Why stay if Hua Hin and/or Thailand is that bad?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
lomuamart

Re: Why stay if Hua Hin and/or Thailand is that bad?

Post by lomuamart »

DNA, why?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lomuamart wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:59 pmDNA, why?
He didn't mean it literally. He meant'; in order to adapt to Thailand, forget about whatever you've learned in the past about living, culture, etc. and learn what's needed here in order to fit in.

He's the ultimate adaptor. Learned Thai, married a Thai-Chinese woman and learned her father's Chinese dialect so he could talk to him.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Oasis Bar Zone

Post by handdrummer »

One day Thailand will be the subject of a tragic/comedy series.
Of all the 23 countries I've traveled in and the 8 that I've lived in, Thailand is the stupidest, per capita, country I've ever been to.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:37 pm One day Thailand will be the subject of a tragic/comedy series.
Of all the 23 countries I've traveled in and the 8 that I've lived in, Thailand is the stupidest, per capita, country I've ever been to.
Pretty harsh comment isn't it? I've also travelled to many countries through work/pleasure and found good and bad in them all (we also find in our own home countries). However, the general public seem to be the decent ones - the "Uppers" and richer in their own opinion, being lacking in compassion, thought or general IQ.....

Were you travelling to these countries or actually working/partaking in general life? As a question, what qualifies living in a country? 8 must have taken up a fair portion of your life...........

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:37 pm One day Thailand will be the subject of a tragic/comedy series.
That does beg the question "So why are you here? By choice or otherwise?"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:46 pm
Pretty harsh comment isn't it? I've also travelled to many countries through work/pleasure and found good and bad in them all (we also find in our own home countries). However, the general public seem to be the decent ones - the "Uppers" and richer in their own opinion, being lacking in compassion, thought or general IQ.....

Were you travelling to these countries or actually working/partaking in general life? As a question, what qualifies living in a country? 8 must have taken up a fair portion of your life...........

The countries that I lived in, I was working in. Yes, it did take up a fair portion of my life. 18+ yrs. of living, not counting the US.

The comment may have been harsh but that has been my experience here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:08 pm
That does beg the question "So why are you here? By choice or otherwise?"
I can no longer afford to live in the US, or move to another country. Then there's my Thai wife. Although, if money were no object, she would live in the states as long as she could return to visit her daughters.

Other places I'd like to live would be New Zealand, Cuenca, Ecuador, somewhere in Greece, possibly Denmark and a few places in Mexico. In the US there's Silver City, New Mexico, Big Sur, Calif., Asheville, N. Carolina and Pensacola, Fl. The last one is due to many friends there.

And now, back to topic before the inquisitioners sharpen there axes.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:
pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:46 pm

The countries that I lived in, I was working in. Yes, it did take up a fair portion of my life. 18+ yrs. of living, not counting the US.

The comment may have been harsh but that has been my experience here.
Just because it may have been harsh doesn't mean its not a valid or fair assesment

Nor does it mean you can't choose to live here despite that view

I for one happen to share your opinion. Stupidity is absolutely rife here, fact of life. I still choose to live here. I don't see why one statement should contradict the other.

Just my opinion

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I understand what's being said here, but...

Stupidity or lack of education because of long-standing government policy?
Are the majority of the Russian population stupid for not realising what is really going on in the world, or are they simply guilty of allowing themselves to be misled?
Trump supporters are much more stupid than your average Thai.

The UK population voted for Brexit and then for Boris Johnson. The French population are perilously close to voting for Marine le Pen. There's plenty of stupid to go round.
Just my opinion
As opposed to someone else's?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:49 pmJust my opinion
As it was mine, nothing more - nothing less.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I've got a friend who says from time to time " I'm clever but I do stupid. " Alas, very true.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:03 am The UK population voted for Brexit and then for Boris Johnson.
Yep, let's stick with Europe and reliance on Russian fuel supplies et al...... Or better still, let's get Corbyn back! :wink: :)
buksida

Post by buksida »

The level of perceived education, or lack of it, in Thailand is purely down to government policy which is driven by higher forces that are a criminal offense to discuss. If the masses were allowed access to a free and high standard level of education, they would stand up against the corruption and 1% of elites and oligarchs owning and controlling everything here. This is why educating them is not a priority and keeping them down with the militarization of society is.

As for living here, many of us simply don't have much of a choice having family commitments here now, or having invested in real estate that is pretty much unsellable. Personally, I've lived here for 24 years and know that I will make every effort to ensure I do not retire here, where it's likely I'll become even more trapped. That is unless there is a complete reversal in government policy and general outlook towards foreigners which is very unlikely to happen in my lifetime as the country morphs into China.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of plusses to living in Thailand, but the scales are slowing tipping and they have been doing so for the past few years.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I count myself as being very fortunate that I was able to buy an apartment in the UK last year, such that we can spend time in both countries, with the ability to prioritise one or the other, depending on the prevailing circumstances. This year will be our first extended stay in the UK, so it will be interesting to see how things work out.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That would be the perfect arrangement for me, 4 months per year in 3 different countries, the UK and Thailand included.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson