Smoking at home soon to be banned in Thailand

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Smoking at home soon to be banned in Thailand

Post by buksida »

Smoking at home will be considered “family violence” and punishable under a new law effective August.

The Director General of the Women’s Affairs and Family Development Department, Lertpanya Booranabandit, said on Thursday that the “Promotion of Development and Protection of the Family Institution Act B.E. 2562” has been published in the Royal Gazette and will be effective on 20 August.

Under the new law, which aims to prevent domestic violence and protect the welfare of family members, smoking at home is considered family violence due to the health and social problems it can cause.

“Smoking in the household can lead to deteriorating family relations if children and wives don’t want to be near [the smoker],” Lertpanya said. “If [the smoker] is prevented from smoking, they can be frustrated which can lead to verbal abuse and violence. Family members can also suffer from secondhand smoke.”

If a family member’s health is found to have suffered from household secondhand smoke, the smoker will be tried by the Criminal Court under the penal code and by the Central Juvenile and Family Courts for civil actions.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... om-august/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Smoking at home soon to be banned in Thailand

Post by STEVE G »

It's always been banned in my house!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Is is April Fools already? F**k! I've been in a hangover coma for 10 months!? Jesus wept!

*note to self*

Must. Stop. Drinking.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think there are many if any smokers here (farang at least) who smoke inside their house anymore. The habit for a long time has been out in the garden from what I've seen.

Of course in coming days there will be a nanny Gov. debate about what constitutes "a house". :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Perhaps farting in the house should also be banned.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I doubt it could ever be enforced..
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Very few laws are enforced in Thailand. The law generally exists so that it can be enforced if it suits.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Seems to be assuming that women don't smoke.
Talk is cheap
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:23 pm Very few laws are enforced in Thailand. The law generally exists so that it can be enforced if it suits.
Or if they can make easy tea money out of it. 🤬
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A new law coming out from damaged brains of civil servants.
buksida

Post by buksida »

‘NONSENSE LAW:’ EXPERTS QUESTION PRACTICALITY OF HOME SMOKING BAN
In the wake of a new law that classifies smoking at home as “family violence”, experts are debating whether it’s a practical measure to promote health and wellbeing.

One scholar called the law ridiculous in an interview, saying they cannot imagine children taking their parents to court for smoking indoors.

“Who would sue their father or mother? It’s a nonsense law which is impractical,” said the source who requested anonymity, citing fear of repercussions from the military government that passed the law.

The issue was discussed at a Monday symposium on pollution harm reduction organized by the Royal Society of Thailand and the National Research Council of Thailand. While some experts questioned the law’s practicality, they also argue against ignoring genuine health risks cigarette smoke can pose to children.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... oking-ban/

If these politicians really gave a shit about people's health they'd also ban burning plastics and trash in the backyard which is far more damaging that cigarette smoke.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Smoking at home in Thailand has been banned from today
The ban on smoking at home in Thailand comes into effect today. From today people can be prosecuted for “domestic abuse” by lighting up a cigarette inside a home.

People can call Family and Protection centres on 1300 to report a smoker.

According to the new law, women and children are often the recipients of second hand smoke and the new legislation and fines is designed to assist in protecting them from the harmful effects of cigarette smoke.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/sm ... from-today
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Does that law include people who live alone and smoke? Will there be a special, "Smoke Police" to go around sniffing at houses? Well, that would be easier than patrolling the roads to prevent accidents and deaths. Is this country becoming stupider or is it a continuation of the inherent stupidity?
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Being a none smoker someone has just walked passed my house with a ciggy in his mouth do I call the police.