Covid questions for the forum

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Covid questions for the forum

Post by dtaai-maai »

I didn't want to bury this within one of the existing Covid threads.

With the UK's virus-related death toll approaching 40,000 or 50,000, depending on which figures you rely on, and Thailand's at 57, I have a few questions for forum members.

1. How accurate are the figures in Thailand?
2. Assuming the Thai figures are in the right ball park (let's say under 1,000 for the sake of argument), do you think this is due to the government's stringent measures or to some other factor?
3. Is the Thai government taking advantage of the situation to tighten control over the general population? If so, to what end?
4. Is there still a need for any form of lockdown in Thailand? (Frankly, I don't think any 'western' country would be doing anything other than restricting travel overseas if their numbers were so low.)

I have many more questions, but let's leave it there for now.
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: Covid questions for the forum

Post by Big Boy »

I'll give you my personal opinion (in red below)
dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:42 pm I didn't want to bury this within one of the existing Covid threads.

With the UK's virus-related death toll approaching 40,000 or 50,000, depending on which figures you rely on, and Thailand's at 57, I have a few questions for forum members.

1. How accurate are the figures in Thailand? I believe them, but of course, there hasn't been a lot of testing. I still don't know of one person via a huge extended family who knows anybody who has been infected.
2. Assuming the Thai figures are in the right ball park (let's say under 1,000 for the sake of argument), do you think this is due to the government's stringent measures or to some other factor? I think it has been a game of 2 halves. 1st half we were the luckiest nation ever, still encouraging Chinese tourism when the disease was at it's peak in China. Thankfully, the Chinese did the decent thing and closed their own borders. Latterly, the complete lockdown of Thailand's borders, and a very effective track and trace team has seen us play a blinder of a second half.
3. Is the Thai government taking advantage of the situation to tighten control over the general population? If so, to what end? I think certain people enjoy absolute power, but I really don't see where they are going with it. I'm not sure there is an end game other than the power game.
4. Is there still a need for any form of lockdown in Thailand? (Frankly, I don't think any 'western' country would be doing anything other than restricting travel overseas if their numbers were so low.) Personally, I don't think there is. My biggest fear is when the borders are opened again. Some very strict controls will be necessary until they find a vaccine.

I have many more questions, but let's leave it there for now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Agree entirely, BB.
As long as borders remain closed and all returnees are quarantined, I see no reason for any lockdown. People should be allowed to get back to work. Those that rely on the tourism sector will find that more difficult of course.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

The big test will be when they open the land borders imo
Laos 19 cases 0 deaths
Cambodia 126 cases 0 deaths
Myanmar 224 cases 6 deaths

I would say these figures are "slightly suspect"
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The big test will be when they open the land borders imo
The writing's on the wall regarding that. The Malaysia border was opened in mid April. One checkpoint was closed only 2 days later after immigration staff were tested positive.

More recently:
The Songkhla governor on Wednesday ordered the closure of the Padang Besar border checkpoint in Sadao district after the government reported six of nine new coronavirus patients had returned home via this checkpoint.

Governor Charuwat Kliengklao signed the order, saying the checkpoint will be closed from today for sterilisation.

The order did not say how long the checkpoint will remain closed. However, it said Thais south of the border who want to return home can enter via the Sadao border checkpoint in the district from Sunday instead.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ses-logged
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thailand got very, very lucky. Must be something in the air.

I don't believe the figures as they only relate to those tested and admitted to hospital. Testing has been so low here that there are bound to have been other cases, but at the same time, I don't believe there has been a major outbreak of the virus here.

The PUI's have been there from day one and will include those 'other cases' and I guess (being the operative word) most who may have had the virus, fully recovered and never made it to the stats. I am willing to bet the Government are working to other figures which would the explain the severity of the lockdown as well as the fact they were never fully prepared for a first wave, yet alone a 2nd one.

I agree about the land border issue and also took note of several Doctors who expressed concern that the North of Thailand, in particular, have neither the expertise or resources to deal with this matter and I am sure that cases are not being properly recorded from such areas.
Talk is cheap
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Re Question 4
this was reported friday , saturday and again today
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/europe/ ... s-22111903

maybe there is some light...

