bht. for a blood test that I can get for 1200 bht. at a private lab.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Simple answer to that one: vote with your feet and don't use Bangkok Hospital :idea: