Returning Expats & Dependents

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PeteC

Returning Expats & Dependents

Post by PeteC »

Anyone in this category who successfully returns please post the story/details of what you went through in quarantine and with other requirements. :cheers:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... allowed-in

...."Foreigners who have family in Thailand, and those who have homes in the kingdom, will also be allowed to return, according to the spokesman.".....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Returning Expats

Post by PeteC »

I'm starting this thread in anticipation of some stories and accounts from those with families here finally beginning to return. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Returning Expats

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm I'm starting this thread in anticipation of some stories and accounts from those with families here finally beginning to return. :cheers:
Some of their comments may not be suitable for posting! :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I will ship off my documents to the embassy today requesting a certificate of entry. I have all the documents they are requesting so we will see!

One requirement is a confirmed airline ticket which I have. First I found was Aug 14.

The government spoke of returning expats in one section, and travel bubbles in another when mentioning tourists.
The US is definitely not going into anyone's travel bubble soon (except maybe Brazil) so we will see if they get tied together or not!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

All posts pertaining to flying into Thailand have been moved to the "Flying into Thailand, latest updates" thread.

This thread is for people to comment on their experiences during their actual journey, and once back in Thailand.
:cheers:
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

As I am due to get off a ship in Australia I contacted the Canberra Thai Embassy in regard to returning to Thailand. I received the following response:
"Unfortunately, we still are not able to approve the retirement visa. In case of having a residency in Thailand, we still haven't received any practice confirmation. Details on the applicant's conditions and procedures will be announced shortly. We encourage you to keep on posted on our website/Facebook for further announcements/updates. Thank you."
At least I got a response whereas nothing from the UK Embassy.
Looking more like I will have to go to UK and wait for the system to catch up with the press releases.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by migrant »

OK in case there is interest I will continue to let you know how my return is going.

I received the permission from the embassy so contacted JAL for the repatriation flight July 26. Had to upload permission and, after a little back and forth booked a seat

Economy 1,000 usd
Premium economy 1,800 usd
Business 2,500 usd

Can not use mileage points

They confirmed but said I had to contact them within 24 hours to pay and all they had was Thai phone numbers.
I called the number and the phone tree put me through to a english speaking lady. She said she was in Hong Kong and that I needed to speak with Bangkok even though this was the number given me. She tried calling BKK but all lines busy. She said she would ask them to call me in the US (Sure they will). I called my wife in HH and asked her to call. She sent a few messages saying no answer. I was getting worried since time was running out. Then, miracle of miracles a call from a Thai number! They actually called me back. While she was looking up my ticket I messaged my wife I am on line with them, and she said she was too. She hung up and the lady I was dealing with took payment and then I was booked and had an e ticket.

Next ASQ hotel. I had emailed 7 of the 20 to ask if they had a room that I could smoke my cigars in, balcony I hoped. Only one emailed back. It was probably my last choice so I ended up calling the others. First 5 were fully booked!! 6th one, Amara Bangkok had one for 62,000 and only a couple vacancies. Price was higher than I wanted but considering all the fully booked hotels I grabbed it. A quick confirm by email with 2 links, one 40,000 payment to hotel, one 22,000 payment to hospital. The payment process was all screwed up but after 1.5 hours managed to get them paid and confirmation of such.

So only covid test and fit to fly 72 hours prior to go barring a screwup somewhere!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok Migrant, you're the first to advance to this thread :clap:

Please continue on here as your return story develops. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What was the 22,000 baht to a hospital for. Please don't tell me it's just for a Covid test? :shock:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I would guess that is for daily tests. Tests are probably done every day while in quarantine.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:37 am What was the 22,000 baht to a hospital for. Please don't tell me it's just for a Covid test? :shock:
Yes for checks during my time incarcerated, I mean in quarantine
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

OK to continue on. Yesterday got an email from the embassy asking me to upload my flight confirmation and ASQ hotel confirm with proof of payment for both. The link they sent took me to my original application and all the info I had put in, and uploaded, was there with new places to upload the requested info. After I completed the new uploads and closed out I got an email thanking me and saying they would get back to me in 7-15 days. WTF my flight leaves in 10 days!

I was concerned with this plus getting my covid test results within the 72 hour period. I was instructed to upload the results. The 72 hour period starts July 23 at 13:30 so my concern is getting the results back, uploading to the embassy, and getting my CoE back (over the weekend) for my Sunday flight!

Well today I received my CoE so all I need to do is get the covid results, and fit to fly and present at the airport so pressure off, should all be good!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Holy moly ... think I'd rather stay in Vegas!

Anyone would think you're planning a manned mission to Mars.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Yeah lot of hoops to jump through but hopefully on the downhill side now
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Migrant,,,I hope after all that you manage to fly to Thailand with no further complications and your accommodation is comfortable.

Best of Luck,,,,,GN 8)