Sports affected by Coronavirus

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sports affected by Coronavirus

Post by sateeb »

Quote HHTel First of all let's make it clear that I know nothing about football and have never followed it.

However, my son is an avid supporter of Spurs (for his sins). Talking to him last night and he was telling me that Spurs are putting all their non-playing staff on furlough and applying for the 80% salary payment from the government leaving those employees with a 20% cut in wages.

He said that with Billionaire owners and every player being a multi-millionaire, it's disgraceful that they should exploit government funds like this.

"If they choose not to pay their staff whilst still paying themselves huge amounts, then after 30 years, I will not be supporting them anymore!"

Any thoughts from the football followers here?...end quote

Liverpool FC tried it and reversed it PDQ following a fans backlash, so all is not Lost :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm However, my son is an avid supporter of Spurs (for his sins). Talking to him last night and he was telling me that Spurs are putting all their non-playing staff on furlough and applying for the 80% salary payment from the government leaving those employees with a 20% cut in wages.
Didn't I read that the 80% is capped at something quite normal?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 pm
sateeb wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 pm However, my son is an avid supporter of Spurs (for his sins). Talking to him last night and he was telling me that Spurs are putting all their non-playing staff on furlough and applying for the 80% salary payment from the government leaving those employees with a 20% cut in wages.
Didn't I read that the 80% is capped at something quite normal?
Furlough capped at £2,500 per month (the government will pay upto £2,500). £2,500 would be a fair bit less than 80% of "higher earners" salary. People are assuming the government will cover 80% of their total salary, this is not correct....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct. Many companies will pay the shortfall, and some will not (Like Spurs so I understand)

N.B. The quotes are my quotes not Sateeb's. He's my son....... I think!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:19 pm Correct. Many companies will pay the shortfall, and some will not (Like Spurs so I understand)

N.B. The quotes are my quotes not Sateeb's. He's my son....... I think!

Wow! My quest is over :laugh: :laugh: :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^ :laugh: Someone really must tell sateeb how to use the quote function! :cheers:

EDIT: Too late!
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

My problem lies within quoting a quoted quote of a quote :lach: :lach:

― George Carlin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just heard of 2 updates:
  • Thai football has been postponed until at least September.
  • wado-karate has just told me that the Thailand Karate Open (biggest international competition of the year), due to be held in Pattaya in July has been cancelled.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On the Thai football front, the article also states the league will be restructured for future seasons to avoid rainy periods - very sensible.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League 'aims to resume June 8'

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19073 ... ume-june-8
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Australian NRL's Storm muscling against Covid restrictions

Post by Jimbob »

The big money wants to get back into the game at any cost, bullying councils etc.

Plans by NRL powerhouse Melbourne Storm to move its training base to Albury have suffered a setback with the local council voting to oppose the team's relocation.
Key points:

The New South Wales Government had given the team permission to relocate and escape Victoria's pandemic restrictions
The councillors voted against the plan, angry they had not been consulted
The Melbourne-based NRL team is going ahead with its plans and will train at the Albury Sports Ground

But the club said it would go ahead with its plans after securing the use of the Albury Tigers' home ground.

At an extraordinary meeting on Tuesday night, the Albury City Council voted to formally oppose hosting the Victorian team.

The New South Wales Government had given the team permission to relocate to the border city to escape Victoria's pandemic restrictions.

But Albury councillors are angry they were not consulted and want to prevent the team using council facilities.

Councillor Alice Glachan said there could not be one rule for an NRL team and another for the community.

"Regretfully I cannot support them being able to come and do things that our normal members of our community are unable to do at this present time," she said.

The team was due to start training at Albury's Greenfield Park from Wednesday after being given clearance by the State Government.

The decision will prevent the team from training at any council-managed facilities.

However, it does not stop Melbourne Storm from using any private gyms and ovals.

Instead, the team will train at the Albury Sports Ground after uncertainty over the availability of the city's rugby league ground forced the club to look for alternatives.

"We're looking forward to a very good week of training in Albury as we get 2020 back on track," said Storm CEO Dave Donaghy.

"The initial camp from today [Tuesday] through to the weekend will inject tens of thousands of dollars back into the local economy.

"We're using the services of a range of local facilities, including our motel, which will gain 200 extra bed nights at a very difficult time."

www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/nrl-club ... e/12214458
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Super Rugby may be starting up again soon.

- Only New Zealand Teams (5)

- Playing each other twice, Home/Away

- No spectators

- Televised from the usual sources

Schedule should be published once the NZ Gov declares the "re-opening level" that allows it, which should be in a week or so.

I'll post links when available in the Rugby thread..... :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Finally live UFC is back. Tomorrow morning on FOX Sports, UFC#249, Ferguson vs. Gaethje. Main Card fights starts at 09:00 Sunday morning.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

huahin4ever wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:39 pm Finally live UFC is back. Tomorrow morning on FOX Sports, UFC#249, Ferguson vs. Gaethje. Main Card fights starts at 09:00 Sunday morning.
Yes, and people in the event are testing positive. https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/52598309
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...also testing positive are people from at least one Bundesliga team, Dynamo Dresden, a week before the scheduled restart.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52601471

The world wants back to normal, but things are being done too quickly and too soon IMO.