Hong Kong Express - Odd Online Booking Experience

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Hong Kong Express - Odd Online Booking Experience

Post by Ratsima »

My daughter lives on Saipan where I spent 26 years. I plan to visit later this year. It used to be easy to travel between Bangkok and Saipan. Northwest had a particularly convenient and reasonable connection via Tokyo: US$750 rt Business Class including a free overnight stay, including meals, at their Narita hotel.

It has become much more difficult. My last few trips have involved nasty layovers in Manila and/or Guam. Currently the cheapest fares are on budget Korean airlines and involve a 12 hour layover in Seoul. A friend suggested I fly Hong Kong Express between HK and Saipan and any old airline between Bangkok and HK.

I checked HK Express and was shocked to see that the basic economy rt fare was over US$1500. It’s only about 3400K!

I checked again the next day and was surprised to see that the fare for the same trip was around $500! So, I tried to book it. Every card I tried was denied. Three US Visa cards, AmEx and a Kasikorn Web Shopping card. I decided to change currency to Thai Baht. Instead of the expected 15000 baht it was almost 45000. I switched back to US Dollars and the fare was back to the appalling $1500.

I tried again yesterday using a US based VPN. I got the $500 basic fare. I tried to buy it. All three Visa cards were rejected. But, the AmEx worked. So, I ended up paying just under $600, including the extras of baggage, seat selection, etc.

Here’s the real odd part. The receipt I got shows Pricing Currency HKD 593, Transaction Currency USD 80, 1 HKD 0.02 USD. Clearly their currency conversation is whacko. It also shows Payment total USD 593.

I’m now hoping they won’t try to renege on the deal.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Hong Kong Express - Odd Online Booking Experience

Post by migrant »

Hopefully Hong Kong will calm down before then!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.