Lady drink prices but not for 'Ladies'

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Lady drink prices but not for 'Ladies'

Post by thecolonel »

I witnessed something last night in a bar I will not name

A guy bought a drink for two ladies who definitely did not work in the bar

But he was charged full on lady drink prices

As it happens ONE of the ladies is going to work in the bar very soon that that's kind of understandable.

But the other girl was merely a fairly irregular customer who is happily married and was just playing pool.

What's the deal here guys? Is that normal or bad form? I don't know.... genuinely interested. Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Lady drink prices but not for 'Ladies'

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:30 pm I witnessed something last night in a bar I will not name

As it happens ONE of the ladies is going to work in the bar very soon that that's kind of understandable.

But the other girl was merely a fairly irregular customer who is happily married and was just playing pool.

What's the deal here guys? Is that normal or bad form? I don't know.... genuinely interested. Thanks

Bad form. The customer is being blatently stolen from and, if it were me, I would never set foot in that bar again.

Can't stand petty thieves!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:30 pm I witnessed something last night in a bar I will not name

Bad form. The customer is being blatently stolen from and, if it were me, I would never set foot in that bar again.

Thanks Lost. I wasn't sure if it was the Ladies who told the bar to do this or the bar just did it anyways.

Also I recalled after my post that once a binta bar girl joined me on a walk to the Hilton hotel. She basically invited herself along for a drink. We sat outside and I ordered a beer. She then had a *long* conversation with the waiter in ordering her drink. I smelt a rat then.

The bill came and her orange juice was 250 baht. A row then ensued and I recall I go the bill reduced.

But I'm sure she said something like.... "give me a small juice for 50 baht and then we'll split the 200... 50/50."

I never liked her anyway!

But I wondering if there are 'floater' ladies who try for Lady drinks in certain bars??

uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Girls who are not on the payroll of a bar may nevertheless have an account as a freelancer. This is not at all uncommon.

Some girls have accounts at several bars.

When a girl has an account, she gets a kickback for every drink bought for her.

If they charged a lady drink price for a farang lady, that would be different..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

uncle tom wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm Girls who are not on the payroll of a bar may nevertheless have an account as a freelancer. This is not at all uncommon.
If she was a freelancer, she wouldn't be 'happily married' as the op has stated.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

:shock: Quite a few years ago I went to a bar on bintablock with my girlfriend at the time, her sister and a couple of female cousins. When the inflated bill arrived, I obviously questioned it. I was informed that I was charged for lady drinks. When I pointed out that the girls and I had come in together, the reply was "Well they're still ladies, aren't they?" Can't beat that for logic........................... :shock: :twisted:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Moral of the story; Don't drink with 'ladies" in those types of bars.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

If she was a freelancer, she wouldn't be 'happily married' as the op has stated.
It is not mandatory for bar girls to have sex with customers.

There was one exceptionally pretty one around for a few years in Bintabaht (not on parade at the moment, but around last year) who would take drinks off anyone, but would only go with her boyfriend.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thats perfectly true, and useful to know, but is a side point to my main point(and almost begs a separate question... What % of guys would buy a drink for a bar girl if they knew in advance there was zero chance of sex?! Very few I'd say).

My somewhat similar point was bars charging for lady drinks when they are not even bar 'staff' and in one extreme horrific case above... was his own girlfriend and her family! WTF...

If you're charged a Lady drink price surely that's what you're paying for ie an opportunity to solicit her services. She may so no, that's understood, but at least it should be discussed and subject to agreeable terms. In effect you're paying for a seat at the negotiating table. How can this be the case if she doesn't even work there?!

The other interesting point about this incident was that those two girls did not ask for a drink, it was offered by the customer. Ie he thought they were customers. Point being if the girls had asked him for a drink, he then has a strong idea that they work there and it will be lady drink prices.

It seems to me that the moral of this story should be.... buyer needs to be very VERY clear in advance with cashier/bar owner re the price of a drink for *any* lady(other than perhaps a farang).

A bit like getting on a motorbike taxi/Tuk Tuk.... if you haven't agreed the price beforehand then they will quite likely try and rip you off. Always agree the price first.

Had that have been me(buying those drinks) I would definitely have strongly questioned it and let my feelings be known. Maybe they just tried it on to see if they got away with it?

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:55 am Thats perfectly true, and useful to know, but is a side point to my main point(and almost begs a separate question... What % of guys would buy a drink for a bar girl if they knew in advance there was zero chance of sex?! Very few I'd say).

My somewhat similar point was bars charging for lady drinks when they are not even bar 'staff' and in one extreme horrific case above... was his own girlfriend and her family! WTF...

If you're charged a Lady drink price surely that's what you're paying for ie an opportunity to solicit her services. She may so no, that's understood, but at least it should be discussed and subject to agreeable terms. In effect you're paying for a seat at the negotiating table. How can this be the case if she doesn't even work there?!

The other interesting point about this incident was that those two girls did not ask for a drink, it was offered by the customer. Ie he thought they were customers. Point being if the girls had asked him for a drink, he then has a strong idea that they work there and it will be lady drink prices.

It seems to me that the moral of this story should be.... buyer needs to be very VERY clear in advance with cashier/bar owner re the price of a drink for *any* lady(other than perhaps a farang).

A bit like getting on a motorbike taxi/Tuk Tuk.... if you haven't agreed the price beforehand then they will quite likely try and rip you off. Always agree the price first.

Had that have been me(buying those drinks) I would definitely have strongly questioned it and let my feelings be known. Maybe they just tried it on to see if they got away with it?

:agree:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Colonel...was the bar you are referring to on Soi 80?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:Colonel...was the bar you are referring to on Soi 80?
No. Bintablock area in town but I won't name it.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Lost wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 pmBad form. The customer is being blatently stolen from and, if it were me, I would never set foot in that bar again.

My thoughts also, and wouldn't be a repeat customer ... :cheers: