Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Re: Low carb and Keto eating

Post by buksida »

timuphill wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:36 pm On soi 88 there is a new Ketohouse.. that sell low carb and Keto products.
THey are great for people who try to lose weight and avoid sugar.
This is their FB. https://www.facebook.com/KetoHouseHuaHin/
Just as an update, this place has now closed down.

Never really saw anyone in there during our visits as most products were geared to the Bangkok hi-sos who wouldn't blink at spending 200 baht for a croissant with no sugar in it and 120 baht for a bottle of flavored sugar-free water!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by Big Boy »

I'm new to this Keto thing, but Mrs BB needs Keto products to make her food interesting after a recent medical scare. I was told they have plenty of Keto sauces readily available in both Lotus's and Big C. I must say, I didn't believe them.

I've just come back from Lotus's and sure enough, they have a complete section dedicated to Keto Thai Sauces, and yes, a little more expensive (not outrageous), and they had everything my wife needs. I thought it was going to be very difficult/expensive meeting her needs. I'm very pleased with myself.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

"Keto sauces" are identical to any other sauce, the only difference being they're not loaded with sugar.

Lazada has a lot of Keto products also which is where ours are sourced.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Most likely. Don't forget, I am totally new to this game. I was just shocked that they were readily available at Lotus's, which I hate since Tesco pulled out.

Points 48; Position 20
timuphill
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timuphill »

Breakfast is easy: Bacon, Eggs and some vegetables. No OJ, it's pure sugar.
Blueport I eat in Wine Connection restaurant, next to Starbucks, and order a hamburger without bun and fries and they give a nice salad with it. I do the same in some other restaurants.
Also in Blueport, there's a Donner kebab restaurant. Kebab with salad... cheap and tasty. They may use MGM?
At Market Village Santa Fe Stake restaurant is great... not expensive at all and the fries or other carbs that they serve are in very small portions. A few fries are not going to hurt you. Near Santa Fe, there is a coffee shop: Milk Land, they have a lot of different keto cakes etc.
Also, in MV there's a good old Sizzler salad bar and downstairs there's a Donner Kebab available.
Barn Khun Poo outdoor area there's a good rib restaurant.Ribs with a small coleslaw
And of course, there are a ton of very nice restaurants in all the hotels where you can order whatever you desire.
I tend to feel better if I also have enough slow carbs.. salad, and vegetables.
timuphill
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timuphill »

PS I forgot that at blue port supermarket there's a very nice salad bar that normally has Tuna, Salmon, and Chicken so that you can get your protein also.
And they have a grill that will cook anything you may find in the supermarket... You hunt they will cook it.. good for stakes etc.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

I have been to Keto Hua Hin a few times. Resturant and store. Off the beaten track but worth it if you want keto.
ครัวชฎาแก้ว 28/158 Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110, Thailand use google maps.
12.583352, 99.941525
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:06 am I'm new to this Keto thing, but Mrs BB needs Keto products to make her food interesting after a recent medical scare. I was told they have plenty of Keto sauces readily available in both Lotus's and Big C. I must say, I didn't believe them.

I've just come back from Lotus's and sure enough, they have a complete section dedicated to Keto Thai Sauces, and yes, a little more expensive (not outrageous), and they had everything my wife needs. I thought it was going to be very difficult/expensive meeting her needs. I'm very pleased with myself.
Is it marked or does one has to hunt high and low ?
Is it among the other sauces ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Definitely not marked. The brand I actually bought was Life because they had larger bottles, and Life branded sauces are only found in that section. However, all of the sauces, regardless of brand, in the same section as the Life brand were Keto friendly. Sorry, an around about way of telling you, but there was no signage indicating Keto, and the word Keto only appears in Thai (คีโต) on most of the bottles.
life.jpg
life.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 34662 times

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The word "Keto" is a fad in Thailand and a way for producers to overprice their products.

You should look at the sugar content of drinks, sauces, food, etc., and pick the ones with zero sugar which are likely to be "Keto friendly" (as long as they're not loaded with carbs!)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I wasn't looking for Keto for any reason other than the fact my wife's diet needs to be as sugar free as possible. I suppose we were told to look for Keto because of the low or zero sugar content.

We can easily achieve a sugar free diet, but she says food is tasteless without the Thai sauces she's had all of her life. These products seem to fit the bill i.e. this morning's blood check was perfect. As I said in my earlier post, I was expecting to pay an arm and a leg for these products, but any price hike was surprisingly negligible. To simplify household cooking, we'll all start using the same (as other sauces run out).

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 pm The word "Keto" is a fad in Thailand and a way for producers to overprice their products.

You should look at the sugar content of drinks, sauces, food, etc., and pick the ones with zero sugar which are likely to be "Keto friendly" (as long as they're not loaded with carbs!)
Thanks, that's what I usually do, I look at the amount of net carb and of sugar
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:31 pm Definitely not marked. The brand I actually bought was Life because they had larger bottles, and Life branded sauces are only found in that section. However, all of the sauces, regardless of brand, in the same section as the Life brand were Keto friendly. Sorry, an around about way of telling you, but there was no signage indicating Keto, and the word Keto only appears in Thai (คีโต) on most of the bottles.

life.jpg
:thanks: will look it up next time I'm in Lotus's
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Anyone know where I can get allulose?
Keto Hua Hin has closed the shop.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

m_right wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 pm Anyone know where I can get allulose?
Keto Hua Hin has closed the shop.
iHerb and Lazada
I oder erythritol from Lazada and it's delivered the next day so maybe the same for allulose