How long could you survive self-isolation at home?

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: How long could you survive self-isolation at home?

Post by Dannie Boy »

We went to Makro this morning and it was “business as usual” - no panic buying and everything on the shelves - let’s hope it stays that way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:50 pm Fro what it's worth: Our eldest daughter, in Bangkok, called yesterday and said, "Stock up on food and necessities, the govt. is going to make an announcement tomorrow." She didn't said what kind of announcement but we went out and stocked up on canned & packaged goods, nothing panicky, just normal stuff to last a couple of weeks. We'll see what transpires.
As Paul Daniels would say "Not a lot" :duck:

Seriously though, without a reliable source and link things like this shouldn't be posted, it just feeds the fire of rumour and panic.

In my previous life, as I like to call it, we used to get "reliable info" a couple of times a year, that members of the public had been advised not to go shopping at The Trafford Centre because of a terrorist threat.

Anyways, you are ok for the next 2 weeks :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm about to find out as Trump has aslked the nation to stay home for the next 15 days... have plenty of water, beer, and TP, the three essentials!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Father Ted not doing so well :laugh: :laugh:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

We have enough rice for about three months and a garden full of all kinds of fruit and vegetables. We actually have a surplus of most things, which my wife sells to a neighbour who has a market stall. So long as the municipal water supply continues we'll be OK - we don't buy bottled water, we use a filter system, then just to be on the safe side, we boil the filtered water as well.

If we had to be totally self-sufficient we'd be struggling a bit for protein but I suppose we could get by on a vegetarian diet for a while with not too many ill-effects.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Surging traffic is slowing down internet

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18871 ... n-internet

WASHINGTON: In late January, as China locked down some provinces to contain the spread of the coronavirus, average internet speeds in the country slowed as people who were stuck inside went online more and clogged the networks. In Hubei province, the epicentre of infections, mobile broadband speeds fell by more than half.

In mid-February, when the virus hit Italy, Germany and Spain, internet speeds in those countries also began to deteriorate.

And last week, as a wave of stay-at-home orders rolled out across the United States, the average time it took to download videos, emails and documents increased as broadband speeds declined 4.9% from the previous week, according to Ookla, a broadband speed testing service. Median download speeds dropped 38% in San Jose, California, and 24% in New York, according to Broadband Now, a consumer broadband research site.

Quarantines around the world have made people more reliant on the internet to communicate, work, learn and stay entertained. But as the use of YouTube, Netflix, Zoom videoconferencing, Facebook calls and videogaming has surged to new highs, the stress on internet infrastructure is starting to show in Europe and the US — and the traffic is probably far from its peak.

“This is totally unprecedented,” said Thierry Breton, a European Union commissioner who oversees digital policy and was a chief executive of France Télécom. “We have to be proactive.”

To head off problems, European regulators like Breton have pushed streaming companies such as Netflix and YouTube to reduce the size of their video files so they do not take up as much bandwidth. In the US, regulators have given wireless carriers access to more spectrum to bolster the capacity of their networks.

Some tech companies have responded to the call to ease internet traffic. YouTube, which is owned by Google, said this week that it would reduce the quality of its videos from high to standard definition across the globe. Disney delayed the start of its Disney Plus streaming service in France by two weeks, and Microsoft’s Xbox asked gaming companies to introduce online updates and new releases only at certain times to prevent network congestion.

“We really don’t know how long we’re going to be in this mode for,” Dave Temkin, Netflix’s vice-president of network and systems infrastructure, said in a webinar Wednesday on how the coronavirus could affect internet infrastructure.

Internet service providers like Comcast, Vodafone, Verizon and Telefónica have been building out their networks for years to account for increasing demand. But company officials said they had never seen such a steep, sudden surge. Growth that the industry had expected to take a year is happening over days, said Enrique Blanco, chief technology officer at Telefónica, a Spanish telecommunications company.

“In just two days we grew all the traffic we had planned for 2020,” Mr Blanco said.

Last week, mobile traffic on AT&T’s networks rose 40% while Verizon experienced a 22% increase in traffic on its wireless and fiber broadband service. Wi-Fi calls doubled from their normal volume, the carriers said.

In Europe, internet traffic into homes over fixed lines was up more than 30%, according to Telefónica. Activities like online gaming and video conferencing have more than doubled, while messages over WhatsApp have more than quadrupled.

So much traffic and stress on internet networks has slowed the speed of downloading webpages and apps, according to Ookla.

“Congestion is higher,” said Adriane Blum, an Ookla spokeswoman. “We’re all at home and the activities we’re doing in this unprecedented time are not low-bandwidth usage, which means a lot of activity on a network.”

Cisco said demand for its WebEx teleconference service had tracked the spread of the coronavirus. Demand first surged in Asia, then in Europe, and last week it soared 240% in the US. The demand has pushed up failure rates delivering video conferencing, said Sri Srinivasan, a Cisco senior vice-president in charge of WebEx.

“I don’t know if we’ll soon see a peak, not for weeks to come,” he said. “The reason I say that is because we aren’t seeing traffic in Asia slow down even now.”

Internet service providers said they could handle the deluge of traffic but were adding capacity. Verizon, Cox and AT&T said they were building more cell sites to strengthen mobile networks, increasing the number of fiber connections on their network backbones, and upgrading the routing and switching technology that lets devices talk to one another and share an internet connection.

Orange, formerly France Télécom, has doubled its capacity inside undersea internet cables. In Italy, where home internet use is up 90%, Telecom Italia said its technicians continued to make repairs and add capacity. Vodafone, one of Europe’s largest networks operators, said it had increased its capacity 50% in recent weeks through a mix of software and the addition of more equipment in the field.

“We’re seeing some signs of stress,” AT&T’s chief executive, Randall Stephenson, said in an interview on CNN on Sunday. “We’re having to go out and do some augmentation of networks, and so we’re sending our employees out there to get that done, but right now the network is performing quite well.”

To prevent clogged networks, Europe has taken the most aggressive steps.

Last week, Breton, the EU commissioner, discussed reducing the bitstreams of videos with Reed Hastings, the chief executive of Netflix; Sundar Pichai, the chief executive of Google; and Susan Wojcicki, the head of YouTube. The companies agreed, as did Amazon for its Prime Video streaming service and Twitch, its online gaming platform.

Many of the companies then went further. On Tuesday, Netflix decided to switch its high-definition video streams in India, Australia and Latin America to slightly lower quality to reduce the traffic they create there by 25%, and YouTube said it would make all global streams standard definition.

“We continue to work closely with governments and network operators around the globe to do our part to minimize stress on the system during this unprecedented situation,” YouTube said in a statement.

Microsoft’s Xbox gaming business recently asked large gaming companies to release online updates of their games during off-peak hours while it helped focus on the critical internet needs of people involved in the coronavirus crisis, according to an Xbox email reviewed by The New York Times. Video game updates can require great amounts of bandwidth to download.

Xbox asked the companies to release updates in a four-hour overnight window in North America, and only from Monday through Thursday.

“Microsoft is actively monitoring performance and usage trends to ensure we’re optimizing service for our customers worldwide, and accommodating new growth and demand,” the company said. “At the same time, these are unprecedented times, and we’re also taking proactive steps to plan for these high-usage periods.”

While US regulators said they did not plan to follow Europe in asking for streaming and social media companies to degrade their services, they are taking other steps. Last week, the Federal Communications Commission granted Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile temporary access to more airwaves.

“The FCC has been coordinating closely with network operators to ensure those networks remain up and running,” Ajit Pai, the agency’s chairman, said in a statement.

Telefónica’s Blanco, who has been living under a lockdown in Spain, said he expected the record traffic to last for some time. It may even become the new normal, he said.

