How long could you survive self-isolation at home?

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

How long could you survive self-isolation at home?

Post by Lost »

With the current madness it got me thinking.

If everything starts closing. I mean, complete lock down leaving only vital public offices open. Hospitals, pharmacies, some shops 'n packed food centers - as has happened in Italy, Spain and France...

"How long could I really survive with what's in the house!? Should shit really hit the fan, how long can I just stay inside? "

Not long at all actually come to think of it! Looking in the cupboards probably 3-4 weeks. :shock:

Give me a bit of a wake up call, that. Given a nightmare scenario, I can survive for 3 or four weeks.

:cry:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: How long could you survive self-isolation at home?

Post by sateeb »

Depends where in the world you are i guess. :naughty: Here in Thailand I could get by with a couple of rolls of loo paper(bum washer comes into it's own) :laugh: :laugh: .

Got a freezer full of home made grub, bread maker, water etc.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:35 am
And that's the question. How long u reckon you survive on your freezer load and breadmaker. A month, 2...?

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we have plenty in reserve for a lock-down. Drinking water may be a problem, but I'm sure we'd get notice enough to stock up. I'm happy we would be OK in a lockdown, but maybe my head is working overtime, and I fear that might not be the end of it.

We are regularly seeing the anti-Farang postings by Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister. My worry is in the event of lockdown, Thais will not be earning, they won't have any cash reserves, and they won't be able to get food. With Senior Clowns in the government promoting anti-Farang sentiment, hunger could turn the minds of the hungry locals against us. Civil unrest is my biggest fear.

Or maybe I've watched too many apocalypse movies.:shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Lost wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:54 am
sateeb wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:35 am
And that's the question. How long u reckon you survive on your freezer load and breadmaker. A month, 2...?

:cheers:
With a shit load of rice, in the worst case scenario, 3 to 4 months I guess.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I do note a difference in the advice that American as opposed to Canadians give. In addition to food etc, Americans include Guns and Ammo!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I suppose if push comes to shove, I could turn native. One of the advantages of living in this part of the world is that we are surrounded by food of one sort or another. Someone once said that you can eat anything with legs except a table and anything with wings except a plane! Apart from wildlife, there is masses of edible vegetation and fruit etc.

Of course that would only work outside of town so I guess in the case of an apocalypse, people in the cities would be the first to go!!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:00 am
Of course that would only work outside of town so I guess in the case of an apocalypse, people in the cities would be the first to go!!
The folks with chickens and cows would become the 'wealthy'. :D
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I guess I would have to slum it with a BB gun and an infinite supply of pigeons :cheers:

― George Carlin
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Drinking water's a pain in the arse too, should services be disrupted. Fckin drinking water!

My ex used to keep these massive drums around the house to catch rainwater. Always had plenty of rainwater in our household.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, I'd be worried elsewhere, but as my travel/job/earnings have been pretty much buggered indefinitely....

Here in the UK, we could for months. The LHG has stocked up on rice (as if I need any more) :roll:, we have tinned and dried foods galore - always do as I (did) get dragged off at zero notice to places where things simply aren't available and would take a supply with me. Freezer full of pre-made meals, grow our own fruit & veg (though not quite ready yet!), filter on mains water....... Even "Bob the Dog" is sorted for a bit with his "chews", Christ, we've even got enough bird food! I'd miss my "full fat fresh milk" though...... :(

"Bog Roll"? Shower at side of toilet, ready-made "cleanser" :thumb:

I think the LHG has also purchased all available sanitizers in South Wales to supply to family and each and every corner of our house (the dog doesn't like his face mask though....).

Wine and beer on delivery(?), job done!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Fro what it's worth: Our eldest daughter, in Bangkok, called yesterday and said, "Stock up on food and necessities, the govt. is going to make an announcement tomorrow." She didn't said what kind of announcement but we went out and stocked up on canned & packaged goods, nothing panicky, just normal stuff to last a couple of weeks. We'll see what transpires.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Does your eldest daughter work for the Govt.? or did she hear this unsubstantiated rumour through a friend of a friend or Social media sites!

― George Carlin
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As mentioned in another post a committee meeting is going on today and they are deciding on things like bar closures, country restricted lists etc. Perhaps the interpretation of what they are meeting about got changed as it usually does when a story goes around. We'll see......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Thai Minister of Public Health, Anutin Charnvirakul, announced yesterday at a press conference that he will be speaking to the Prime Minister tomorrow, Monday, March 16th about several stricter measures to stop the outbreak of the Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand.

One of those measures has gone viral on social media, specifically, to shut down selected bars, entertainment venues and nightlife across Thailand.
The current idea to close bars and entertainment venues is only a suggestion, NOT an order or guarantee, and will be brought up officially to the Prime Minister and the Thai Cabinet tomorrow, Monday, March 16th, 2020. This does not mean the decision would be made tomorrow, merely that it will be officially suggested.
The Minister of Public Health did not say he would close every bar and nightlife venue in the country, of which there are tens of thousands, but that selected venues across the country would be closed zone by zone that were of high risk.
Source: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/15/t ... ronavirus/

There is also supposed to be a meeting tomorrow 17th regarding voa cancellations etc.

But who knows. I'll take anything Anutin says with a pinch of salt!