Air Conditioners Daikin VS Trane

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Air Conditioners Daikin VS Trane

Post by bigston »

Hello experts,
We will be having a few new Air Conditioners installed and are being led down the path of either having installed
Daikin or Trane brands
I would appreciate anyone's comments on either, if you have them, or know of someone who does
specifically,for being QUIET, and effecient
i guess most of the inverter ones are way better than the older versions
The other one that pops up is Mitsubishi, are they any better..
Thanks.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Air Conditioners Daikin VS Trane

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:10 am Hello experts,
We will be having a few new Air Conditioners installed and are being led down the path of either having installed
Daikin or Trane brands
I would appreciate anyone's comments on either, if you have them, or know of someone who does
specifically,for being QUIET, and effecient
i guess most of the inverter ones are way better than the older versions
The other one that pops up is Mitsubishi, are they any better..
Thanks.
They are yet to be installed but I have recently bought Daikin AC‘s on the basis of them being quiet, as well as reliable - hopefully they will prove to be the right choice!!
858AF6F1-CB52-4295-8113-9291EC761679.jpeg
858AF6F1-CB52-4295-8113-9291EC761679.jpeg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 704 times
8587AB10-4054-4CCA-9986-74E6A876B6F6.jpeg
8587AB10-4054-4CCA-9986-74E6A876B6F6.jpeg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 704 times
1333EB35-0FD5-45E3-A1B6-C05695711C3C.jpeg
1333EB35-0FD5-45E3-A1B6-C05695711C3C.jpeg (21.89 KiB) Viewed 704 times
FAC935C9-5A9A-415D-9965-86158AF9EA17.jpeg
FAC935C9-5A9A-415D-9965-86158AF9EA17.jpeg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nothing wrong with Daikin or Trane, except that Trane tends to be more of a "commercial" type and therefore probably more expensive. No idea about noise between any of them. Mitsubishi are cheaper, but some of them are now made here and may be lacking in quality control. Not sure if it is still the case, but there are / were two types of Mitsubishi;
Mitsubishi Electric(best), and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries(to be avoided)
Considered to be Cheap Air Conditioning The price is not very high, but high quality. Mitsubishi Electric Is Air conditioner A few brands that guarantee the internal unit (cold coil) to 3 years and have no air leak. Mitsubishi Electric Mr. Slim Warranty for Compressor Air conditioning. Another 5 years
Insist on an "inverter" type with any of them.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Have 6 Mitisubshi Inverter units in house and pleased. Had Daikin in Condo in BKK and it was good also. Can't go wrong with either brand.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks, seems Daikin are the go
where did you source from Dannie Boy
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:02 pm Thanks, seems Daikin are the go
where did you source from Dannie Boy
From the guy who is fitting them - he came recommended by my wife’s family and travelled to Bangkok to buy them as he said they are cheaper in Bangkok than bought locally. If you need someone to supply and fit I can provide you with his details
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree with all of this. We installed Trane units when we built the house, and they sounded like jet aircraft taking off while running. That was 12 years ago so hopefully Trane's technology has gotten better. Been with Daikin exclusively ever since we replaced those original units.

One observation, inverter unit purchase price was considerably more expensive than non-inverter. 20,000 Baht on a big btu unit. Our experience with the first batch of Daikin inverter units was that they broke down more often than usual and parts were expensive when out of warranty. We have non-inverter now and I see little difference with electricity bills, and they most certainly don't require the TLC the inverter units did. So, it comes down to personal choice and balancing purchase price against possibly increased electricity bills, and the possibility that Daikin inverter technology is better now than in our experience of 8-9 years ago.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think we all know that you could write my technical knowledge on the back of a postage stamp, and still have plenty of room left.

I need to ask, is there really any advantage in Daikin, Trane or any other type of air conditioner unit. We have units from 3 different manufacturers (Samsung, LG and Electrolux), and we've been using them regularly for nearly 8 years. I have them serviced once a year and have never had a problem.

The OP is set on Daikin or Trane - what are the advantages over the likes of Samsung, LG or Electrolux please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 pm I think we all know that you could write my technical knowledge on the back of a postage stamp, and still have plenty of room left.

I need to ask, is there really any advantage in Daikin, Trane or any other type of air conditioner unit. We have units from 3 different manufacturers (Samsung, LG and Electrolux), and we've been using them regularly for nearly 8 years. I have them serviced once a year and have never had a problem.

