Perforated Drainage Pipes

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Perforated Drainage Pipes

Post by fft100 »

I am looking for flexible drainage pipe. Rigid drainage pipe would probably be ok, but the plan is to lay it in a French drain under a garden path and it would be nice if the path could meander a bit. The French drain, as I understand it, will be about 12 inches deep. A couple of inches of aggregate/large gravel, with the pipe (100mm) on top with 6 inches of large aggregate/gravel/stones on top of that. It seems easier to make a gravel/stone path on top for both good drainage and ease of maintenance.

Yes, I could make my own rigid perforated pipe but proper drainage pipe has lots of holes with less chance of dirt getting into the pipe. In Europe and elsewhere drainage pipe is quite common. Anyone seen any in Hua Hin ?

In total

Thanks.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Perforated Drainage Pipes

Post by brianks »

I have a picture of the drain pipe your talking about. 4m long and 4" diameter with slits cut all around it. Not flexible as I used it for a soak-a-way field for my clogged septic tanks soak away tank. Could send a picture of it if I had your email address. Send email address in private reply and I will send you the picture. I can't figure out how to upload photo.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

5a7c1419d1f42_BuriramThailandslottedFrenchDrainageflexiblepipe.jpg.d7d13b7ceaed21b7f042a4331692424b.jpg
5a7c1419d1f42_BuriramThailandslottedFrenchDrainageflexiblepipe.jpg.d7d13b7ceaed21b7f042a4331692424b.jpg (139.06 KiB) Viewed 774 times
This stuff is made in Thailand, but finding it is a different matter. Photo from Buriram Hardware, and the owner speaks English.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Thanks for the help above. Had a chat to Bob in Buriram and the pipe in the picture is from Tap Pipe.
http://www.tappipe.com/hdpesewerage-2/#

I had seen their website before and I have contacted them to see if they have a distributor in the HH area.

Brian sent some great Pics of his pipes from Home Mart. Unfortunately no Home Mart between here and BKK, but the pics are very useful to show the builders merchants what it is I am looking for. Unfortunately I am still getting 'wow - what is that ?' looks....

Bob also mentioned something called drain spaghetti which he has seen at Architect expos in BKK. Anyone seen that ? searches only seem to come up with food !
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Unfortunately no Home Mart between here and BKK
There is a big Home Mart at Tha Yang. East side of Petchkasem, south of the traffic lights. As you cannot turn right if coming form Hua Hin it will be necessary to turn left at the traffic lights, do a U-turn to get back on to the south bound side of Petchkasem at the traffic lights.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s also a Home Mart in Cha Am about a 100 metres before the first set of traffic lights if coming from HH.
Brewster
Novice
Novice

Post by Brewster »

Hi All.
I put in a "French drain" around my small workshop a couple of years ago. Got everything I needed from a company in BKK, NEODRAIN. Delivery was fast and inexpensive. Was not expensive for the pipes and fittings. Here is the webpage, price list included and in English!
https://www.uhm.co.th/en/neodrain_en/

Good luck!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Will you also be wrapping your drain aggregate in a water permeable, non woven fabric, to stop soil/sand etc, filling the drainage holes in the pipe?
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Went to Home Mart in Cha-am, and after initially being shrugged off after showing the picture (don't have, don't have), I saw the SCG catalogue and they had class 5 slotted pipe at 465 baht for 4m of 100mm. I need to order, and it will take about a week. Not flexible, but easy to work with and easy to integrate into existing drains around the garden. Tha Yang was also an order only situation.

I had looked at Neodrain, but the price for 100mm is 230 baht a metre and I thought delivery would be pricy from BKK. maybe wrong.

Got the gravel sorted out, size 2 (ish) for under and around and on top, and small gravel on top of that for the path.

Now all I need are some people to dig the trenches (25-30cm wide and 30-35cm deep). About 70-80metres. Which is not proving easy to find. Does anyone know if trench diggers are available here ? That would make the job so easy....

Good question about wrapping the stones and pipe in a permeable fabric. Some sites recommend it, but I have seen others say that the fabric gets clogged up with silt etc. Given that it is easier to do it without, I will probably give that step a miss.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

fft100 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:03 pm Went to Home Mart in Cha-am, and after initially being shrugged off after showing the picture (don't have, don't have), I saw the SCG catalogue and they had class 5 slotted pipe at 465 baht for 4m of 100mm. I need to order, and it will take about a week. Not flexible, but easy to work with and easy to integrate into existing drains around the garden. Tha Yang was also an order only situation.

I had looked at Neodrain, but the price for 100mm is 230 baht a metre and I thought delivery would be pricy from BKK. maybe wrong.

Got the gravel sorted out, size 2 (ish) for under and around and on top, and small gravel on top of that for the path.

Now all I need are some people to dig the trenches (25-30cm wide and 30-35cm deep). About 70-80metres. Which is not proving easy to find. Does anyone know if trench diggers are available here ? That would make the job so easy....

Good question about wrapping the stones and pipe in a permeable fabric. Some sites recommend it, but I have seen others say that the fabric gets clogged up with silt etc. Given that it is easier to do it without, I will probably give that step a miss.
Somebody with a Makro digger would make light work of it - can’t give you a contact myself but they seem to be everywhere?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

fft100 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:03 pm I had looked at Neodrain, but the price for 100mm is 230 baht a metre and I thought delivery would be pricy from BKK. maybe wrong.
You might be surprised. My son has had a few large items delivered from Bangkok. Fast, efficient and not expensive. I'd suggest you enquire how much for delivery - nothing to lose by asking..
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

fft100 I would definitely consider installing a permeable fabric. I’ve seen many French drains and it’s usually the ones that haven’t got it installed, are the drains that fail. 👍
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Khundon1975 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38 am fft100 I would definitely consider installing a permeable fabric. I’ve seen many French drains and it’s usually the ones that haven’t got it installed, are the drains that fail. 👍
Which permeable membrane would you recommend ? Hopefully something easily available in Hua Hin thanks. Is the blue/white sheeting you see everywhere suitable ? I have 72 sq.m. of it on a roll from a previous use.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Any Non Woven geo textile would do the job.
Not sure what is available in Hua Hin, but I expect it’s easily available there. 👌
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

I have been to many builders merchants, global house, garden centres and shown them Thai sites describing geotextile and they all say they don't have it, and don't know where (some point me to global house).

I have searched on the internet for geotextile, but apart from.manufacturers nothing is coming up on the retail side.

Anyone seen it in Hua Hin ?

I will have 8 cu.m. of gravel and 80m of slotted pipe sitting in the drive by the end of the week !

Many thanks