Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by buksida »

Tourists face arrest, jail for overstaying
More than 150,000 foreign nationals need to have their tourist visas renewed by Sept 26 or face a charge of overstaying, warned Pol Col Pakpong Sai-ubol, deputy spokesman of the Immigration Bureau.

"Overstaying the tourist visa is punishable by both a jail term and fine under the Immigration Act," he said, adding offenders would also be deported to their countries of origin.

According to the law, anyone who has overstayed their visa for more than 90 days is barred from re-entering the kingdom for one year. The blacklist extends to a lifetime if the overstaying period exceeds 10 years.

Many foreign visitors were stranded in Thailand at the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic in late March when international flights were suspended and borders closed to stave off the transmission of the virus.

The visitors were given a reprieve where they were able to remain in the country even after their visas had expired.

But the grace period ends on Saturday which has also been set as a deadline for having their visas renewed.

Failure to report to obtain a visa renewal by the deadline will incur a daily fine and lead to authorities tracking down tourists at addresses kept in the IB's database.

Pol Col Pakpong said tourists will be arrested and face legal action.

He added more than 150,000 foreign nationals holding tourist visas are currently in Thailand although the deputy spokesman did not give an exact number.

A source in the IB said authorities were concerned some stranded tourists might not turn up to request visa renewals.

They might prefer to remain in the kingdom illegally if the virus has not been tackled in their home countries.

The source added some stranded tourists might also take up employment illegally as a means of gaining financial support and refrain from contacting their respective embassies in Thailand.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... verstaying
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was sat in a café this morning, and on the next table were 5 ladies. 1 Thai and 4 from the West (not sure of nationality). It was time for some eavesdropping.

The 4 foreign ladies were discussing what would happen to them on the 26th when the amnesty ran out. It seemed that they normally do some sort of annual visa run to extend for another 12 months. Of course, that isn't possible this year, so they concluded Immigration would have to issue a visa from within Thailand to give them a 12 month extension. :shock: Basically they didn't have a clue.

I guess there will be many others in the same boat. It'll be interesting to see if Thai police get off their arses to do some proactive checking. It might be worthwhile for those of us with permission to remain to carry some sort of proof with us for the foreseeable, just in case.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Thats good advice. I've scanned my passport into photo's on my phone. Maybe a photocopy would be better.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

nil wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm Thats good advice. I've scanned my passport into photo's on my phone. Maybe a photocopy would be better.
Do both.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:10 pm
nil wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm Thats good advice. I've scanned my passport into photo's on my phone. Maybe a photocopy would be better.
Do both.
Tip : Take your passport to the photo copy booth in MV basement near the motorcycle entrance. They will copy your passport photo page and visa page, reduce to credit card size, place them back to back and laminate them. Easily fits in your wallet, pocket, purse etc. and doesn't wear out. Can't remember the price but not expensive. :cheers: :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by HHTel »

hailand Visa Amnesty Gets Last-Minute Extension to Oct. 31 – Sources
No official letter, announcement or publication made yet. Announcement expected Monday.
Thailand Visa Amnesty Gets Last-Minute Extension to Oct. 31 – Sources - Bangkok Herald
BANGKOKHERALD.COM
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:45 pm
hailand Visa Amnesty Gets Last-Minute Extension to Oct. 31 – Sources
No official letter, announcement or publication made yet. Announcement expected Monday.
Thailand Visa Amnesty Gets Last-Minute Extension to Oct. 31 – Sources - Bangkok Herald
BANGKOKHERALD.COM
Do you think that they do this last minute BS just to aggravate people?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is yesterday's story from the Bangkok Herald. As of 0300 hours September 27 there is no official announcement yet from the government confirming anything.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/thai ... 1-sources/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

GRACE PERIOD FOR STRANDED FOREIGNERS EXTENDED UNTIL OCT. 31
Thailand’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Monday said it has decided to extend a grace period for visa renewals for foreigners stranded in Thailand due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions until the end of October.

The CCSA has decided to extend the grace period because many flights are not available, and foreigners stranded in Thailand expressed concerns of the rising number of infections back in their home countries, said CCSA spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.

Thailand has reported only one local infection in about 100 days.

The CCSA’s decision to grant the extension will be subject to cabinet approval on Tuesday, Taweesin said.

In July, authorities granted automatic visa extensions from late March to Sept. 26 to all foreigners.

After October, a new immigration regulation will allow foreigners to apply for 60-day extensions to remain in Thailand, but only if they are unable to leave due to limited flights or other urgent issues.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... il-oct-31/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

immigration.jpg
immigration.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

Foreigners currently on visa amnesty, who didn’t make the initial September 26 deadline to file for extension, can extend their visa between now and October 31. The Immigration Bureau is trying to reduce overcrowding at local immigration offices and say that no matter what day the 60 day extension is made, it will go into effect on November 1.

In an extremely last minute decision last week, the government extended the visa amnesty, which had expired on September 26, to October 31. Under the new regulations, extensions are now 60 days each.

Those who already paid 1,900 baht get a 30 day extension by the initial cutoff are advised to get the stamp changed at their local immigration office, allowing them to stay until November 30 at no extra cost.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/60 ... november-1
nuhuahin
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by nuhuahin »

Stuck in NZ. We are UK visitors to NZ trying to return to Thailand where we have I-O retirement visas. Wife’s visa has expired and Embassy insist renewed here to their rules including requirement to have Thai Bank letter confirming 800k balance, verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Bank will not issue to third party so impossible.
My retirement visa still valid but Embassy say BKK Immigration will not accept because visa issued within Thailand. Insisting I renew here which gives me same bank account verification problem as my wife- as well as sacrificing visa and multi re-entry permits (unused).

Anyone having or overcome these problems? Is this very unhelpful approach being universally applied?
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by caller »

nuhuahin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 am Anyone having or overcome these problems? Is this very unhelpful approach being universally applied?
I can't really help, but at face value, what the Embassy are saying seems a load of twaddle. You have a valid legitimate visa with re-entry permits, issued with the explicit understanding you are likely to be travelling within the next 12 months. So basically, what the NZ Embassy are saying, is that your visa isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I wonder if an immigration officer at Swampy has been given written instructions to refuse entry to anyone seeking to re-enter Thailand on a retirement visa issued in Bkk? It does seem a bit unlikely, doesn't it?

Have you tried to contact the immigration office that issues the visa?
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@nuhuahin Unless you qualify for a Certificate of Entry you're unlikely to be able to return until the conditions change. When you get a CoE you will have to arrange flights and ASQ and spend 2 weeks in quarantine in Thailand. Pick an embassy website to see what the CoE requirements are.

E.g. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi ... 236972c562
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

hhinner wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm @nuhuahin Unless you qualify for a Certificate of Entry you're unlikely to be able to return until the conditions change. When you get a CoE you will have to arrange flights and ASQ and spend 2 weeks in quarantine in Thailand. Pick an embassy website to see what the CoE requirements are.

E.g. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi ... 236972c562
I agree with all of that, but the Thai Government have strongly implied that retirement visa holders are to be included in the next category of foreigners allowed back in. As he already holds what on the face of it, is a valid visa, the rest should be manageable. Hence my suggestion to contact whoever issued his visa. Flights should be easier now that a limited number of airlines are allowed to fly into Thailand beyond those being organised by their respective Embassy's, although everything else still applies. On saying that, I'm not sure how many of those airlines are flying to NZ at the moment?
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't think that's right, caller.

Those on retirement extensions from an original OA visa can return - subject to all the quarantine etc rules.

Those on retirement extensions from an original O visa cannot return.

That's my understanding. I hope that maybe I'm wrong.