The OP is set on Daikin or Trane - what are the advantages over the likes of Samsung, LG or Electrolux please?
Just like cars, air cons are constructed from many parts made by factories that just make a particular part. And just like car parts, some manufactures use different quality materials. Some factories will have good quality control over the manufacturing process, others not so much. The same applies to the brand name factories that buy in the various parts and assemble them into a saleable unit.

Then there is the scale of the manufacturing factories, especially with consumer / household equipment. Brands such as Daikin and Trane are more geared up to manufacturing bigger commercial equipment, so their process is probably better controlled as they are aiming at that market. The cheaper brands may use the same compressors as Daikin for example, but the cabinet may be cheap plastic and the controls much more basic and therefore cheaper.

A lot of it probably comes down to price for one thing, and then how well the particular brand name is known to the majority of consumers as another. "Oh my Mother always had Electrolux appliances, so they must be good"!

If you need an air con just to use for a few hours at night, you are probably just as well off buying a cheaper unit. If you are buying one to use in a business office or shop, you may want to spend a bit more for a better quality unit.

The same probably applies to the inverter types. It depends on how you intend to use them, but they are defiantly cheaper to operate and from my experience, quieter in operation.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Power Buy have a free of charge and very extensive and informative air conditioners guide book. It contains some very good technical info on most models available and recommended prices.You will probably find the sales people will have to dig one out for as they obviously will be pushing their pet products.
We recently settled on a Mitsubishi Electric inverter model based on some extensive research.The Mitsubishi Heavy Industries brand rates even better but are harder to find.
The unit we got is amazingly quiet . Purchased it from Big Kiang, price seemed reasonable but the bonus was they had a bunch of guys turn up within an hour to install it. They did a reasonable job of it too
Complexity is so simply overrated
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Mitsubishi fan (non-inverter), and no problems, 2 houses (owned) 7 units, over 5 & 7 yrs use, and 2 rentals using same over 19 yr period, and all Mitsubishi.

Notice most hotels I frequent use the same.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I faced the same decision 3 years ago to replace several old units, researched / priced extensively and finally selected Daikin inverter. I don’t recall all my decision reasons but my top choices were Daikin and Mitsubishi. I measured my rooms, identified the unit model number recommended for the size of each room and window configuration layout, then purchased the next size larger than the recommended unit for each room size. I found that Homepro was a couple hundred baht cheaper on one model, while Big Kiang was a couple hundred baht cheaper on another model. Both offered “free” installation, I think they all do. Bluport had excellent English language sales materials and staff, I learned a lot there, but prices were significantly higher. I decided to buy them all from Homepro so as to only deal with a single installation contractor. I was extremely pleased with all aspects of the sales and installation experiences. I do my own semi-annual cleaning, indoor filter screens and outdoor heat exchangers, but will probably hire a professional “deep cleaning” and coolant check / recharge this next year. My units are quiet and trouble free 3 years later. I’m very pleased that I upsized the units to provide more btu capacity than absolutely required for each room size, while the larger btu models are a little bit more money, when I turn it on to cool a room down the desired effect is very quick and efficient.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the explanation Nereus. As I said, we have 3 different manufacturers, and there is nothing to choose between them. They all do exactly what we ask of them, and all are trouble free. Yes, usage is low, with the hardest working unit getting maybe 8 hours use a day. The others are much lower.

I wish I'd known about the Power Buy booklet earlier. As deepee says, the sales staff push their particular product, which is a pet hate of mine when trying to buy something in Thailand. When I bought the Electrolux unit, I was new to Thailand and totally duped by the young lad's apparent extensive knowledge that I wondered why anybody could consider buying anything else.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I am far from being an expert but what I have been told by independent repairers and fitters is that Samsung have problems with their the fan units as the main component is aluminium, which doesn't cope well with the heat here and are more prone to gas leaks.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:32 am I am far from being an expert but what I have been told by independent repairers and fitters is that Samsung have problems with their the fan units as the main component is aluminium, which doesn't cope well with the heat here and are more prone to gas leaks.
Both copper aluminium are used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems. In household type split systems you may find that the only copper in use is the tubing between the indoor and out door units. Copper is much better but a lot more expensive than aluminium, so Al will almost certainly be used in the cheaper units. Aluminium is much more easily damaged when cleaning, and I suspect that is more of the problem than heat.

It is near on impossible to weld when used in this context, as compared to simple gas welding with copper. To be honest, I doubt very much if the average home type air conditioner "technician", OR salesman, would know one from the other when it is used inside either the indoor or outdoor parts.

The following has useful information:

https://bestproduct.in/air-conditioners ... enser-coil