In Spain, internet use drops only at 8pm, when people across the country go to their windows to cheer health workers and others who are helping to manage the crisis.

“Suddenly at 8pm it goes down, then it goes back up,” Mr Blanco said. “It’s a beautiful thing.”
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Got me 'nuther sack a spuds from field. Crate of beans in a tin from the shop. Few gallon o' cow juice, some been frozen. Got's me (a single man!) 67 eggs. Few kilo of good meat 'n veg. Some more on the way.

Not's so ugly now, am's I?

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I have not been out for eleven days now, driving me nuts, I normally out every day.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 am I have not been out for eleven days now, driving me nuts, I normally out every day.
If you live in a house, you can walk outside the house. I don't how people who live in condos do it.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Hopefully the electricity supply will prove to be reliable. I had a petrol generator in Scotland as a back up not a bad idea for here now that I think about it.

A significant problem though is the psychological aspect of being isolated,give it longer than 2 weeks and that becomes a problem for some or maybe many. And finally what if you have a run of the mill medical emergency ? I suspect however if the water and electricity supplies still function most of us will middle through it. Oh and my wife is concerned that crime will rise since so many people have lost their source of income.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes for sure concerning your last sentence. The below thread now takes on greater meaning, attention and needed planning. Foreigner households really need to be vigilant until the end of these troubles. :(

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38971
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Beer-drinking granny's lockdown plea gets rewarded

https://au.news.yahoo.com/beer-drinking ... 02261.html

A 93-year-old woman who went viral after she asked for more beer while in isolation has been sent enough beer to see her through the coronavirus outbreak.

Olive Veronesi became an internet sensation after a family member posted an image of her with a sign asking for more beer.

The Pittsburgh grandmother who has been in self-isolation treats herself to a can of beer each day but she became concerned when she was down to her last dozen.

The image pleading for more beer made Ms Veronesi a local celebrity and was shared more than five million times on social media.

“I have a beer every night and you know what? beer has vitamins in it, it’s good for you, just don’t overdo it,” a smiling Ms Veronesi told local outlet KDKA when they visited her house.

Mark Lindner, the general manager of beer producer Molson Coors, saw the woman’s plea online and decided to help make her isolation more bearable by delivering over 150 cans of her favourite beer on Monday (local time).

“We saw that one of our loyal customers ran out of Coors Light, we couldn’t have that happen so my associate and I put in two cases of beer and drove up to make sure Olive got her beer,” Mr Lindner told KDKA.

Ms Veronesi was delighted with the delivery and even cracked open the first can on her front veranda before the delivery was complete.

“That tastes pretty good,” she said taking a sip.

Ms Veronesi enjoyed being in the spotlight and posed for photos with local media in front on her new supply of beer.
Thousands of other people have also reached out to get Olive a beer after the photo was posted, so it’s safe to say she won’t run dry for a while yet.
Olive Veronesi, 93, went viral after a family member posted an image of her asking for beer while she was in isolation. Source: KDKA
Olive Veronesi, 93, went viral after a family member posted an image of her asking for beer while she was in isolation. Source: KDKA
af590570-7e03-11ea-97fe-8443fb0400b0.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Should have asked for a better beer.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by Stargeezer »

I read that somewhere a guy only lasted 13 days of quarantine and jumped to his death.
I was able to last 21 days in my basement, and was happy to see outside for sure
after that, but with a laptop and phone, my sanity was still mostly intact. Hope that
those of you who have to self isolate, will remember that 2 or 3 weeks is really a pretty
short time.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well the "Ding Machine" (aka Microwave) decided to go on strike the other day - no worries I thought. Three days later we've realised how much we rely on the bloody thing!
Heating the odd thing up, beans for toast, meals, hot milk at night - no worries, saucepan/oven for Christ's sake...... Then realised that in our "regimented" preparation for lockdown, we've cooked and stocked our freezer with a multitude of meals ready to pop into the aforementioned "Ding Machine" .....Bugger!! :cuss: :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.