International Driving Permit and Insurance

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: International Driving Permit and Insurance

Post by Nereus »

I use https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/

I have had one claim in over 10 years that was paid without argument.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, I can't say that I'm totally clear on things but this is what we were told earlier today.

We had insurance with Viriyah this year. As the wife managed to drive into a neighbour's flower pot a while ago (and a large one at that) we decided to get the car repaired through the insurance. Viriyah upped the cost to 22,500 THB this year as a result.

Therefore, we were advised to go with Muang Thai for 18,500 THB.

Now things get a bit confusing for me. The coverage for our car is 470,000. That's it. The car cost 640,000 last year and Viriyah were also only offering the 470,000. If repairs cost more than that, we've got to pay the extra. I asked what happens if one of us plow into some fancy Merc worth 5,000,000? The answer was that their insurance would pay to repair their car. That sounds a bit strange to me but might just be usual over here?

I checked about the IDP and the Toyota lady confirmed with the insurance company that I am covered for a year - the validity of the permit. If that had only been valid for a month, then that would be the duration of the insurance. The two run concurrently.

The one saving grace is that my wife announced earlier that she doesn't really like driving so that reduces the chances of totally wrecking the car. I'll never forget her classic comment as she was driving us to Pranburi last year to get the car repaired. We were on the dual carriageway around Kao Tao and she asked me how fast she was driving. "Look at the speedo". "Can't take my eyes off the road". "So, how the hell do you use your mirrors then?" Enough said about that, the better.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

"We were on the dual carriageway around Kao Tao and she asked me how fast she was driving."Look at the speedo".
"Can't take my eyes off the road". "So how the hell do you use your mirrors then?"

Absolute classic,i can just imagine it occurring and believe it is totally possible,have not stopped laughing since i read it,although of course i realise its also quite frightening to think about it.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I know,back to topic!!
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

My gf has an interesting approach to cornering. She maintains a 2 m exact distance between the curve and the car and refuses to cut the corner. She also gets to every corner to fast requiring braking half way round our radius of the bend

When i asked her why none of the cars were doing the 90 speed limit she said its impossible our cars are too fast

Re insurance. 2 years ago she bought a car and got insurance without a full driving licence. She admitted this at purchase but didnt seem to be a big deal!
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Typical thai driving not a clue on corners
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lomuamart wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:29 pm
Now things get a bit confusing for me. The coverage for our car is 470,000. That's it. The car cost 640,000 last year and Viriyah were also only offering the 470,000. If repairs cost more than that, we've got to pay the extra. I asked what happens if one of us plow into some fancy Merc worth 5,000,000? The answer was that their insurance would pay to repair their car. That sounds a bit strange to me but might just be usual over here?
The 470,000 is the estimated value of the vehicle for the age it is, it doesn't take into account the condition of the vehicle or how much you paid for it, they won't pay out more for repairs than that, they'll declare it a write-off and just give you the cash.
It's one of the reasons I'm pretty cautious driving my old pickup, it's in very good condition for it's age and you could never replace it with what the insurance company would pay out.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

I need an IDP for a couple of rentals in the UK in the summer, previously my car hire companies have accepted my Thai licence, but Eurocar insist on an IDP, I should have checked before I booked the rentals.
Can I get one in Pranburi?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

I’ve rechecked with the rental company and they’ve now confirmed that providing that my licence has the details in English, then an IDP isn’t required.
I suspect the incorrect advice came from a bot as I asked via their online chat, another lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just an FYI. The below advertisement appeared on one of the forum pages. Neither I nor the forum are connected to them in any way, and I post the link in case anyone may be interested investigating further. The assumption is that they are legitimate, but there is no way that the forum can guarantee that they are. :cheers:

https://internationaldriversassociation ... gIPB_D_BwE
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:24 pm Just an FYI. The below advertisement appeared on one of the forum pages. Neither I nor the forum are connected to them in any way, and I post the link in case anyone may be interested investigating further. The assumption is that they are legitimate, but there is no way that the forum can guarantee that they are. :cheers:
https://internationaldriversassociation ... gIPB_D_BwE
There's nothing official about the company that are selling these, that said any IDP is no more than a translation of your home driving licence and this is no different.

They do spell it out on their website
Legal Disclaimer
The International Driver’s Document is an unofficial translation of your Driver’s License in two formats: A Translation Card and a Translation Booklet, translating your Driver’s License in 12 languages. These unofficial documents will help you overcome language differences when traveling. As a complementary feature, our advanced translation card saves a digital copy of your valid Driving Permit in your Smartphone. International Driving Permits, which are booklets issued by governmental agencies or private organizations designated by a country’s government, are the only official translation of a person’s Driver’s License. Our translation has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers. By purchasing an International Driver’s Document from IDA you acknowledge that you may not drive anywhere without a valid driver’s license and that the International Driver’s Document we offer is a non-governmental document and does not substitute any state-issued driver’s license or photo ID. This supplementary document simply acts as a translation and digital storage of your valid national driver’s license and is not useful without a valid driving permit. The IDD can not be used to verify your identity. The IDD does not give permission to drive legally in the USA or any other country. This translation is not to be confused with the International Driving Permit of AAA or other domestic / international automobile associations authorized to issue the IDP. You hereby certify that your driver’s license is currently valid and is not suspended or revoked. Legal Disclaimer: International Drivers Association is in no way affiliated with or a representative of American Automobile Association, Inc (AAA).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So basically, has no legal standing and is therefore useless.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The IDL issued in your home country, though legal, has only one purpose: to make money for the issuer. You have to have a valid drivers license to get an IDL therefore, since you have a DL, that should be enough to drive anywhere.

As for the one issued in Thailand, I doubt that a police officer, looking at one, would know the difference between a real one and that one.