Sam Roi Yod Wetlands

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
lomuamart

Sam Roi Yod Wetlands

Post by lomuamart »

We've got a couple of family members visiting HH for a few days later this week and they seem interested in the above wetlands. I went there with friends a few years ago and all the bird life was interesting.

However, I've read on a National Parks website that the whole boardwalk is now closed due to disrepair. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If we're not able to walk out into the wetlands, there seems little point in going as that's where the birds are.

We'll probably still go down there and visit Phraya Nakon cave anyway. Lokking at your report last year, Big Boy, it would appear that the walk over the hill and then the climb up to the cave is the way to go rather than taking a long tail boat. Is that what you'd recommend? Our visitors are in their mid 30s and fit.
Big Boy

Re: Sam Roi Yod Wetlands

Post by Big Boy »

Absolutely, Try to time it to be in the cave no later than 10:30. Viewing the Pavillion whilst the sun is shining on it is much better.

If they get there a bit late, maybe the long tail boat one way.

Make sure they wear good footwear. I'd imagine it will be a bit slippy at the moment. I use a strong stick to steady myself in places as well.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Have read the same, on a couple sites. Quick search on TA, and still seems to be the case: "Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile
Only half the boardwalk is opened (the rest is closed due to disrepair) but its still a sight to behold. Totally enjoyed my trip there."

Current Gmap review verifying the same.

Another TA review implying they took a boat out to the one of the gazebos to set for a while.

Was up that way last week, and gave it a pass for that reason. Posted some photos on Bird of Thailand thread recently, and the 8th & 9th / grouping of birds, actually 3 times as many in the group shot, was taken from behind Sam Phraya beach park. Nephew was camping and why we visited, only charged 40 baht vs the usually 200 for whity's admission, using pink ID, though TBH, wasn't worth 40 baht if nephew wasn't there.

Though those photos and bird shots can be had from just about any wet area.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the comments. We may well go along to the wetlands and see what's left of the boardwalk.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:24 pm ,,, it would appear that the walk over the hill and then the climb up to the cave is the way to go rather than taking a long tail boat. Is that what you'd recommend? Our visitors are in their mid 30s and fit.
Is there a bar for you to sit in, lomu...? :laugh:
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If I'm not driving, there better be.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The essential hiker's companion...........

phpqx8bn7PM.jpg
phpqx8bn7PM.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The beach between the 2 hills has a bar/restaurant - just be careful you pay for what you have, My son and a few friends used it a few months back. and their bill did not resemble what they'd bought. The guy in charge could not understand why they wouldn't pay the bill anyway.

Plenty of opportunity for alcohol when you get back to the base camp car park.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A brief current experience by a revisiting Thai writer.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social ... s-blossoms
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source