2019 Vehicles You Can Still Get With A Stick Shift

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

2019 Vehicles You Can Still Get With A Stick Shift

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps of interest to some. Probably very few available here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzela ... 9241923ee7

Small Cars

Chevrolet Sonic
Chevrolet Spark
Ford Fiesta
Honda Civic Sedan (LX, Sport, Si)
Honda Civic Hatchback (Sport, Type R)
Honda Fit (LX, Sport, EX)
Hyundai Accent (SE)
Hyundai Elantra (SE, Sport)
Hyundai Elantra GT
Kia Forte (FE)
Kia Soul (Base)
Mini Cooper Clubman
Mini Cooper Hardtop/Coupe/Convertible
Mitsubishi Mirage (ES)
Nissan Sentra (S, NISMO)
Nissan Versa (S sedan)
Subaru Impreza (2.0i, 2.0i Sport)
Subaru WRX/STI
Toyota Corolla (SE)
Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Toyota Yaris (L, LE)
Volkswagen Golf/GTI/R/Sportwagen/Alltrack
Volkswagen Jetta (S)

Midsize Cars

Honda Accord (Sport, Sport 2.0T)
Mazda6 (Sport)

Sporty Cars

BMW 230i Coupe (RWD)
BMW 430i Coupe (RWD)
BMW 440i Coupe
BMW M2 Coupe
BMW M240i
BMW M4
BMW M6 Gran Coupe
Cadillac ATS-V Coupe
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Challenger (R/T and Hellcat)
Fiat 124 Spider
Fiat 500
Ford Mustang
Genesis G70 (2.0-liter RWD)
Honda Civic Coupe (Sport, Si)
Hyundai Veloster (2.0, Turbo, Turbo R-Spec, N)
Jaguar F-Type (Base V6 RWD, R-Dynamic RWD)
Lotus Evora
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Nissan 370Z
Porsche 718 Boxster
Porsche 718 Cayman
Porsche 911 (except Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 RS)
Subaru BRZ
Toyota 86

Sport-Utility Vehicles

500X (Pop FWD)
Jeep Compass (Sport, 4WD Latitude)
Jeep Wrangler (V6)
Mini Cooper Countryman (except S FWD and SE AWD)
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (ES 2.0 FWD)
Subaru Crosstrek (Base, Premium)

Midsize Pickup Trucks

Chevrolet Colorado (Base/Work Truck 2.5-liter RWD Extended Cab)
GMC Canyon (SL/Canyon 2.5-liter RWD Extended Cab)
Nissan Frontier (King Cab: S RWD, SV RWD; Crew Cab: S RWD, SV 4WD, Pro-4X)
Toyota Tacoma (SR V6, TRD, TRD Sport Double Cab 4WD)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: 2019 Vehicles You Can Still Get With A Stick Shift

Post by lindosfan1 »

It is not a stick shift, it is a gear lever. :banghead: :duck:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

This list is pathetic, Fords,Peugeot, renault, vauxhall, citroen and may other makes still produce cars with gear levers.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The article is from Forbes so I imagine it's focused primarily on vehicles available in the USA. They do mention European models but as you say, not a complete list.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:35 am This list is pathetic, Fords,Peugeot, renault, vauxhall, citroen and may other makes still produce cars with gear levers.
The list above comes from the Forbes website - it’s American so presumably is a list of cars available in their market - and they use the term “Stick Shift” rather than “Gear Stick or Gear Lever”
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I am sorry to see so many! It is time all cars were only made with automatic gearboxes. 99% of drivers are not capable of using a manual gearbox properly. This results in bad acceleration away from lights and the use of much, much more fuel. The figures shown in brochures comparing automatic to manual can only be achieved when a top expert is driving the manual.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:26 am It is not a stick shift, it is a gear lever. :banghead: :duck:
Actually it's automatic transmission vs manual transmission. In the UK we usually refer to a 'manual gearbox'.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

