British Education System

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai education system

Post by HHTel »

I chose typing simply because the other 2 sounded like hard work, but it was probably the most useful thing I did at school.
I learned to type in the RN as it was part of my job. At 70+ words a minute I was easily qualified as a secretary, but my legs let me down!!!

I do remember a comment from a computer operator who saw me typing on the mainframe consul. "I'm obviously a better typist than you are. You seem to need all your fingers when I can do it with just two!!"
A great put-down and deflated my ego.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am This does not seem that different to the school system in the UK. We had to qualify for the school we moved to at age 11, and at age 14 we had to make choices based on chosen career path. At my school I think we had a technical stream, a commercial stream and a scientific stream. OK, we stayed at the same school, but our classmates changed considerably. If we didn't achieve the desired academic results at age 14, we were put where there was space, irrespective of our chosen career path.
That's very different to my experience. I assume you meant the 11+ at age 11? That had gone by the time I went to secondary school. My sister took it and failed, but became a teacher despite that and is still teaching now, after having retired so many times. She just can't leave it alone! When I was that age you were only tested if you were seeking entry to a grammar school. That wasn't for me, they only played rugby!

But based on our last year at primary school and an interview at the school applied for, we were graded accordingly and then placed in a class at the appropriate level. This was unique to my school locally, as it didn't really operate a comprehensive system until the start of your 3rd year. And then at age 14 (I think?), where I was, it was just about choosing which subjects you were looking to take your O Levels in, or CSE if useless. I was useless at maths and the sciences, so didn't bother about them. I had no interest anyway.

I had no idea, having taken my O's, whether I was going to stay on or leave. But it turned out that decision was taken out of my hands. I still had no idea what I wanted to do when I finally left.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No I was also too young for the 11+, but Plymouth was late into the Comprehensive system also. We were graded on a combination of coursework, and a few exams. Based upon our results, we were given a list of schools that we could apply for.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:19 pm Plymouth was late into the Comprehensive system also.
Lucky Plymouth!
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I thought the 11+ was compulsory or maybe I just did as I was told. I passed my 11+ and went to Hull Grammar. All of my mates without exception failed and went on to secondary modern. The downside was that you had to commit to 5 years at grammar (well your folks did) which put you at 16, one year beyond the legal school leaving age. So come 15, I still had a year to go and all my mates were getting jobs and wages. My paper round money wasn't enough to remain in the gang and consequently I became an outcast. My last year at school was not a happy one.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Topic: Thai education system: Last points O levels, Plymouth, Hull. Can someone point those two on the map of Thailand, please. :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Point taken BG but a simple :offtopic: would have been suffice.

Incidentally, one of those points came from a moderator!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Coming from an American school system, it's different in each state, the English (British?) system looks complex and stifling. All those exams at an early age seems to limit one's choices. Some children are late developers and would be shunted aside in the English system. Others respond differently to different teachers. I was terrible at math, I didn't understand anything about it and was forced take algebra in high school (9th grade). The teacher was dull and boring and I failed. I went to summer school to make up the grade. The teacher was lively, explained everything clearly and I received an A. Algebra 2. Same type as first teacher. Another failure. I didn't go to University until I was 36. Again I had to take algebra. I had a brilliant teacher who could explain the concepts many different ways so everyone could understand them. Again, I got an A. Under the English system, I probably wouldn't have been able to go the a university. Maybe I misunderstand what the English system is like? Please feel free to correct me. I haven't even begun to talk about different ways people learn, most teachers don't take that into account and teaching becomes one size fits all.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:39 pm Coming from an American school system, it's different in each state, the English (British?) system looks complex and stifling. All those exams at an early age seems to limit one's choices.
What English system are you talking about? The 11+ was scrapped eons ago and the first exam I took other than the usual school tests were my mock O levels at age 14 I believe? I cant remember. They were known as 'mocks' as they were designed to prepare you for the real thing. A sort of practice run.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

British Education System

Post by HHTel »

Oh, caller, you are not up to date with the UK system. My first exam was the 11 plus to get to grammar school, then GCE's. However, it's very different now.

The corriculum now, and has been for many years, consists of Key Stages 1 to 4. There are assessments for Key Stage 1 with more formal tests for the other stages. There are SAT exams in year 2 and at the end of Key Stage 2 taken at 10/11 years old. GCE's follow.

It's all here:
https://www.pointtopointeducation.com/b ... explained/
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Good grief!
Talk is cheap
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: British Education System

Post by centermid7 »

I think I'll just sit back and watch'em beat this dead horse . . . .
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

But what about the 11 plus examinations for selection to Grammar Schools - that still exists - doesn’t it?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought I was older than you Dannie - they'd been abolished long before I was 11.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure there is still an “11 Plus type” of exam for selection into Grammar schools - let me check