Activities During Lockdown

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Activities During Lockdown

Post by sateeb »

Nope..Sierra and Talbot job cars, the Sunbeam was hands down the worst car I ever drove. The Cosworth J250NND I wrapped it round a gate post, monster of a car.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

sateeb wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:28 pm Just a different angle, which car have I never driven

Ford Sierra Cosworth..xx

Porsche 911 Turbo

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

Talbot Sunbeam...xx

Ford Capri 2.8
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

RR Silver Shadow?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:22 pm RR Silver Shadow?
Or a Capri 2.8 - did drive a Capri 3.0 V6 many moons ago, with the car being just about as old as me! God was that a dream car when I was I kid..... a petrol head even then :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

One car I always wanted but never had or drove. Nearest I got was a 2.0 Capri. :thumb:

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:49 am One car I always wanted but never had or drove. Nearest I got was a 2.0 Capri. :thumb:
CI5 - It was Bodie's car..... but he didn't have the 3.0 :wink: :roll: Could have been so many of the early 80's shows where I fell in love with that car. Had the chance to buy one when I was 19/20 (and fix-up the engine) - chose full scale engineering/qualifications and a way of life...... Still miss the Capri though.

[EDIT] Take that back, (Bodie's and others) was a 3.lltr..... For added interest: -

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... 5-000.html

Perhaps should have been posted in the "History Thread" :oops:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:49 am One car I always wanted but never had or drove. Nearest I got was a 2.0 Capri. :thumb:
Oh what memories! I remember driving one in 1980, when I would have been 23. I was sharing a house in Dover with Pete, a hefty rugby man, and Steve, a skinny Geordie. The Capri belonged to Steve's dad (were all Capris bright red?), who made the mistake of lending it to Steve for a couple of months.

But the car isn't my main memory of Steve...

All was fine until Steve moved his girlfriend in. A quiet, unassuming lass, also skinny (the pair of them together weighed less than Pete), but the fireworks started when they went to bed, which I associate with the 10 o'clock news, so quite early by any standards. Young love... It turned out she was a screamer. I can still hear the rhythmic pounding of the bedsprings through the ceiling and the cries of "Ooooh Stevie!" in a strong Geordie accent. Turning up the TV didn't work, so Pete and I became 10 o'clock regulars at the local pub. The landlord used to greet us with "Are they at it again?", as he poured the first pint.

I'm laughing as I type. Think I'll have to start a 'Reminiscences' thread.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

An Uncle Tomesque tale :laugh: :laugh:

Can't ever really remember red Capri's oop North, my first was a gold 1.6GL called Gracie (Fields), I had one of those pop up/removable smoked glass sun roofs installed unfortunately one night after a wetting the babies head celebrations I was being driven home in my car by a colleague and as we entered a national speed limit area I decided that it would be a good idea to remove the sunroof,not being an expert in vehicular aerodynamics i was shocked to see said sunroof disappearing into a million little pieces after it had flown out of my hand. It never looked the same with a clear plastic cover and duct tape :banghead: :banghead: .

My second (and last) was a 2.0 graphite grey W reg with a dodgy water pump so I always had big containers of water sloshing around in the boot.

My favourite car I owned was a Mk1 Hyundai SCoupe turbo 1.4,Mitsubishi engine, went like the wind and I guess it did so as it was nicked outside my tennis club :( :( .

My last UK car was a blue MK2 Hyundai Coupe, at the time it had the body shape similar to a Ferrari not as fun as the old Hyundai but a solid reliable motor. :cheers:

― George Carlin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As much as I’m enjoying this thread, maybe Mods could start a new one where we can reminisce about our beloved 4 wheelers of yesteryear?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You don't need a Mod to do that for you. We have a Motoring section - fill yer boots :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One activity I enjoyed today--watching the Queen's message to the country. Content pretty bland but quietly comforting and that is what she does best. Americans, please feel free to watch, you'll find it calming.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What we may see worldwide will be similar x 100 to the great northeast USA blackout of 1965. Nine months later the birth rate exploded.

I can imagine at present it's the most practiced activity during lockdown that there ever was! :D :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:56 pm What we may see worldwide will be similar x 100 to the great northeast USA blackout of 1965. Nine months later the birth rate exploded.

I can imagine at present it's the most practiced activity during lockdown that there ever was! :D :cheers:
Luckily, I'm still working so haven't had the full lockdown experience yet but judging by my neighbour here, the most practiced activities by order of popularity are;

1. Shouting at your wife.
2. Shouting at your child.
3. Shouting at other people over the telephone.

It's clear that with sufficient determination and resolve, you can entertain yourself for 18 hours a day with these three activities.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Sorry, I’ve got too much time in my hands with not enough to do as I decided not to do anything work related during these Easter days off.

”Tell about yourself with titles of the books that are in your bookself. Answer the questions.”

Here's my list. Most of my novels are still in Thailand so the list suffers from that. Anyway, I'm quite pleased of what I got together. Some of them are in Finnish, so I've added translations in parenthesis.

1. Who/what are you? Tuulen varjo (Shadow of the wind)
2. Describe yourself: Wondering
3. What does life mean to you? Suuri illusioni (My grand illusion)
4. How are you? Mad about Mekong
5. Describe the are you live in now: Suljettu maa (The closed earth/country)
6. Where would you like to travel? Siperiasta itään (East from Siberia)
7. Describe your best friend: Arsene Wenger pure genius
8. Your favourite colour? Itä on punainen (East is red)
9. What’s the weather like now? Iivana Julma (Ivan the terrible)
10. The best time of year? Puhun peilille kiinaa (I speak Chinese to my mirror)
11. If you were a tv series, what would you be called? Kosket (The rabids)
12. How is your relationship? Rider of crocodiles
13. What are you afraid of? Imagined communities
14. What do you wish? Japanilaisia runoja (Japanese poems)
15. Today’s aphorism: Tuntemattomalle jumalalle (To the unknown god)
16. How would you like to die? The art of not being governed
17. What is the advice you’d like to give? Mai pen rai means never mind
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Corrections:

11. If you were a tv series, what would you be called? Kosket (The rapids)
5. Describe the area you live in now: Suljettu maa (The closed earth/country)