I think you will find a manual gearbox gives better Mph than the auto box.As for 99% of drvers unable to use a manual box a little over the top in the uk if you pass your test in a auto illegal to drive a manual
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HarryVardon wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 am I am sorry to see so many! It is time all cars were only made with automatic gearboxes. 99% of drivers are not capable of using a manual gearbox properly. This results in bad acceleration away from lights and the use of much, much more fuel. The figures shown in brochures comparing automatic to manual can only be achieved when a top expert is driving the manual.
I would suggest that those drivers who accelerate hard, would do so irrespective of whether the car has a manual or automatic gearbox, so no fuel saving.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've driven manuals for virtually my whole life but my partner has a Honda with a CVT automatic and it's pretty impressive to drive. The days of open road driving that you might get any pleasure out of are over for most, so I'm starting to see the benefits, manually changing gear hundreds of times to crawl along in traffic jams is a futile activity and some modern automatics are very good compared with those of the past.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:59 pm I've driven manuals for virtually my whole life but my partner has a Honda with a CVT automatic and it's pretty impressive to drive. The days of open road driving that you might get any pleasure out of are over for most, so I'm starting to see the benefits, manually changing gear hundreds of times to crawl along in traffic jams is a futile activity and some modern automatics are very good compared with those of the past.
I have both, and with regards to modern automatics, you can "manually" change gear in many of them - manually shift on the gearstick, or shift on "paddles" at the wheel.

Obviously dependent on how you drive, modern automatics are in general more economic than manuals. Commonly 7-Speed 'boxes and designed to run in high gear (i.e lower revs - better economy).

As to availability of manuals, this report is obviously based on the US market - there's certainly a prevalence of manual transmissions in Europe. I think it's still the case that you pay a premium for automatic transmission (in europe/UK), but I stand to be corrected.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm
STEVE G wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:59 pm I've driven manuals for virtually my whole life but my partner has a Honda with a CVT automatic and it's pretty impressive to drive. The days of open road driving that you might get any pleasure out of are over for most, so I'm starting to see the benefits, manually changing gear hundreds of times to crawl along in traffic jams is a futile activity and some modern automatics are very good compared with those of the past.
I have both, and with regards to modern automatics, you can "manually" change gear in many of them - manually shift on the gearstick, or shift on "paddles" at the wheel.

Obviously dependent on how you drive, modern automatics are in general more economic than manuals. Commonly 7-Speed 'boxes and designed to run in high gear (i.e lower revs - better economy).

As to availability of manuals, this report is obviously based on the US market - there's certainly a prevalence of manual transmissions in Europe. I think it's still the case that you pay a premium for automatic transmission (in europe/UK), but I stand to be corrected.

:cheers: :cheers:
No you’re correct, in the UK at least, an automatic transmission will typically add about £1500 to the price of a new car.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Seems only the entry level trucks here are manual transmission. And the only thing that has kept me for buying one. Anything else, and has options & a price tag, I don't need or want. 500-600k baht for the overpriced Thai made crap they sell here is bad enough.

It's a machine that takes me from point A to point B.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

The reason most drivers use more fuel, accelerate badly and take corners very badly when driving a car with a manual gearbox is that they change gear at the wrong time and are often in the wrong gear. I have sat with many drivers who have been driving in a manual for many, many years but they have never learned to change gear at the right moment and quite often don't know what gear they should be using. As a further point many drivers coast with the clutch depressed when they should be "in gear".
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HarryVardon wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm The reason most drivers use more fuel, accelerate badly and take corners very badly when driving a car with a manual gearbox is that they change gear at the wrong time and are often in the wrong gear. I have sat with many drivers who have been driving in a manual for many, many years but they have never learned to change gear at the right moment and quite often don't know what gear they should be using. As a further point many drivers coast with the clutch depressed when they should be "in gear".
You are correct HV, I think that many of these are drivers who learned to drive in a four speed car and seem to be oblivious to the fact that many cars now have 5 or 6 gears - my earlier comment related to the “first away from the traffic light” syndrome, who will accelerate at full throttle irrespective of the transmission type.