Thai education system

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai education system

Post by handdrummer »

None of the teachers seen in the video tried to stop Ornuma.

What were they afraid of?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Covid exposing weakness, inequality of Thai education: World Bank
A new World Bank report links declining student performances in reading and stagnation in maths and science scores to inequality and inefficiency of investment across Thai schools.

School closures due to the Covid-19 pandemic may accelerate these trends, warns the report released on Wednesday (December 9). The report also comes amid a Thai student rebellion demanding urgent education reform.

The 2018 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) evaluates skills and knowledge of 15-year-olds in reading, maths and science, and collects information on students’ attitudes, home background, learning experience, and school contexts.

Thailand has participated in the PISA assessment since 2000. Of the 79 participating countries, Thailand ranks 68th in reading, 59th in mathematics and 55th in science, ahead of only Indonesia and the Philippines in the East Asia and Pacific region.

Around 60 per cent of Thai students failed to meet the minimum proficiency level in reading, while 53 per cent were below minimum proficiency in maths, and 44 per cent in science.

Students in Thailand also reported higher levels of school absenteeism and a weaker sense of belonging at school compared to regional averages.

https://www.nationthailand.com/edandtech/30399366

Hardly surprising given the number of holidays they have - Thai schools are closed for at least 40% of the year. :shock: Doubt it has anything to do with Covid.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Those figures hold only for public schools. Private schools provide a decent education.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 pm Those figures hold only for public schools. Private schools provide a decent education.
I think you may find some disagreement here on that statement. Some, sure, all????
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:58 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 pm Those figures hold only for public schools. Private schools provide a decent education.
I think you may find some disagreement here on that statement. Some, sure, all????
Well no, not all. I only know about the ones my wife's family and friends are connected to and there aren't enough of them to raise the national average.

My only point was that there are schools that educate students and students who are educated and successful.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not necessarily. Most private schools have to follow the Thai curriculum to some extent - else they don't get their license renewed.

Only the fully international schools will provide a western standard education, but at over a million baht a year, only the elite can afford them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The curriculum, to a degree, but from what I've seen during my teaching days, it's the methodology used. The majority of Thai teachers' main objective is more about power than actual teaching. They use rote as opposed to 'student centred learning' and bullying is generally accepted, including corporal punishment (which has been banned in Thailand for well over 20 years). Students will sit quietly and listen but not allowed to speak.

Many parents view school as a babysitting service and actually condone the physical punishment handed out. It's the parents that could play a big part in changing the system, but they won't.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dead End Education: Thailand’s best are leaving to avoid broken education system
When Tienwadee “Dew” Tungkaplin embarked to study overseas she was hit with the clear idea that nothing could stop her. Moving abroad would enable her to experience countless opportunities, she thought. And she would finally be able to properly live out her creativity.

“I felt that I could go further in life,” Dew told Thai Enquirer about the moment she left to continue her high school education in Wales. “The longer I stayed in Thai schools, the more problems I saw. Thailand’s institutions just won’t take any action to improve the educational system.”

Before moving to Wales, she spent the last 15 years inside Thailand’s educational system where she failed to thrive emotionally and intellectually. But since moving to Wales, the 17-year-old explained that everything has changed.

“The student body here is very strong, which makes a strong school. The school focuses on students’ mental health and treats everyone equally,” Dew said.

Since Thailand’s military junta seized power and rewrote the constitution in 2014, propaganda has increasingly permeated its schools. Today, the military government has tightened its control on the educational system and many education system reformers feel the school culture forces young thinkers to obey the military.

Full Story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/38432/dead ... on-system/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not sure whether the Junta has made the education system much worse than it’s always been - students have never been encouraged to question the system.

It will take a complete revolution in the education system and that doesn’t look likely to happen - if I’m still around in 20 years time, the same debate will likely be continuing!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As long as the Confucian system of obedience and memorization continues, nothing will change.

A couple of years ago I was asked to teach a class on world rhythms to a class of senior music students at an univ. in Bangkok. After 2 hrs. of lecture and demonstration, I asked if there were any questions and no one asked anything. I talked to the professor who hired me and mentioned that I thought it was strange that no one asked any questions. He said, students never ask the teachers questions, they accept whatever they're told. I asked, what if they don't understand something? He replied they understood enough. I declined the next offer to lecture. What would be the point?
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Some time ago an Australian professor was giving a lecture to students in Phetchaburi Rajhabat.
Not long into his lecture he was asked if he would speak a little slower!

The Prof. folded his notes and bid the audience farewell :D .
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 am I’m not sure whether the Junta has made the education system much worse than it’s always been - students have never been encouraged to question the system.

It will take a complete revolution in the education system and that doesn’t look likely to happen - if I’m still around in 20 years time, the same debate will likely be continuing!!
No restrictive regime will educate the young to a point where they are smart enough to realise that the situation is so ridiculous and overthrow them with something better. The problem is in high school here in Thailand, 6 years of brainwashing nonsense.
If anything, it's got worse over the last 8-9 years, than better... also, they have done their best to get rid of as many foreigners as possible, including teachers.
The patronage system/Amart here has a good gig going on, but it won't ultimately last, because the kids won't stand for it eventually when the dinosaurs are eventually gone.
However, I think they see the writing is on the wall and thus have redoubled their efforts to tighten their grip on everything... especially the so-called 12 families.
Most Thais are so brainwashed that they are scared to even take off their masks, even though everyone will soon again have the choice to wear or not in "Blue zones".
Education policy is also about placating those government workers that reside in the education sector, as they are known for moaning about things that threaten change or their "good gig".
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Welcome back Spitfire! Been a while. :D

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Lost wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:08 pm Welcome back Spitfire! Been a while. :D
Yes, indeed it has. However, responsible posting only for me now these days as the times of Mr. Plum/SuperJoe/Norseman/DM et al recklessly shooting from the hip is probably done now... ha ha.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The proposal to cancel the mask mandate is only a proposal and needs the CCSA to approve it at their next meeting.
It was proposed to cancel the Thailand Pass but the proposal was modified by Anutan for cancellation for Thais only. It seems that the CCSA listened to him.
Until the CCSA say so, then masks are still mandated.

Regarding education and the current government 'edicts', only the students can change that. It's happened the world over where students have their say and eventually listened to.