Hua Hin COVID-19 Community Support

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Hua Hin COVID-19 Community Support

Post by Big Boy »

A new Facebook group was started 2 days by a group of Expats to offer various kinds of support to the vulnerable, who can't help themselves during the Covid-19 crisis. They are offering various types of help to those who need it during the crisis e.g.
  • Need shopping?
  • Need tablets from a pharmacy?
  • Need somebody to talk to?
  • Pet needs to go to the vet?
The list is endless. They are even trying to arrange a food bank for families whose main bread winner is temporarily unemployed during the crisis.

The group is private, but you simply need to ask to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/144311410249248/. If you need help, simply say, "I need help" and say what you need. Somebody will respond. The group is young, so is also looking for volunteers to help.

Volunteers have to follow a very strict set of hygiene rules.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin COVID-19 Community Support

Post by sateeb »

Thanks for the heads up. Happy to help when i can.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Anyone here joined?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did as a volunteer, but can't meet the hygiene requirements - can't get latex gloves in my size :cry:.

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Volunteered
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good man - well done :thumb:

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The group is young,
I know that's not referring to age. However, that must be considered. Us old fogies well into their 70's and beyond should be more aware of 'social distancing' than most others. Younger people commonly only get mild, or no symptoms. That doesn't mean they can't spread the disease. In fact, in Bangkok that is the main cause being pointed at.

Much as I'd like to help, I will maintain my social distancing where possible and in so doing, will contribute to keeping my family safe.

Think first. Act second. Not the other way round.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the group is taking precautions. As I said, I couldn't volunteer because I fell down on one criterion. Basically, their criterion for volunteers is:
Health Guidelines
Not every COVID-19 carrier is symptomatic, and we cannot completely eliminate risk. With that in mind, we have implemented the following safety guidelines to minimize any potential transmission of the novel coronavirus.
All our volunteers:

Have not traveled out of the country in the last 14 days

Are not exhibiting any signs of compromised health (e.g. runny nose, cough, fever, etc.)

Have not come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days

Have been practicing social distancing

All volunteers wear latex/rubber gloves during deliveries. We also recommend that volunteers avoid touching unnecessary items and utilize a self-checkout option if available. Volunteers are additionally requested to take every CDC-approved safety precaution, including:

Washing hands frequently with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds or using hand sanitizer

Refraining from touching their face after having been outside

Sneezing or coughing into their elbow

Practicing “social distancing” -- staying indoors, avoiding crowds, staying 6 feet away from other people if you have to go outside

Delivery Protocol
Volunteers make as minimal contact with the recipient as possible upon delivery:

They will place items at the door and knock/ring the doorbell and/or call the recipient to inform them that their order has been delivered.

If items have not already been paid for, payment to the volunteer will be exchanged either via cash or bank transfer

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Agreed Tel. I think at this point in time I would be happy to help with shopping for someone who can't get out.

― George Carlin
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pmutilize a self-checkout option if available.
Is this available somewhere in Hua Hin?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No idea - not my rules.

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ralfredo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:07 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pmutilize a self-checkout option if available.
Is this available somewhere in Hua Hin?
Bluport has one self-checkout aisle.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

HHTel wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm
The group is young,
I know that's not referring to age. However, that must be considered. Us old fogies well into their 70's and beyond should be more aware of 'social distancing' than most others. Younger people commonly only get mild, or no symptoms. That doesn't mean they can't spread the disease. In fact, in Bangkok that is the main cause being pointed at.

Much as I'd like to help, I will maintain my social distancing where possible and in so doing, will contribute to keeping my family safe.

Think first. Act second. Not the other way round.
I was looking on my neighbourhood facebook page today and see they have a group of 70+ ers doing things that don't involve leaving the house. Updating the facebook group for one, responding to inquiries, doing a lot of the organisational things like "Betty needs rice, pasta and vegetables, we'll phone John and see if he can pick them up and drop them off at her house". Pete's dog needs walking, but he has severe underlying health issues, so we'll get family Smith across the road from him to coordinate with Family Brown over the back, so his dog gets a short walk 3 times a day. I would imagine that the coordinating of who needs help and pairing them up with who can provide that help will be the vast majority of their work. And to be perfectly honest... it's no easy task. I do this kind of thing for a living, so I take my hat off to anyone who does it voluntarily. I am rabbiting on (again! :oops: ), all I meant to say was....

there may still be many things you and others in your age group can do, and still maintain your social distancing.

:thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I believe they've found a role for me :D

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I've left the group as it is increasingly being taken over by idiots promoting their own agendas. I feel sorry for the lady who started it, her heart is in the right place but I can see that she is being overwhelmed by dross. Human nature at play again.

I remember when I lived in Khon Kaen a small group of us started a cricket team for underprivileged kids,they literally didn't have shoes. We kitted them out, got some sponsorship ans things were great. As it grew with new members, some thought they could do a better job than us and ultimately it folded. There was a sense of pride however as one of the kids went on to represent Thailand.

― George Carlin