Khao Tao Lake

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Khao Tao Lake

Post by STEVE G »

Ginjaninja wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 am This is the location of the Army checkpoint I am referring to for those who are interested. Assuming you cannot cross the checkpoint.

Army checkpoint near Sai Noi beach

I have always been told that this hill is a secret location for a certain female V.I.P. high up the food chain to play some cards. Curious to know if anyone knows why the army is there otherwise.
I've had a look at the Google Maps satellite image and cannot see any infrastructure.

Although if there is any truth in the secret cave one would not see from above... :idea:

GN.
I've always been told by my partner that it's Royal owned land and that's why the checkpoint is there.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I followed BB's example and did the walk this morning. Very pleasant and nice to sit down at the Coffee Shop/Bistro for an iced coffee. Incidentally, I've never been there before but their menu looks quite interesting.
The walk did make me realise how unfit I am. A couple of 'park benches' along the route wouldn't go amiss.
The fishing signs are in Thai but shows a fish and a hook. The times are 0500 - 0800 and 1600 - 1900. Not sure whether they are windows when you can fish or when you can't.

As far as I know, the land beyond the army checkpoint is Royal and I could expand on that but not in open forum!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't get back as soon as I'd hoped, but returned this evening. As promised, I photographed the fishing notices.

The first near the statue plinth in the lake, which is strictly no fishing.:
DSC01889.jpg
DSC01889.jpg (150.3 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
The 2nd, as HHTel rightly said is restricted fishing hours i.e. no fishing between 05:00 to 08:00 and 16:00 to 19:00.
DSC01881.jpg
DSC01881.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Of course TIT, and there were plenty fishing at 17:45 today :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

The girlfriend and I walked the lap at twilight, after a perfect meal at S.Ken’s Bistro. Very pleasant evening. Heard lots of fish splashing, but never actually saw any, nor any turtles.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually saw my first definite 'decent sized' fish swimming in the lake today. On my previous visit, I spotted a small terrapin.

I also saw somebody catch a small eel from the lake today (about 15") - I think this is the first eel I've seen caught in Thailand. I used to hate catching the horrible slimy things in the UK, but it was OK on somebody else's line :laugh:

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@BB The no fishing sign with times in your photo specifies "in this area". So, unless the area is properly delineated, people may well honestly assume that "this area" is literally the area in front of the sign itself.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Those signs were present all the way around the lake at regular intervals. Likewise there were occasional signs at lesser intervals stating no access to motor cycles or bicycles. To assume the signs mean "this area" is literally the area in front of the sign itself, is a bit like assuming speed restriction signposts mean the section of road directly adjacent to the road sign.

I think we know that is rubbish, but yes, some people may wish to argue that. It makes no difference,, it is highly unlikely Thailand's police will try to stop them. Hence my, "Of course TIT, and there were plenty fishing."

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The times listed are normal morning and evening fish feeding times. Perhaps fear the stock would be wiped out if too much fishing during those hours.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

speed restriction signposts mean the section of road directly adjacent to the road sign.
:lach: Love it!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
speed restriction signposts mean the section of road directly adjacent to the road sign.
:lach: Love it!
You mean that isn't the case? They certainly don't seem to apply to the rest of the road.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I saw something I'd never seen on my walks yesterday and today. The waterfall at the end of the lake.
20201022_103313.jpg
20201022_103313.jpg (91.6 KiB) Viewed 878 times

Points 51; Position 21
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Hmmm - nor have I seen that before. Fresh water? Has a spring "sprung"?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it's actually rainwater after the last few weeks draining from above. When up close, the flow down the rocks is very shallow, and nowhere near the same effect, but from the North end of the lake it looks spectacular.

Points 51; Position 21
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

That’s a great shot BB, possibly a 1 in 100 year shot.

Looking at the rocks there, water clearly has flowed over there in years gone by....a many number of times.

One a many of mother nature’s secrets rarely revealed right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Anyone know if its allowed to swim (for exercise now when most pools are closed) in the lake and eventually if the water is reasonable clean?
Thank you
hahuahin