[Mod Edit] Link updated to remove confusion
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bigston wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:14 pm Re Question 4
this was reported friday , saturday and again today
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/europe/ ... s-22111903

maybe there is some light...
Which article are you referring to please?

Points 51; Position 21
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thailand to re open to tourists
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So speculated about, not reported with any certainty. We've been suffering from speculation/fake news for many months.

Points 51; Position 21
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

caller wrote:Thailand got very, very lucky. Must be something in the air.

I don't believe the figures as they only relate to those tested and admitted to hospital. Testing has been so low here that there are bound to have been other cases, but at the same time, I don't believe there has been a major outbreak of the virus here.

The PUI's have been there from day one and will include those 'other cases' and I guess (being the operative word) most who may have had the virus, fully recovered and never made it to the stats. I am willing to bet the Government are working to other figures which would the explain the severity of the lockdown as well as the fact they were never fully prepared for a first wave, yet alone a 2nd one.

I agree about the land border issue and also took note of several Doctors who expressed concern that the North of Thailand, in particular, have neither the expertise or resources to deal with this matter and I am sure that cases are not being properly recorded from such areas.
It’s hard to believe the figures given, but as a number here have stated, with the large family and friends connections here in Thailand I have not heard of any first hand sickness or death from this virus.

On the other hand I know a number of family friend connections in the UK that have been stricken down with some kind of illness described as an ‘illness like no other previously experienced’. Also aware of a few fatalities related to Covid.

In Thailand I have literally heard of zero cases connected to the family friends network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

The problem is that nobody has a clue aside from what the state tells us, and everyone is a self-appointed virologist now but opinion is pretty much all they have (including this one).

It is very hard to believe Thailand's numbers because the Chinese were still flooding in for two months after Wuhan was locked down. Thailand has gone from second highest in the world to the bottom which, short of a miracle, should not be possible. Additionally, it is common knowledge that there has been virtually no testing done in Thailand which would go to explain those rosy figures.

That said, I too have not heard of anyone that has contracted the virus here, but then I would never know if they're not tested. Thousands of people die every day here, and I have lost friends in the past two months, but no idea if it was to Covid or not because they were not tested.

The Thai government is a military dictatorship so of course it is taking advantage of the situation to control and restrict its people - it is what dictators generally do.

Westerners are used to freedom and democracy, so they will flaunt the rules, people in Asia (apart from Hong Kong) are used to being told what to do so generally have abided with lockdown protocols more.

A final thought: if those figures really are true and Thailand is pretty much free of the virus, why the need for extended draconian lockdown measures?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thailand has gone from second highest in the world to the bottom
Of course we were. If Thailand was the first to discover a case outside of China then mmmmm that would make us number 2 yeh?

We're now 78th out of 215.

There are 15 countries with no new cases and zero active cases currently.
The COVID-19 pandemic was confirmed to have reached Thailand on 13 January 2020, when the country made the first confirmation of a case outside China. Surveillance among incoming travellers revealed a small number of cases throughout January, almost all of whom were visitors or residents returning from China. The first reported local transmission was confirmed on 31 January The number of cases remained low throughout February, with forty confirmed by the end of the month.
It's already been accepted that the US is probably undercounted as is the UK and others. Because of the lack of testing in Thailand, there are fewer cases discovered. There are many countries whose figures are lower than Thailand.

Like you I don't know anyone who knows anyone who have or have had Covid 19

As has been said, without evidence to the contrary, we have to accept the published figures as genuine.

Another single case discovered in the last 24 hours from State Quarantine. Another 'net zero' which has been repeated for a week or more now.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I can’t remember where I read about this, so Mods please move as necessary, but somebody mentioned about there being no international post, - a few days ago I received two letters from the UK so I assume things must be ok now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was the UK that made the decision, no mail to Thailand. As you have received mail then I guess that it's back on. I don't think Thailand has imposed any restrictions apart from disinfecting incoming mail.