Thai Baht hits highs, BoT to take measures

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Baht hits six year high, BoT to take measures

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 amThis is Asia, whoever takes over will soon find a way to make their fortune, and forget the 69.5 million.
Not if they have already made their fortune.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 amThis is Asia, whoever takes over will soon find a way to make their fortune, and forget the 69.5 million.
Not if they have already made their fortune.
What’s better than one fortune - two fortunes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:50 pm What’s better than one fortune - two fortunes!!
The Times they are a changing.

The current crop of protesters and young political activists don't need the money.

Vorani talked of the idealism when studying abroad, all the wealthy young Thais discussung how they would change Thailand and it's pollitical ills when they returned. But when they came back, they went straight into their families businesses and that was that.

But Vorani didn't. He stayed true to his ideals, despite the threats and harrassment. There are many more Vorani's now.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 pm The current crop of protesters and young political activists don't need the money.
Not sure where you get that from, most of the protesters are regular high school kids - not international school hi-sos that don't care about the cause and definitely don't need the money.

Either way, this thread is about the strong baht ... :offtopic:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

KBank sees diminished baht
Kasikornbank (KBank) forecasts the baht will weaken further against the US dollar by June this year because of dividend repatriation by foreign investors and the country's lower current account surplus.

For May 17-21, dividend payments of SET-listed companies are expected to exceed 18.7 billion baht, while the following week the amount is estimated at 6.53 billion. Repatriation of these dividends will continue to pressure baht depreciation, said KBank.

Dividend payments by listed companies on the Stock Exchange of Thailand are scheduled from March to May this year, while dividend repatriation of offshore companies peaked at 20.6 billion baht from April 19-23 this year.

Kobsidthi Silpachai, KBank's head of capital markets research, said the bank predicts the local currency to decline to 31.1 baht against the dollar by the end of June this year.

In addition, Thailand's current account surplus has declined from US$38.2 billion in December of 2019 to $3.90 billion in March of this year, pressuring a weakening baht.

With a lack of foreign tourist spending because of the pandemic, Thailand's current account surplus continued to decline.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ished-baht

Happy days
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not real good for Thailand but a silver lining for us expats. The title of the thread doesn't fit any more with GBP settling above 44.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The thread is about the THB strength, this is the one about GBP - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9497 (not all of us are dependent on sterling :wink: ).

The baht has been overvalued for years - even during the pandemic and economic collapse, it has barely blipped against other currencies. Something is clearly afoot.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The thread is about the THB strength,
I know that. I used GBP as an example of the weakening baht. I could have picked pretty much any major currency and as you say, it's about THB strength which of course doesn't match the current content.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Nice positive trend on the USD vs THB. Hoping $1 will soon = 34thb.
Great for those transferring $ into Thai accounts.
:thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ginjaninja wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:16 pm Nice positive trend on the USD vs THB. Hoping $1 will soon = 34thb.
Great for those transferring $ into Thai accounts.
:thumb:
Depending on the rate when your $ is transferred to Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lol. Just posted this on another thread:

A little off topic but it reminds me of the losses you can suffer holding money in Thai baht. When the British Embassy discontinued income letters, I opted to place 800,000 baht in the bank. At the time that cost me around £22K. That cash now (which has gleaned 8,000 baht in interest) if it was to be changed back into GBP is worth £17K+. A loss of close to £5K.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I deposited my 800,000 baht in 2011 it cost the equivalent of approx £16k, but if I had to change it back now I would get close to £17,800 - a nice little earner!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's all about timing and foretelling the future, DB.
For example if you'd cashed in 2 or 3 years later, you would have lost a couple of thousand. Fortunately for you the baht weakened in the long term.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was simply highlighting the fact that the exchange rates, like share prices, go up and down - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk