Surfing in Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Surfing in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

I've been visiting or living in Hua Hin for 20 years now - much if the time on or near the beach. I saw something today that I've never seen before. The waves weren't huge, but larger than normal, and there were dozens queuing to catch their wave. There was plenty of full blown surfing this afternoon.

At first, I thought freak conditions, but how many people have a surf board in their garage waiting for waves in Hua Hin?

Just wondering if this is a regular feature of the South Takiab Beach and I've been walking around with my eyes closed.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Re: Surfing in Hua Hin

Post by Bamboo Grove »

My brother and a nephew were just visiting Hua Hin and they sent me a photo of my nephew surfing. No big waves but still possible. I didn't ask them for details where they were, though.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

My nephew said it was Takiab beach and they rent out surfboards from the Riad hotel.
Ryobi1
Novice
Novice

Post by Ryobi1 »

Not something I've ever seen here before either but I guess where there's a wave it's possible. Never tried it myself.. But the surf is fairly tame here... Might give it a whirl one day
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I was out there in December and there was a bit of a storm, there were a few people trying to surf off Takiap beach but I think the waves were what surfers call "ankle snappers".
Ms Tigger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ms Tigger »

I've done body boarding at Cha Am a few times but it's a short ride in. Maybe a bit better around the area of beach near the Ibis in Hua Hin, but generally speaking it's not real good surfing round here on a regular basis.
It's all good :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just a follow-up to this, driving down Soi 94 this morning, I was behind a SUV with 3 surf boards on the roof. I guess it has just been me going around with my eyes closed.

I could understand freak waves coming to local beaches. My problem was accepting so many people here actually owned surf boards.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The weather has been saying high waves Surat Thani northward this week.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:50 pm The weather has been saying high waves Surat Thani northward this week.
Certainly the case a little further south where I was earlier. Sam Roi Yot beach itself was a like a millpond, and the little ripples that counted as waves, showed it was a vivid green algae strewed ripple, as evidenced by the beach. But get around the first headland from and there were some pretty big waves all the way up to Pranburi river, with just Khal Kolock the only other sheltered area (by the shallow beach I guess?).

It was certainly impressive looking south from the Sheraton area and as far as the eye could see, watching spray from the waves being launched over the sea defences.
Talk is cheap